Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 08-26-2002, 07:14 PM   #1
Faye

Faye is on a distinguished road
I'm just wondering... has anyone out there actually found/ used free MU* hosting? If so, I'd really like to know where you've found it and how it is, since my ideas are big but I'm a little strapped for cash as of late.
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:52 PM   #2
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:53 AM   #3
thelenian

thelenian is on a distinguished road
thelenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
dnvnquinn

dnvnquinn is on a distinguished road
Re: The Holy Grail- Free MU* Hosting

I know what you mean Faye. I've been looking on a few forums and have some responses but everytime I get someone offering me a free server they either back out before setting it up or just don't respond after that. It's frustrating. Though, I can't be too disappointed, seeing as I'm asking for something for free to develop on.
dnvnquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: The Holy Grail- Free MU* Hosting

Yay, something I can help with.

If you're starting with a godwars base, Tijer might have something--godwars.net has a forum, and he hosts a few people, but I'm not sure if it's open to the public or not.

If you've posted a lot on mudbytes in the past, there's zeno's, requiring either 5 mudbytes posts or a posted article/snippet--the posts, if you go that route, have to be substantial; they can't just be a hello or something, but have to add something to a discussion, or something. Again, not too clear on the exact criteria, but it's available.

I know someone named kline (Spelling?) runs something at stormhunters.net, but again, not too clear on the details. I've also heard of a few other places, and mudconnect.com has a list of free and paid hosts.

The truth is, you probably don't need a host at the moment. You could probably just develop on your own pc using cygwin or a vm; alternatively, just install linux (wubi, but I don't know if that works with latest windows versions, but if it does, you keep both and linux can't accidentally destroy windows easily). If this is a multi-person project, you could use version control, something I sincerely wish more mud coders used, and get something with sourceforge or github; if your project is going to be closed-source, that's obviously not an option. If you have a computer, use that, in combination with one of the free dynamic dns services; some of the wireless routers even come with them, nowadays.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote

The Holy Grail- Free MU* Hosting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Hosting fatemud MUD Announcements 0 01-14-2007 04:53 AM
Free Hosting fatemud MUD Announcements 0 12-18-2006 01:49 AM
Free mud hosting ulrik MUD Administration 0 10-23-2005 08:48 PM
Free mud hosting available vrakk Advertising for Staff 0 02-09-2005 09:55 PM
New and Improved Free mud hosting Xanferious MUD Humor 14 05-09-2002 08:00 AM