Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 04-18-2002, 05:19 PM   #1
Caxandra

Caxandra is on a distinguished road
We've recently had this question posted to our mud, since it seems every guild wants to have it's own leveling spot. The unfortunate side effect to this is after they build their on select spot, the builder seems to disappear before he/she finishes any 'loner' areas. Is there any balance to this or should I suck it up and take our few *good* builders to build the loner areas?
Caxandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Do these people still play and use that leveling area? If so, don't put it in until they've done a 'loner' area as you put it. That would show them that building for their own benefit alone will not be tolerated.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:23 PM   #3
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
agreed.
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
welcor

welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
I'd suggest keeping a list of necessary zones publicly available. This assures people know what has to be done, and if someone comes up with an idea, they can just check the list, and if it fits an area needed, post a message that the area is being worked at. And don't allow thise 'special guild' areas until you've seen some production, as Orian suggested.
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 09:27 PM   #5
sabia

sabia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to sabia Send a message via AIM to sabia Send a message via MSN to sabia Send a message via Yahoo to sabia
Exclamation

sabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 09:37 PM   #6
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
I don't fully understand the idea of guild levelling ideas, I guess the muds I've played on don't have a reason for them.

If you're having problems with builders completing other areas, maybe they should be required to produce a loner area before they can do a clan one. If they're serious about building areas in general, not just serious about building clan areas, they'll stick around.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #7
Falconer

Falconer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Falconer
I'm going to assume from some details in your post that your MUD is either not focused on roleplaying or only makes minor prods toward it. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.

Seeing as how players want areas that are specifically designed for themselves and their group to level in, you need to look at the reasons for their request. Here's what I came up with:

1) They want a safe haven from player killers of other guilds.
2) They want an endless supply of mobs for them to hack at without fear of someone else that isn't friendly clearing the area first.
3) They want isolation.

I don't think that any of the three listed encourage what every MUD emphasizes in some way: interaction.

Say you do see some positive benefits to the idea, or the whining just gets to be too much to take, why not have the players in the guild do some work for their special area? Have them create the layout, design the rooms and write the descriptions and then send it in for approval. If it's approved, it gets put in with one or another staff builders creating the objects and mobiles that will appear within. If it isn't, they'll need to try again and resubmit.

Giving players a challenge will do one of two things: they'll surprise you or they'll come to their senses.

Either way, you win.

Best!
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:40 PM   #8
Neranz Laverani

Neranz Laverani is on a distinguished road
One other possible reason for wanting a guild levelling area is to have items that are only available to the guild members through the area. If items are allowed, every item in the area would have to be scrutinized carefully (not to mention mobiles and gold).

Back to the original question. If you allow guild members to make their own levelling areas, you could have them work on another area concurrently. The levelling area would be hooked into the mud when the other area was. Most likely they will build the levelling area first, but they will have to finish the other area, to your satisfaction, to get their area in. To be honest, I would not expect more than the two areas out of them. If they were inclined to be a builder, they will continue building after the two. It sounds like they are only interested in getting something for their guild though.

Do you have to immortalize these people on the main mud to allow them to build the guild areas? If so, I have three possible recommendations:
1. Open a building port
2. Make an offline editor
3. Have your coder set up a trust system where mortals can build on one assigned area at a time.

To be honest, these are all good steps while testing new builders.

Neranz Laverani, Seeker of Knowledge
Neranz Laverani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 01:41 PM   #9
Caxandra

I love this forum. Each of you have brought up an aspect I had not thought of and I greatly appreciate it. I have posted the question to our players and it does seem to be appealing to them all to have a leveling spot-- some for the rp reason of 'training' and earning guild items in an training environment. Others so that there is less 'kill stealing' in the other areas of the mud. I do like the idea of if they want their area in, they also have to build area X and they'll both be put in at the same time. Thank you all so much for your time and thoughts.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:43 PM   #10
Cierin

Cierin is on a distinguished road
Cierin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:05 AM   #11
Miyamoto

Miyamoto is on a distinguished road
I just want to say, I've played a bit of AWW in the past weeks, so I've seen the notes on there about this as well.  Personally, while I disagree overpowering clans/guilds by giving them access to special leveling places others can't use, I believe that it makes sense, In Character.  A powerful entity like the White Tower has teachers and practice yards, etc., as should any organization, except perhaps the smallest.

I suggest clans with an IC justification for their leveling area keep them, but those who can't, should not.  Gleemen should not have leveling areas that involve combat.  The Seanchan most certainly would have private training for their troops.

I realize my opinion centers on a specific genre, and isn't going to help others... But those are my thoughts.
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 06:12 AM   #12
Caxandra

All thoughts are welcome. I'm still collecting notes from the players about this as well, and hoping to find some middle ground between just a mud of leveling guilds and a good place to interact with others in an environment condusive to roleplay.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:04 AM   #13
Igneo

Igneo is on a distinguished road
Igneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 07:55 PM   #14
Grey

Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
I personally find that guild coding is a privelage that should be granted special permission for. If someone has not even made an area and is still an appretice, why should they even be allowed to code a guild. Contributions should start small and build up slightly. Guild coding is a big job anywhere, if done right, and a good deal of time should be spent on it.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:32 AM   #15
Neranz Laverani

Neranz Laverani is on a distinguished road
Moved from Builders Forum
Neranz Laverani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:17 AM   #16
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
If your good builders are not very busy or involved with their current areas, have them do a room or two a day. If the loner area isn't that important anyways, why bother having a builder set on that.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 07:43 AM   #17
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:33 PM   #18
TG_Hammar

TG_Hammar is on a distinguished road
Personally I frown on areas that only certain players can level at, BUT I like the way we have GUILD areas set up on Tarmon Gai'don: GUILD areas are off-limits to ANY mob killing. GUILD areas have special eq for guild members to purchase(slightly better eq than you can buy elsewhere, but not as good as eq you can get off of mobs). GUILD areas are designed 100% for RP and IC development.

IF, and I mean IF you persist on having guild leveling areas, I suggest the use of mprogs to make it more IC. An example would be a Warder to train warriors: when you type <kill warder> the mprog commands peace, then would give a message like "So, you wish to spar and practice your sword a bit lad?" the mob grunts and emotes drawing his sword and starting the combat. When the mob dies it will emote that it bows to honor the winner of the spar and congratulates them before reloading the mob back into the room.

This is just an idea of a way to keep GUILD areas more IC and promote more RP...unless you dislike RP, then ignore everything I just said...err, wrote...umm, nevermind, just go MUD.
TG_Hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:26 AM   #19
Warhead

When I read the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was the concept of guilds/clans gaining levels, like players (I've played on a MUD where clans gained levels).

As far as guilds having levelling areas, I strongly disagree with this.

First, I think that it, in the long run, will create lethargy in the members of the guild(s).  Because if I have my own levelling area that I can't be interrupted or PK'd in, why would I want to go out and explore the rest of the world?

Second, on an RP MUD, how many guilds are going to actually undertake a project of "cultivating" mobs for slaughter? Such a project would be extremely time consuming, and a logistical nightmare for the guild.  If you allow the option, it should come with some considerable upkeep costs.

Third, while I can understand the logic of a "training ground", I don't see how that translates to killing mobiles.  I could understand having some "training" mobiles, for improving skills and such, but this type of training should be of the non-lethal type.

I'm from the PK world, and when members of guilds/clans are in their guild halls or restricted levelling areas, doing whatever, they're not out in the real world, exposing themselves to PK.  I understand that the RP world is different, but I think that having guild only levelling areas will hurt the overall interaction of players on a MUD, regardless of the MUD's format.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:43 AM   #20
Dre

Dre is on a distinguished road
Heya all,

I think building your own guild hall is very nice actually. I disagree with keeping it for guildmembers only. The guildhall should be something to show potential members what the guild is about and show the prizes and riches of the guild without them being able to touch them.

Of course guildmembers would want some privacy, but they don't need an area with mobs in it for that. Maybe a few mobs that can't be attacked or will unable to be killed. Those mobs can then be used to prac/train or sell/handout guilditems to guildmembers.

The idea to make a xp zone just for one specific guild seems very odd to me. It would depend on the xp if people will join that guild?

Just my thoughts,

Dre
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote

Guild Leveling? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you love leveling? ScourgeX Advertising for Players 0 05-05-2006 05:44 PM
Join our WoW guild! Brody Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 01-07-2005 09:36 PM
New Guild Opening kubera Advertising for Players 0 01-12-2004 12:56 PM
Guild Leaders Marik Advertising for Staff 0 11-06-2002 12:10 AM
Game Directors Guild Alexander Tau MUD Announcements 0 05-22-2002 06:07 PM