Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Ceddrwyn

Ceddrwyn is on a distinguished road
Creating a Windows mud

I think this has been asked several times but there doesn't seem to be any current answers so I am going to ask again.

I am looking to start a mud. No matter what bad press it has recieved, my hearts still stands with Circle, DIKU and such. I have a Laptop that has Windows 7 as well as a desktop I am currently trying to convert to a LINUX OS. The desktop is an old 95 that has been upgraded to 98SE so it is limited though I have been thinking of upgrading it.

Since Circle stopped coming up with new releases ages ago, I am having trouble finding something that I can design and run. I would prefer C coding, I already have the GNU GCC compiler.

I have looked into Aber Muds, Dead Souls, and LP muds. LP is promising but there are several features that I found, at least with the mud that I played, that I liked.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ceddrwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno
Re: Creating a Windows mud

Hm tried checking out ?
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Trip

Home MUD: Deckeon
Trip is on a distinguished road

Not to nitpick, but you didn't actually ask a question.

Dead Souls runs on windows, as does Dawn of Time as Zeno mentioned. You can find a number of ROM window ports over .

Also if you use cygwin you should be able to run most bases on a windows box. Including which picked up where circle left off.

Best of luck!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Ceddrwyn

I was looking for any suggestions or help. I was hoping to have something as close to circle as possible. I tried tbamud but no one was on there and it didn't make me an imm so I could only go so far.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Zeno

Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno

TBAMUD is what you want then if you're looking for Circle.

If you can't figure out how to make yourself an Immortal, I'm not so sure you should consider starting up a MUD quite yet. Get some experience working for one first, maybe.

Good read:

Last edited by Zeno : 05-26-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Ceddrwyn

I have been an imm on another mud. When I logged into TBAmud, there was a tutorial in which you are supposed to be made an imm in order to go through your commands. This didn't happen. It was already set up. I didn't realize there was a source code to make my own TBAmud. I will have to look into that.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
Ceddrwyn

I was able to install Linux Mint with Virtual Box and I started to compile TBAmud but some of the commands are not the same. I have gotten to typing ./autorun and then I keep getting errors saying the system can't stat a file becuse it is not found I can manually open the folders and I see the files. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Zeno

Can you paste what you're doing? Input and output.

Make sure the permissions are correct (chmod).
Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Ceddrwyn

I was able to get the sourcecode to compile correctly and read the license.
I was able to create the make file under the src directory.
The next step, according to TBA's webpage is to go to the main tbamud folder and type ./autorun &
This is where I am receiving the error message.
I got ahold of Rumble and he says it looks like there is a read/write error diabling me from accessing the syslog file. I keep getting these error message:

mv cannot stat syslog
No such file or directory
fgrep syslog: no such file or directory

I can manually access these files and folders. Rumble said the messages are annoying, but not harmful.

Last edited by Ceddrwyn : 06-03-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Considering the insane cheapness of MUD/web hosting, is there a reason you don't simply go that route?

It makes things more stable for any potential players or code/build help, and also eliminates the need to figure out how to get one of these codebases to work on windows.

I believe you can get decent hosting for $5 a month or cheaper.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
Ceddrwyn

I got it to work. No permission errors, just missed something that wan't explained in step. Was able t log on initially as telnet localhost 4000 but I can't get back in. I have tried telnet 127.0.0.1 4000 and entering my ISP but I get a timeout error or connection refused. I went into firewall and opened port 4000, but no luck.

I don't want to pay for a server until I at least have an alpha version available for testing.

Which mud server is $5 a month. I was going to set up my own server eventually.

I read the documentation at circlemud, typed /bin/circle & to restart mud and was able to connect. What do I need to do to keep my mud up on my computer in between seesions, or am I going to have to restart everytime?

I just found FrostMUD.com, supposedly a free hosting site. Anyone know anything about this? There is an addition to the TOS from 2009. I wrote the owner to see if he is still doing this. Heh he, he is in my state.

Dune offers basic hosting for $6 amonth.

On average, what kind of bandwidth am I looking at maximum? Not with a lot of players. If it is successful, I can always upgrade.

Last edited by Ceddrwyn : 06-11-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 06-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Zeno

You want to be running the script to boot the MUD. In circle, I think it's autorun. Do this command:
nohup ./autorun &

You probably shouldn't have to worry about bandwidth.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Ceddrwyn

I got it up. If/When I go with a server, what are the steps? Is there a site out there that shows the steps?

Does anyone have any suggestions about finding a decent coder?

Last edited by Ceddrwyn : 06-14-2011 at 03:24 AM.