Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 AM   #1
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Had a discussion with someone lately regarding sizes of playerbases and how long it takes to reach a larger amount of players average online.

Does someone know of any newly started muds that has reached more than 50 players online average, or there about? By newly started i mean somewhere around 1 year or so.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:54 AM   #3
Hephos

Was thinking average, but well anyone know any muds that have player peaks at 50+ and are new, less than a year open for public?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:40 AM   #4
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
We did not hit 50+ for several years, I have heard of "new" muds which were basically spin-offs of other existing muds which started with code and areas doing well, but I've honestly not heard of any reaching a decent size in under a year...and I'm talking free muds, not commercial ones.
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:57 AM   #5
Hephos

Yeah i'm interested in any muds that has gotten a large pbase with 50+ at peaks that is NOT a spinoff of existing muds or muds starting up an old game that has closed down or similar.

I'm interested in any muds starting up from scratch with a completely new game idea and getting a pbase from scratch.

Anyone know of any similar muds?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #6
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
It's extraordinarily difficult these days... I believe they existed in fair numbers in earlier days, but recent market saturation makes building a strong playerbase more time consuming, and very reliant on a steady stream of advertising (and thus new players). Hitting 50 active players PERIOD in under a year is a fairly good acheivement these days.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #7
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #8
Hephos

Old 12-05-2003, 09:25 AM   #9
jornel

jornel is on a distinguished road
Muds are - after all - social games.  But when potential new player connect to your new mud and find it empty or sparsely populated, many don't even bother to try it out, no matter how many clever features you put in your game.  The feature they really want to find is interpersonal interaction.

Friends = happiness = success.  Applies to muds as it does in real life.
jornel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #10
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
Which brings up some important aspects of a successful launch: actively visible immortals, a few diehard players (likely former playtesters), and enough connections to bring in a quick batch to get things up to at least 2-3 average players for a week or two. That helps a lot.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #11
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:07 PM   #12
kubera

kubera is on a distinguished road
This sort of in the same vein of thought. What suggestions does everyone have for getting more new players into a game? Obviously there are banner ads as an option, but I'm looking for some maybe less traditional methods. And possibly methods to bring in players that haven't ever played muds. Any suggestions?
kubera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:13 PM   #13
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
You could try making promo-flyers and putting them in stacks around colleges.

One mud I worked at did this. They made the promos as PDFs so anyone could download, print them and put them wherever. Some people wanted to do this because everyone likes to have a local network of players.
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #14
myrdred23

myrdred23 is on a distinguished road
But how successful was such a campaign? Obviously, theres many different ways to advertise the game, but from experience, what methods have been most effective in gaining playerbase?
myrdred23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:58 PM   #15
tresspassor

It is a pretty generic form of advertising so the success is going to be determined by how much effort you put into the campaign and the game itself.

Here are some more generic advertising ideas.

The most successful campaign in advertising is when you advertise to the direct customer. So banner adds at TMS, TMC and Kyndig should be the most successful.

Stick to the free advertising on TMS, TMC and Kyndig. Do this as often as the rules allow. Try to keep your updates informative, let players know what the game is about, and also let them know new updates to the game. Make it clear that you are constantly building on the game.

If you want to retain customers from TMS, TMC and Kynding another obvious hint would be to treat every post you submit like you were talking to a prospective customer. Responding to posts with "**** off, idiot" probably isn't a great way to attract people.

Supplying needed information to the MUD community is a great way for some free advertising. If you posted the step-by-step guidelines for common MUD questions then it will become a resource. You can always have this on your web site, or just include your contact information with your mud at the bottom. I don't know how many times I have passed out yduj's moo duck tutorial. The same goes for writing articles.

After that you need to advertise where you think your customer will be on the net. purchasing google keyword adds would be a good start. Put an advertisement when someone types in "fantasy mud".

Your next option is to advertise where you think you will see customers in the real world. So advertising in comic book stores or around colleges would be a good bet. It isn't 100% assured that you will even find a client there because unlike advertising on TMS, TMC and Kyndig there is no way to know if people in that area will be interested in Mudding. But, there is a good chance.

Past that you can always try to join forces with a few other MUDs. If you have a specific type of genre for your mud (WOT, Cyberpunk, Pern) try contacting mud admin from similar genres. To avoid starting hate channels do this in a professional manner, so contact them outside their mud (check out their web site and send them an email). Just see if they would be interested in sponsoring an "open house" you will advertise for your players to check out that mud, and they will do the same.

Most importantly; keep a solid record of your advertising campaigns. I've done several add campaigns for companies (not muds). And the most important thing to remember is how successful each campaign is. If you have 10 banner advertisements track them all and see which one gains the most attention. Stick with the best campaigns. When you put a print campaign out record your net traffic and see if it does spike at certain times. Put the print campaigns out at different times (try a college one month, then a comic book store the next), this will make it easier to track. Be simple with your print advertising, don't expect users to go to You can do this for banner advertisements, just not print.

The more effort you put into it the more you will get out of it.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:49 PM   #16
kubera

kubera is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info Trespasser. Some of that stuff we have already done with some success (banner ads and tracking where users are coming from) but you definitely hit on a few points that I had not considered. Thanks for sharing the info!

One thing that we had possibly discussed on our mud is having like a month long reward thing where if you bring in two or more new players and they log X amount of play time (like 12 hours or a day or something like that) then they get a shirt for the mud. We have had several players say that if we did this they would be interested, however the implementation is really the question. We need to make sure that players aren't just starting another character and logging that amount of time to get the shirt. What do you think about that? If it worked, we get more players from recruitment/referral bonus stuff plus we get advertisements when players wear the shirts (albeit, untargeted ads).

Kubera.
kubera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:29 PM   #17
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I'd be a bit cautious about offering players rewards for bringing in new players to your mud.

Mouth-to-mouth is probably the most common - and quite effective - method of advertising for most non-commercial Muds, who cannot afford banners or other ads. But offering any substantial reward for promoting your mud, could lead to ill-advised players logging on to other Muds just to 'advertise' yours over the open channels.

And that in turn would almost certainly backfire, and make your mud look bad instead of good, although you yourself didn't do anything wrong. At least in my own mud, the players usually mock and ridicule anyone who tries that stunt, and most imps would not only ban them on the spot, but also log on to your own mud to complain.

If you want the players to help, it would probably be a better policy to ask them to write a review for the mud.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:16 PM   #18
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Do you really think so?

Does anyone with even the tiniest clue about mudding and the way those reviews work give them any credence?

I think most people know that mud reviews fall into two categories:

1) People who play (or most likely admin) the mud trying to pump it up.

2) People trying to slam it out of either a competitive desire or revenge.

Neither motivation make for very useful or honest reviews.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:14 PM   #19
myrdred23

myrdred23 is on a distinguished road
You mentioned tracking success of advertisement. You might not be aware, but with a MUD this is very easy to do, even when you have different advertisement campaigns running at the same time. Unlike advertisement for other companies, where you say your experience is at, with a MUD you can just ask a question to the player upon character creation, asking them where they found out about you.

This method can actually provide even more useful information, as you can track how long players from X source actually last on your MUD, ie one place you advertise might bring you lots of players logging on, but they don't stay, while another will give you fewer, but a better percentage who decide to play your game on a permanent basis.
myrdred23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:43 PM   #20
tresspassor

Great Idea!

With T-Shirts, one thing you could do is have a monthly award, a player-of-the-month. A player could be awarded on creating a great rp, bringing on a few lasting players, or just helping out a newbie. You could also throw in a few random drawings just so people don't feel left out.

Overall, I think this could be beneficial. If your players are having fun they will want to get more people on there regardless of the t-shirt. And you could still use that campaign to promote other useful activities (helping newbies, rp, etc), as well as getting new players.

One solution is to clearly define the rules. Don't spam on another mud, don't spam on any discussion forum, if you do you won't get your t-shirt.

I've had this happen to me, I think it happens on almost every mud. A player wants to help and they log into a mud to advertise. IMO it isn't a big deal, I just log into the mud and give the owner a heads up with the IP and that's it.

I've also had to deal with the reverse where players were advertising on other games, so I apologized and dealt with the problem. To me, it is just one of those things that can happen no matter if you ask your players to advertise or don't ask them to advertise.

As long as you are clear about important issues like that you shouldn't have any problems.

Pbase Success? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pbase wanted The Nihilist Advertising for Players 0 09-22-2006 08:32 AM
Success of Imping Quests into a Hack-n-Slash ? SirTank MUD Administration 20 02-03-2005 03:29 AM
Drawing a Pbase Luthien MUD Administration 8 04-30-2004 05:02 PM
Pbase Graph Hephos MUD Administration 12 02-06-2004 04:51 PM
Almost success for a school mudder Seraph Newbie Help 4 08-15-2002 11:16 AM