Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 09-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
caspin00

caspin00 is on a distinguished road
Hello all, I've recently got the itch to learn a new skill, and since I love muds and computer gaming in general thought I'd try my hand at learning some programming. I figured what better way to learn then to mess around with coding a mud. So I was just curious what codebase you all would suggest. Although I never plan on opening this mud I do have an interest in classless systems, and while I'm sure any codebase can be made classless given enough time and ingenuity I was curious if there is a certain codebase that is just more suited to that type of system. Thanks in advance for your responses.
caspin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Sebeq

Sebeq is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sebeq Send a message via MSN to Sebeq Send a message via Yahoo to Sebeq
I've always been fond of the good ole fashion "dikumud" codebase.
Sebeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Caius

Home MUD: Star Wars: Chronicles
Caius is on a distinguished road
You can use Diku of course. But if you're looking for a codebase that you can use for learning programming I'd advice that you start with something more developed. Merc, Rom, Smaug, or whatever suits your taste.

Either of these can be turned classless (though Merc or Rom would be easier than Smaug) with a little work. I advice that you start with simpler things first though. Start with doing small changes and see how the mud reacts. Then install some well-documentet snippets, and try to change them to your taste. To learn programming commands and skills it's easiest to start by copying the code of another command/skill that does something similar, then change whatever needs changing to turn it into what you want.

Once you've done these things for a while, you can start coding new features from scratch. Also, and this is very important, buy a good book on C programming. Read, code, compile, code, compile, then read some more and start again from step one.

The reason I don't suggest starting with Diku is because you will probably have to do a lot of work to shape it into what you need (depending on what that is). Once you've gained more experience though, Diku can provide a good base for your new mud.

This is just my two cents anyway. Good luck!
Caius is offline   Reply With Quote

Codebase suggestion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for this codebase... Steel Leopard MUD Administration 2 08-25-2005 01:57 PM
possible suggestion (maybe missing it) zifnab Bugs and Suggestions 0 02-17-2004 10:14 AM
Here's a Suggestion Rjakegel Bugs and Suggestions 1 08-07-2003 04:25 AM
Suggestion Loremaster MUD Administration 2 02-15-2003 11:27 PM
New forum suggestion Mish Bugs and Suggestions 2 06-25-2002 03:33 PM