Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Violette

MSP or Triggers?

Could triggers be used instead, if a mud client doesn't support Mud Sound Protocol?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: MSP or Triggers?

Well, there definitely are some clients that support full-featured scripting languages, or even languages such as C#, etc. Whether they allow these scripts to access other objects that could play the sound, I'm not sure. But maybe look at clients such as MUSHclient and Wintin.net.

Now that I'm thinking about it, most clients support a log file, right? Could you write a small application that scans your log file periodically, and plays a sound if it reads a particular text pattern?
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough

GMud can play sounds when triggered as I use this to alert me to skill gains or when I'm low on health, so I assume ZMud can do it too. I thought once about getting some music together and putting in a bunch of triggers for a particular MUD so the music changed depending on what area you were in.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

Zmud and Cmud can indeed produce sound through the use of triggers, the following trigger would make a beeping sound when a skill increased if the mud sent the text "Your knowledge of <skill|spell> has increased by <#> points.":

#TRIG {Your knowledge of * has increased by * points.} {#beep}

Also Cmud supports Lua, Visual Basic, JavaScript and other real-world languages so its uses are really nearly unlimited.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Violette

Thanks for the replies!

Ide: I've no scripting ability except basic HTML... but I appreciate the advice. I guess I'll just stick to clients which support the protocol.

Xerihae: I was thinking of this too. I've looked through the sound files that come with some MUDs which use MSP, and haven't found music yet, just short wav sounds. (I wonder if that is because people get tired of hearing the same tune over and over...)

Fizban: Thanks for that. I'm thinking of getting CMUD...

By the way, do all MSP clients support mod/xm/s3m/it files, as well as wav and mp3?

And an off-topic question: Is it possible to configure the web browser so that instead of launching the default telnet it would launch something else like Putty?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough

I should probably mention one of the reasons I didn't go through with my idea, apart from me being a lazy git. The problem with using triggers as GMud has them is that there's no way to build into the trigger a check to see if the sound file is already being played. Therefore, what do you use to trigger the music? The room name? Possibly, but what if someone types "look"? Does it start playing again? Play two lots at the same time? Either is irritating. If your MUD supports having the area name appear in your prompt you could trigger it from that, but since you get a new prompt display every time you do an action you'd run into the same problem.

I've no idea about MSP though, because it's not something I've bothered researching. This is mainly due to the factI realised that if it's a game I play a lot rather than occasionally (something like Civ 4, most other RTS's, a lot of FPS's), I almost always turn the default music off and have my own media player running in the background as I quickly get bored of the default music playing over and over again.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

I take it GMud doesn't let you do a conditional check in the trigger itself? Here's an idea...when you start your session have a variable, call it soundPlayed, with contents something like soundPlayed=no, and make your trigger print the soundPlayed variable to the screen (probably with a tell to yourself or something). Then, have a trigger that looks for soundPlayed=no, which changes the variable to soundPlayed=yes, and also triggers the sound loop. Etcetera.

Obviously this could get annoying unless you have a way to filter the soundPlayed to another window or something. Would GMud handle this gracefully?
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote