Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Saire

Saire is on a distinguished road
Roleplay

I've played a certain MUD for near 2 years straight. I love the RP there that it is simple and fun and usually you can have many different activities with your RP with different characters you interact with.

I have ONE huge problem though. The staff does excellent RP plots except that each and every one of them practically we probably get your character killed if you participate. there is at least a chance of this in every event I've seen staff create. It frustrates the hell out of me for a few reasons: 1. Its an RP MUD so dying takes a very profound effect on your character. 2. I love to RP and I want to participate but if each time, I die, there is also a chance of permadeath in the game so that would SUCK if my character happened to be permadead because of an event. 3. It takes hell of time to recover from a death in game.

anyway enough of my rambling and complaining.

What I want is please tell me a nice RP MUD that is simple and fun and not hard to get involved in some RP with, please and thank you!
Saire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road
Re: Roleplay

The staff at the Burning Post II are so against players dying in their plots that it sickens me sometimes. >.> You can go there - I currently play there and if you need help or have any questions, feel free to PM me here, send a tell to Felix on the MUD, or simply log on and use the visnet channel to pose your questions.

I've also recently been reading up on Dark Risings. Looks like there's some RP to be had there, in a less strict fashion, but I haven't yet rolled a character. It's non-permadeath.

You might also try Threshold. I've looked at it a few times but never could get into their theme. The head honcho of that game is pretty active though, so it's thriving.

While you play any one of those you might want to check out Broken Cycle RPI, a new RPI coming out with a slower scene pace comparable to MUSHs, but with that same old coded representation of combat and crafting that MUDders know and love. I've spent a lot of my time helping them where I can, and I have faith that the head staffer will create a story worth hearing. When the game opens for roleplay you don't have to worry about dying because there will be no playerkilling at the start; the village the game is set in is relatively peaceful and murder is unheard of. Of course, that innocence will fade...

Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the shout out, Leech.

Saire: If you want to know more about Threshold I would be happy to discuss it either here in this thread or in PMs.

We have a great community of roleplayers who create awesome player plots in addition to the really fun staff designed plots/storylines. We try to avoid plots that result in mass player deaths as we know how discouraging that can be.

With that said, sometimes death is an important dramatic element in storytelling. When overused though, it gets pretty dull and repetitive.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I would say that if you are dying so much you might want to revisit how you engage in the events.

For me personally, it isn't roleplay if death isn't a risk. It is simply storytelling. While I would say NWA has any number of events that do risk death (huge invasions, religious/political uprising, plague, monstrosities, investations, magical occurences and so forth), there are numerous player and staff run events that do not (arena, festival, seasonal, religious, political, etc) that allow for non combatative choices. Even so, I do not know of one death risk event run by staff on NWA that you couldn't participate in a safe fashion (read: without running headlong into combat) without risking your life.

If you want massive events with so many people involved you have to log the event because it is so epic and you miss half of it scrolling on your screen, come to Ateraan. Home of thousands.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road

You could always try Unwritten Legends.

The Rp is varied and fun. There are contests, plays, balls, and yes- the occasional combat action.

The community is small, but excellent, while the staff are dedicated to making the game enjoyable for us all.

During events with combat many people die, but exp loss is turned off and player characters are pretty good about getting everyone revived in a timely fashion.

A recent thing is scaled mobs during invasions, that set their level and skills near whoever hits them first.

You can even play a complete pacifist, hiding in safe areas during invasions and fishing or foraging for exp and loot.

If you're interested in RP that is slow enough to understand completely at the time you're playing, you can find it there.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
TheBishop

TheBishop is on a distinguished road

After waiting three months to get validated to respond to your post, I would still HIGHLY recommend the Evolution of Esos. eoemud.com/8888. It's an RPI with a very engaging storyline, decently sized playerbase and very easy immersion. I think it might be what you're looking for.
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
Orion

Orion is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the mention Leech

I imagine that because of the brutality involved in those plots, they are very short, and the staff have to keep coming up with new ones at a fast pace in order to keep anyone interested. I prefer sustained plots, which means that characters only die in extreme circumstances, and as Leech mentioned, character-killing will initially not be allowed on Broken Cycle, barring perhaps accidents. This is because of the setting.

I think it's important to support players in enabling their characters to affect other characters in ways that don't result in either character's death, such as:

Blackmail, spreading rumours, theft, rape, assault, publicly humiliating a character, forming or participating in existing groups if you have a different opinion on how an aspect of the village is run, having criminals arrested or arresting them yourself if you're a law enforcer and then imprisoning them.

You'll also be able to have an active role in keeping character-killing from coming into the game, or delaying it at least. Since the village is peaceful by outsider standards, maintaining this peace will be key to determining when/if the policy on character killing changes and by how much. I can say for sure though that it will never be completely unrestricted.

Basically, I want to encourage conflict, while at the same time limit character deaths as much as the setting allows. I think both are possible. Part of this requires that characters roleplay realistic reactions to certain situations - if someone beats your character to a bloody pulp, for example, your character becomes wary of crossing them again.

I'll give some examples of a couple of situations that hooked me on a MUD I used to play.

I created my first character and immediately got involved with a group that were heading to an inn for lunch. One of them had a missing nose. Asking why he had a missing nose, my character learned that the leader of the group had cut off the man's nose for stealing from him. The two of them were both still alive and interacting.

Later on the leader of the group was attacked by a man concealed in a cloak, who ran off as others came along, leaving the leader of the group bleeding all over the fountain. The concealed man could have just killed the group leader, but the player decided to set it up so that others came along and interrupted him.

In both of these situations, all characters remained alive. Players put the continuation of the storyline above any desire to simply want another player's character gone, and still managed to keep it interesting.

Long post, sorry. My MUD isn't open for play yet, but should be sometime in November, or December at the latest.

Last edited by Orion : 10-22-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote