Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 05-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #21
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Hajamin: While all I know about this situation is what I have read here, and what Lisaera has told me, all I have to say is simple. How do we know they didn't completely remove all the DIKU code, and are not 100% original? If they are, then good, and welcome back to the community. If they didn't, I'm sure it will be found out, and they will again be banned.

Not even Medievia's Chief of Theft (or whatever they call their staff members) has claimed that they've implemented a clean restart. Their argument has always been "We've modified DIKU enough that the license doesn't apply to us", which doesn't hold legal or ethical water.

They're a modified DIKU, violating the license both in letter (no credits listed, using the codebase to generate profit) and spirit (the creators of the codebase have specifically condemned Medievia's use of it).

For a more involved discussion, see also:

As to why they have been allowed back, no official statement has been given to my knowledge.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #22
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
How about a little more about the manner of these banners, would it be something on the lines of "Play GeneriMud. PRESENTED BY IRON REALMS ENTERTAINMENT, KNOWN FOR ACHAEA AND OTHER TYPES OF STUFF."  Or would this be solely advertising the MUD in question?  I may not be the most friendly towards Logos, but at least I can be civil unlike some people.  As for Medievia, I think that this thread is not for the discussion of their DIKU theft, but wasn't the original topic of this thread the supposed advertisement?
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #23
Ilkidarios

And if Hitler walked up to you and offered you free clothing, I assume you would accept it without question?  Not that Logos is Hitler, but the comparison conveys my point.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #24
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Beats me. Whatever banners the MUDs in question want to run. I'm just paying for the space, not developing their advertising for them.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #25
Ilkidarios

Has anyone taken up this offer yet?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #26
tehScarecrow

tehScarecrow is on a distinguished road
tehScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #27
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
I invoke Godwin's Law.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #28
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
But you haven't - and even if you had, intentional invocation is ineffectual (see ).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #29
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
And Godwin's Law generally applies to the first person to invoke it (Lisaera), not the person replying to say it's not a relevant analogy.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #30
Gorgulu

Gorgulu is on a distinguished road
Gorgulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #31
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
This is one of the most repulsive marketing maneuvers that I can imagine. It's patronisitic, overbearing, and just spiteful. Here's a guy doing something that he believes in, so to spite him and the rest of the community, and to prove that money is the reason that TMS is here, lemme give one of you, the little guys, that can't charge for $$, a little help, just so you know how it might feel to be like me. It's repulsive.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #32
Gorgulu

'Repulsive'? I don't see how anyone can feel so strongly about this. Money is a #### important thing, you know, and whether or not you want to admit it Matt is obviously quite a bit more skilled at procuring it through this specific venue than many others.

So, no matter how 'conceited' this may sound, he is better than most of you when it comes to running a business, or at least this kind of business.

His offer is perfectly reasonable. He gets to look like the good guy (Whether he really is or is not is not a factor), three muds get to advertise for free, and, assuming that this is genuine, Matt gets to feel all warm and fuzzy inside for helping them.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:37 AM   #33
Janus

Janus is on a distinguished road
No doubt my opinion shall be dismissed due to my IRE affiliations, but I am going to express it never-the-less.

I am moderately disappointed that just about every topic seems to descend into flaming and general insults, I had rather hoped that the MUDding community, due the obvious intelligence that actually having the attention span required to enjoy MUDs, would be a little more mature. As far as I can see, it appears to be a no-strings, simple offer for those who produce a MUD purely for the love of it, rather than for any fiscal gain.

It seems a nice enough offer, made without any particular ulterior motive, and I really would just let it lie. The people given the advertising space are going to gain from it, and nobody is going to loose.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #34
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
I miss AoR sorely. God that was a good game, with such a great concept.

I've been considering asking voidrider if he would release the code for it to me, and I'd run it for him or with him if he'd be interested. Its definately worth preserving.

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:13 AM   #35
Hardestadt

No Matt. Your wicked little beard, pointy tail and pitchfork mean that even when you breathe, you're only doing it to increase the carbon dioxide of everyone elses air. You evil man you!

-H
Old 05-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #36
Hardestadt

I decided to take the plunge.

I've posted in the hope of getting Voidriders attention on the AoR boards which I used to run, here:

If anyone knows him, could they let him know please?

-H
Old 05-14-2005, 02:45 AM   #37
tehScarecrow

tehScarecrow is on a distinguished road
I miss AoR. I was Rowr, then when he died I became his driven younger brother Rawr, bent on revenge.
tehScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #38
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
It's blatantly not a an offer, that has no ulterior motive. Matt said so in his first post:

Rhuarc(sp?) of Mud Drake hosting has posted that he's going to cease advertising on Topmudsites because of the admission of Medievia. Iron Realms has nothing against Rhuarc, but we don't wish to see Synozeer lose out financially from his decision.

Which is spin. Instead of allowing someone else feel the void of someone who has ceased their advertising, Matt is taking it upon himself to save TMS. He says it in the last line, He doesn't want to see Synozeer. The people who have ethics and morals and are trying to make a stand against what they believe is right, are being slapped in the face by the Patranistic IRE, and commercial MUDs.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #39
Gorgulu

Oh, come on. Drop the holier than thou attitude.

Topmudsites likely brings in a large amount of players for IRE, and if TMS was injured it would likely reflect on some of their games. It is perfectly reasonable for them to want to invest a bit of money into the site, what with all the free advertising they get here for being on the Top 10 list.

That he's decided to let some others use the advertising space he purchased is just icing on the cake. And, as has been said, no one loses in this deal. There's nothing but benefits for both IRE and those who accept the offer. Well, save for the fact that a bunch of stuck-up forum members will flame them.

Also, what's the #### is this 'stand against commercial MUDs' that you seem to be supporting? The fact that they accept money makes them evil, or what? The exchange of currency for quality services, i'll have you know, is not a sin. It is, in fact, a perfectly 'moral and ethical' thing.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #40
Jaewyn

Jaewyn is on a distinguished road
[quote= (Gorgulu @ May 14 2005,12:42)]Whether you love or hate commercial MUDs, the fact that they survive means they are providing a service that some people are willing to pay for. Just because some other people here are against commercial MUDs, it doesn't mean they are a bad thing.

I too see Matt's offer as a little arrogant, but that's just the way Matt is. It would be a very boring place if we were all clones of each other.

I think Matt is just trying to help out in his own way. If you don't like his offer then don't take him up on it, but don't hang others that do.

And for the record, I have no affiliation with TMS, IRE or any other MUD, this is just my opinion.
Jaewyn is offline   Reply With Quote

IRE will advertise for you. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advertise your MUD in zMUD. Last week of bidding Zugg MUD Administration 0 02-16-2006 03:59 PM
Advertise with OGR! Siobhan Advertising for Players 0 07-03-2002 11:22 AM
Advertise with Online Gaming Resource MUSH! Siobhan Advertising for Players 0 04-19-2002 11:12 AM