Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 02-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Rykkan

Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
wasd

wasd is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I don't promote any mud but I do have a couple of suggestions.

I think any of the IRE (Iron Realms) muds meet your criteria. Namely, Lusternia or Imperian. Although all of them are top-notch.

Also, not too new but at the top of the list is Geas. It is RP intensive, class-less and level-less and a ton of fun. I highly recommend it!

wasd
wasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Rykkan

Thanks, but I've tried those before and they're not quite what I'm looking for. I'd like something a -little- newer than those guys--they mostly seem as if they're just the older versions rereleased with a few updates, new class names, and a new world setting.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Errico

Errico is on a distinguished road
Check out Akanbar. I haven't played it for a while now, but it's a new (I think it's technically still in "beta", but it's been around for a while now) rp-intensive mud that fits most of your criteria. I played for a while before deciding to start playing Awakenedworlds which is a great mud, albeit not fairly new and not exactly what you're looking for -- it's a Shadowrun, ie Cyberpunk, mud.
Errico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Aarn

Aarn is on a distinguished road
Aarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Rykkan

Old 02-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Aarn

Well crap, sorry.  This is from one of our Implementors:

"Down for a bit."

The problem is with the server or network, not the MUD itself. We're in contact with our hosting company and presently going through our normal routine for troubleshooting and repairing the (currently unknown) problem. We'll update further as we understand more.

That's embarrasing, talk about bad timing!  Hope you get a chance to check it out once they resolve the issue.

Also, regarding "drama" issues with an older mud.  We certainly have our share of drama amongst our community of players.  I imagine even a newer mud wont be free of that.  With our mud itself, however, being 100% in-character, you have to visit various forums (especially the player-run forums) to get a dose of it.  During gameplay itself, everyone should be roleplaying their individual characters.  I think the occasional friction causer is inevetible when we're dealing with the anoynomous internet.

EDIT: Okay, our hosting company fixed part of the problem, and should be handling the rest shortly. For now our website and forums are back up, but not the game just yet.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Trying to powerlevel on AR while CF is down is a pastime for some guys. Because you can do things like this:

* attack/suicide your own guild guardian six times
* say OMG LOLZ d00d upon discovering your IRL friends are in the game
* whine about there being no charred bracers, spider axes, etc. Over a public channel.
* get ass kicked by goblins and say "this mud is gay"

You'll get deleted for it, but you can do them.

Abandoned Realms. Where its one big FREE happy deny party!
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
Did you mean for that to come off pointless and retarded?

Just curious. I couldn't decide if it was some kind of misconcieved satire or unintentional.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #11
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, it was just meant to be a bit of pointless fun and humour like I had to sit through. I'll take the eggs on my face sunny side up, thanks. Some entertaining events that transpired on our mud today courtesy of some bored mudders from Carrion Fields. It was an enlightening experience though, they brought up some issues with newbie levelling that hadn't been seen before, even while just messing around. CF's got a real gift in having helpful players like that.

I was very impressed to meet a guy that had been mudding since merc. Only other guy I've met that old wandering around on our mud was claiming to be Set (he wrote the stock areas Solace, Treetops, a few others)... its really cool to meet old farts like that.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
I am playing Achaea,First Age Avalon and Carrion Fields(just began today).I love all three of them.Very much involving.
And to correct the admin from Carrion,the muds from Iron are free of charge.Players can purchase extras if they wish.That is all
Anyway,fee; free to try those three.I am sure you will like one of them.

P.S. My character name in all MUDs is Ikki
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #13
Aarn

If you can get on and play for free, against folks who have purchased uber things with real money for their characters that they can never loose and you can never get (without paying them cash money too), I just don't count that as "free" mudding. "Free to get your ass kicked" maybe, or "Free to pay them cash."

Anyway, that's one of the reason I recomended CF to Rykkan. IRE muds advertise themselves for free, when they're not free. On CF, real money will never have an affect on a character in the game, ever.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #14
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
I was just responding to the admin from Carrion.
And even though Iron suggest buying extras,that is still a person's choice.
I surely play both Iron Realms games(right now Achaea) and Carrion.
As far as new ones,Lusternia would surely fit the bill.Lusternia is the latest from Iron Realms and it is also the most complex.
Another one may be Medieva,although I am not sure how new is that one
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #16
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Med is very old, and just mentioning it's name here sparks more flames than you want to know about. To sum up all the flames before the start, they have heavily modified the Diku licence, claim since they changed all the code they originally used the no longer have to abide by the agreement and now use Med to make money. They were kicked off TMS once for that(or so I've heard), and was let back not too long ago. They violted TMS rules, refused to abide by them and was removed again. Decide what you will with that, I don't feel like seeing that flame war start again.

Never played their games, so don't know much about it from there.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:12 AM   #17
sparky

sparky is on a distinguished road
[quote] I was very impressed to meet a guy that had been mudding since merc. Only other guy I've met that old wandering around on our mud was claiming to be Set (he wrote the stock areas Solace, Treetops, a few others)... its really cool to meet old farts like that.

lol my title is Evil old fart

yep were an older mud started aournd mid 1996 by a bunch of old farts , and yes were still kicking and still have alot of the origional players visiting daily

sparky aka lucifer owner and admin of
the secret of atlas 4444 or 4445
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
Clifton

Clifton is on a distinguished road
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #19
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
I'm confused. You're saying this is a game for pusses and you're proud of that?

Not every MUD is a competitive game, but if you're going to be one, do it right. How boring would it be to watch a basketball game where the teams didn't try very hard to score because they didn't want to hurt the other team's feelings?

No one ever became great at anything by being babied.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #20
Clifton

Clifton is on a distinguished road
Actually, I believe I said people don't get a rise out of cheese pks. So being able to one round a newbie, which is not much of a challenge, is not something a lot of vets reallly care to do. Instead, they'd probably go out of their way and help said newbie. If it's vet vs vet, it is no holds barred, and usually someone ends up naked. But, like I said, newbies who don't know what's going on and who are going get cheesed are given an easier time. I'd appreciate if you didn't attempt to misrepresent what I said in an implied ad mudinem attack.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote

Searching For A Mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Searching for MUD Hosting NotL337 MUD and RPG Webmasters 1 01-25-2009 11:13 AM
Searching for a Certain MUD... Selzion_Rift Advertising for Players 5 08-14-2007 10:02 AM
searching for mud bug TTTGames-Robert Bugs and Suggestions 0 08-10-2005 12:35 AM
Searching for a MUD... Scrod Fungus Advertising for Players 9 04-12-2004 03:58 PM
Game Searching... Omegadawn Advertising for Players 3 05-28-2003 04:08 PM