Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 02-10-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
Frax

Frax is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Hello. My name is Frax and I'm a mud addict.
I've been a small part of many of the muds out there; never advancing very high but loving them a lot.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a mud which allows a thief(or any other non-fighting profession) to advance by doing their specific skill instead of fighting(Stealing in the case of a thief). If you know of a mu* which does this well, please send me a message or post it here.

Thanks,
Frax
Frax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
trid

trid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

You may like evarayn then if you wish to be a non-combant. In evarayn you gain points in which you can use to learn skills by just being in the game. The game is fairly new but the players and creators are very helpfull and a great bunch off people. You can try it out at 64.246.52.10 port 23 or visit
trid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Maia

Maia is on a distinguished road
The single best thieving system I've come across to date is that of .   Burglary, shoplifting, pocketpicking, coshing-em-and-nicking-all-their-stuff, you can do it all, and make a career out of it without ever once taking a life.  It's been a while since I've played there, and I'm afraid I can't remember whether such nefarious activitiies themselves earn a character xp.  What I do recall is that Discworld boasts what it calls a TaskMaster system, whereby every use (or attempted use) of a skill has the chance to imiprove the character's facility with that skill.

The likes of , , or take this concept of skill oriented development even further.  These games have no generalized experience points.  Want your character to become a beefy warrior?  Get out there and bash things up.  Want them to become a stealthy thief?  Get cracking those safes!  Your character gets better at doing what they do by doing what they do.  I dearly wish there were more games out there going this route; I now find train-n-prac or learn-as-you-idle games clunky and unrealistic by comparison.  

One last suggestion as to how to avoid killing kobolds to improve your pickpocketing: you might like to try roleplay intensive games such as , or , which place emphasis on the development of your character as a fleshed out, living entity rather than just the improvement of a set of statistics.

Good luck with your search for the perfect Mud, and if you find any gems out there, let me know!

Maia
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
Frax

Frax is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out those muds and see if any of them are to my liking.
Thanks,
Frax
Frax is offline   Reply With Quote