Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Burrytar

Burrytar is on a distinguished road
Long-pose RP-enforced MUDs

I usually play MUSH-style games; but since I've been seeking a new place to play, I want to consider also those MUDs that are rp-enforced, with the condition that the players favor paragraph-long poses. I'm not as familiar with the MUD scene as I once was, however, and don't remember which MUDs are actually like that, if any, nowadays. Is your MUD laden with wannabe writers? Do you want one more? Then throw your name in the hat, and I'll swing by.

(For those other MUDs, please don't respond merely because you think your rp is great. I'm looking for something more than just great rp. I'm looking for a particular style, as described. Good luck finding players, but I'm not your guy.)
Burrytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Long-pose RP-enforced MUDs

This is so far not my thing as to be undescribable, but I believe the Inquisition (there's 2, you want the one with players, lol) is like this. I remember that I tried once, and people disliked me because I didn't emote things like facial expression, or any number of things I could have.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Burrytar

Burrytar is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I get why a lot of people wouldn't go for that style. In my case, it's pretty much essential. I don't process new information quickly enough for short-pose MU*s. It can take me two or three minutes just to figure out what's going on and come up with a basic idea how my character might react. And then there's still the writing to be done. It's still an issue for me on long-pose MU*s, but it's mitigated by the fact that people expect a longer time between poses.
Burrytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

You may want to stick to the mush/muck style of game--muds tend to be about mechanics. Even the best rpis that I'm aware of advertise their mechanics: unique magic, emote experience point system, xxx, yyy, and of course zzz...

I think the reason you have trouble finding this is because most people have other things to do on a mud--I can go fight off a dragon for the ring of power or something, I'm not going to sit in the tavern north of the common square and emote all day long (though, an engine for an emotive combat system that can Gage the plausibility of emotes entered as attacks and work out damage, besides instantly earning you a PHD in computer science, would be really fun).

You might have luck with moos--the few I know of tend to be fast-pased, though, and again they generally have other things to do besides emote all day, but there are some social ones; lambdamoo is still active, of all things, though again it's not what you want.

Maybe Shadows of Issildur or Atonement; I don't know how they actually are, but they give the impression of having the option of being non-combative in all things and playing a ponderous rp style like that. Rp really isn't my thing, and I've never played either, so I can't really say. The only thing like this that's a "mud" that I'm aware of is The Inquisition.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road

This is rare to find.

For several reasons.

Not every player likes to emote that much. Additionally, it seems a little bit as if you favour ONLY emoting, and emotes are only ONE part of roleplaying a virtual character.

Also keep in mind that there are only few really rp-enforced MUDs.

If you would settle for the kind of roleplay where players DO roleplay, just not tend to do "paragraph-long poses" all the time, then you will find plenty of more MUDs to try out.

See, I don't think it is good to come to a MUD thinking "I only want to interact with players who act the way I want them to act".

MUDs, and roleplaying, is a give or take. You can't predict how others are going to react anyway.

In my opinion, if you narrow it down to just 0.0001% of the playerbase, then you won't be able to find lots of MUDs, or players to interact with anyway.

Players are different and so are their motives for playing a MUD. Narrowing it down more and more will lead to nothing but exclusion in the end.

Unfortunately this works both ways. I have seen it too often that some players only want to spoil the fun of others, make a scene, or just are casual players who wouldn't have more time anyway. And a MUD with only casual players will perish in the long run.

I am not saying you are one of these type of players. I am saying that, for a MUD, it works both ways with ANY new player.

In the end though, I don't think there are really many RP-enforced MUDs that favour intensive emote on such a level. Not even the one I tend to play on does it.
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Sebguer

Sebguer is on a distinguished road

Among RPIs, if you settle into the right cliques you can probably find people that stick to your style on Atonement or Harshlands. Armageddon definitely does not favor long emotes and is pretty much the opposite of what you want, though.
Sebguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Bogre

Bogre is on a distinguished road

It sounds like one of the RPXP RPI muds like the Inquisition or Dark Isles would really suit you. Long poses, focus on story and emoting, and less on combat/code. And even the combat is done in code.

Atonement and Harshlands also sometimes lean towards the lengthy emotes, but do have more touch of rapid fire things.

Armageddon is a beautiful game, but it is short-styled and intense, and probably not your style.
Bogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road

The Burning Post II is one of those 'inquisition' themed games that has been referenced by other people as fitting your play style. Here's the website for you to check out, if you haven't already:

I currently play there, and while there are no hard rules on emote length everyone tends to favor longer emotes over shorter ones. You'll get people like me though with certain styles and twists on that - I'm very dialogue heavy, when given the opportunity with my character, sometimes leaving out actions entirely.

Dark Isles and Echoes of Albion, both MUDs that fit the style you are requesting, are now defunct. However a new RPI is being made by a fellow from Shadow Siege, the predecessor of both those MUDs. Emotes are in turn, and combat is taken in turn by emoting out the action and then using the code to see if you are successful. The MUD currently opens on Tuesdays for player testing at 1:00 PM PST, and is getting very close to being opened for alpha. Here's a link to the website:

I hope you find a MUD to call home, and if you find anymore it'd be great if you could share them here. I'm always interested in checking out new MUDs.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Bah, since when? Armageddon's long one-line identifiers make even a smile a paragraph emote.

I would recommend Armageddon (if you can handle a harsh unfriendly environment). While Harshlands and Atonement (which I thought was dissolved?) do have people that paragraph emote, it is normally only during small group or one on one times, which is similar to NWA or other Roleplay Enforced games.

You might seek out some of the smaller MUSH games instead of MUD as MUDs tend to have some areas or people who paragraph emote the MUSH realm is filled with this. Consider though what your goal is. Are you really looking for long emotes or are you just wanted a rich epic environment of good interaction. One can smile in a way that is more meaningful than a bs filled paragraph of unneeded garbage. To describe with length and color is dutiful, to describe with brevity and intent is devine.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Alseid

Alseid is on a distinguished road

I used to play both MUDs, New Worlds and The Burning Post 2, I actually left New Worlds for BuRP and both have their strong points, I'd say give both a try even though in my experience NW didn't have long emotes the depths of RP that happen can be interesting, it was a little too hack and slash for my tastes and a little too "we all think this" in the IC world, but then I maybe should have made a rogue. Give it at the least a try and see if you like it, it's worth a go.

The Burning Post 2 however is filled with long emotes and people tend to favor that over just saying things. I wouldn't say they're paragraph in the sense of 5 sentences but they're pretty damn good anyway. I wouldn't recommend making a character to rock the boat at the beginning as the IC world is pretty harsh, and there's a lot to learn. There's no hack and slash at all, skills are advanced through roleplay and RPXP, you gain "inspiration" points for roleplaying and then from there you use XP and Inspiration to improve skills. I really felt a sense of growth and development while I was there, because you really have to develop the personality to gain the skills.
Alseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I would say I disagree with Alseid and say don't try New Worlds Ateraan unless you are used to roleplaying with hundreds of players and can handle the speed of the roleplay. It can be unnerving to non veteran roleplayers. There is a LOT of long paragraph emote roleplay, but that is normally just 1 on 1 or in small groups or large events where you are in charge (theatrical plays, seasonal events, religious and political events, court trials, etc).

The world allows for creative style and writing but as Alseid stated, there is a lot of combat (said as hack/slash) which includes invasions, murder and intrigue as well as archaic political structure that can be difficult if thinking in nowaday styles of freedom of speech and other such modern me-me-me mentality. Guilds are tough, the law is tough, the politics are tough. All of this is rewarding but not for the faint of heart or those used to having it their way.

I would instead say to you to seek out a true MUSH that favors turn by turn play or a game that is more kid friendly.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
Alseid

Alseid is on a distinguished road

Sorry, wasn't trying to bash NW :-p.
Alseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Newworlds
Legend

Well that wouldn't be very nice if you were, because you'd be bashing hundreds of the best roleplayers on the planet.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
DarkIsles

DarkIsles is on a distinguished road

Dark Isles is now reopened on a new port, for those that are interested, the details are:

The game is now located on port 8500.

Host: dark-isles.com
Port: 8500
DarkIsles is offline   Reply With Quote