Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 03-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
feltsu

Home MUD: DelphineMUD
feltsu is on a distinguished road
How to start making my very own MUD?

Hi!

So like I told in the introdution I posted earlier, I would love to code my very own baby (MUD)

Now I'm asking for help, I would like to make a MUD that uses LP. Is there a ready code for a frame? Without any game content? Does anyone even understand what I'm looking for? My brains is on hold, so I can't phrase my questions properly. Well if someone understands and can (and will) help me, I would really appreciate it

-Feltsu-
feltsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: How to start making my very own MUD?

Not sure on the LP codebases, but I know that LP is still a maintained codebase.

Could try that site, or drop by the to ask.

Best of luck.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

Why? Not to say that's a really bad idea, but codebase choice is not a spur of the moment thing. What codebase you start with is a BIG decision and there should be reasons why someone picks a specific codebase when starting out. One of those reasons should not be ignorance of other options, or doing what someone suggested they should. The goal is to find the codebase that best suits your needs, not the one that Joe (arbitrarily chosen name) thinks is best.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Telelion

Telelion is on a distinguished road

Would the mods mind stickying one of these threads? It seems like it might be useful to have one thread to answer how-to-start-a-MUD questions.
Telelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
feltsu

Well I guess you're right, the reason I want to use LP, is that I've played a LOT of DelphineMUD and it uses LP, so I would like to make similar MUD. Plus the admin in Delphine promised me some of his code, which of course I love Because IMHO it's the best MUD ever
Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
feltsu

And another point to your point is that I am under the impression that LP is an easy programming language, conserning MUDs, so if you can point me to an easier codebase, please do. I don't have any (except, my random text games, made in BASIC and C) coding experience, I'm only learning.

-EDIT-
Also the mudlib should be runnable under windows AND UNIX, because I'm using windows now, 'cause I've got only one computer, but when the MUD is ready I want it to run on a UNIX system

Last edited by feltsu : 03-23-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road

cgywin, virtual machine, etc.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
feltsu

I tried cygwin but for some unknown reason it didn't work, could be because I'm a noob, or it just sucks I would love to use it though, but I don't understand anything about anything Tried to read the help files but it was like reading some gibberish Now I'm trying out CoffeeMud, but it's kinda lame, or at least I think so :/
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Here's a thread I started to help out:
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #10

newbie is on a distinguished road

As previously suggested I'd take a look at Dead Souls, with an active community behind it (both on lpmuds.com and intermud) and it also fulfils your requirement of running both on Windows and Linux, without any need for Cygwin, VM's, AddLinux.

We have it running here smoothly on Windows98, Vista and Ubuntu/Debian
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for the late reply on this - so behind on so many things...

Anyway, this thread is now sticky, so a good place to discuss the qualities of various codebases and anything both technical and other people should consider before starting a MUD. Thanks!
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

The first place you should start is with this thread:

It will answer alot of questions on what to do and the road blocks you will find.

Good Luck
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Voidrider

Voidrider is on a distinguished road

I would probably go to mudbytes.com first and download a base lp source code from there, load it and make sure it compiles, then really check it out both in-game and from an unarchived copy on your computer. Read through it and make sure you can understand what you have and get an idea of what files have what in them.

THEN, if you're happy with lp, grab a snippet from somewhere (one that doesn't look crazy hard to add) and make an effort to add it to the code and recompile it.

Long-term plans are wonderful and all (like adding a "bunch" of code that another imp/admin is offering) but if you get all wrapped up in the code aspects of the mud, you can easily lose sight of the building and world direction/creation. I am sure that this simple fact is why many people have staffs on their mud and don't normally have a masochistic stripe. Seriously, coding without a background in coding can drive you into fits and building can be very time-consuming. Mix them together and keyboards and mice can become a little "damaged," to say the least.

I like to sit down, make a long-term PLAN, pick a codebase out that can best serve that plan, try to add some things to better manifest that plan, make sure it all compiles and runs, then create the world I have planned. Then test it all as it comes to life, preferrably before advertising the game anywhere.

I would also suggest downloading some other popular codebases and just checking out their files, too. You may find something you like better, you never know.

My other piece of advice would be to *always* get up and take breaks and leave the mud stuff alone, especially if you feel like you are working a second job or becoming frustrated. You might be surprised at how clear a problem looks with fresh eyes later. Remember, it is a hobby and it supposed to be fun!
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
feltsu

Thank you for that "long-term" answer, I read it, a few times actually and you got me really thinking.. I must first try to check out the code and try to understand it, my friend told me that too, and I have been doing that, he also said I *really* should try to find some tutorials on LPC (Which I would live btw, does anyone know where I could find ones? Tried 'googlieng' with no luck).

And for the "other codebases", well.. Tried that too, with very little success I'm afraid But like you said, I never know, and I'm still new to this thing (all of this actually) so I'm very open minded to all suggestions And I will *try* everything you guys can throw at me! So good luck to me!

-Feltsu
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Thagrahn

Name: William
Thagrahn is on a distinguished road

I'e seen a few different things about Building your own MUD, and before I event start thinking about weather or not I want to start my own MUD, I have a few things I want to get answers for.

1. In room quadrant and coordinate system for setting the relative location of things in the room.

2. Being able to use the quadrant and coordinate system in the room to determine how long it takes for a PC or NPC to move through the room. This would allow a more realistic movement through rooms instead of going through rooms at the speed of entering the directions.

3. Being able to use the quadrant and coordinate system in each room to create smooth transitions in the terrain. So if there is water flowing from a spring in one room, and the water passes through several rooms before reaching a lake, the water all flows in the correct direction.

4. Ranged weapons with limited ammo, and reloading. It's not very realistic to be able to fire a musket, shot a heavy crossbow, loose a longbow, and swing a sword all at the same speed round after round.

5. Stealth, hiding, attacking while hidden, and moving without being detected (Only the people who detected you would event get a posting of you entering the room) and precision based damage for a successful attack while hidden.

6. Being able to attack with ranged weapons into rooms that can be seen from the room you are in. (Two rooms maximum)

7. Crafting. Let's face it, that's a lot to cover on it's own.

8. Giving the character a reasonable carrying capacity based on strength, and adding the weight of what a character is carrying/wearing to the characters weight (Usually based on size and race) to determine if another character can lift/carry/drag the body. (Such as in Kidnapping, or trying to bring the body to a temple for healing or resurrection)

9. Allowing multiple ways for weapons to be wielded, letting the Player choose how to wield a weapon based on how it can be, and letting player choose is a shield is to be used as a weapon.

10. How to set up the character creation; Races, templates, classes, modifying stats, setting initial stats, setting initial skills based on class/race/template/stats, setting up the character creation process, preventing the use of vulgar or offensive character names.

Until I can understand enough about the working and coding of MUDs to have a solid understanding of how these things should and could work in a MUD. I don't want to event waist my time thinking about trying to create my own MUD event though I do like the Idea of having a Custom MUD based on my own ideas.

So basically, if you don't event have a clue as to what you need to learn to create the MUD your thinking of, Focusing on making your own MUD will just cause you heart-ache and lost time. So if your new to developing MUDs, do your self a favor and put building your own MUD at the bottom of your list, and finding a MUD tutor at the top. To build your own MUD, you have a lot to learn, and a nice large community of people who have already seen success and failure to learn from.
Thagrahn is offline   Reply With Quote