Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Violette

Your first MUD?

Sorry for spamming the forums

I'm just curious what you first ever Muds were.

Mine was Achaea. At first I shook my head in disgust and logged off. A year later when I came back, I was mesmerized.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: Your first MUD?

The first one I played for any significant length of time was TOS TrekMUSE, a Star Trek RP-focused game.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
ShadowsDawn

Home MUD: New Worlds: Ateraan
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
ShadowsDawn is on a distinguished road

MajorMUD on a local BBS was my first one.. followed by Realms of Despair.. way back before Nephandi.. and then I moved to Hillsfar. After that.. well there's been lots since then.
ShadowsDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
tommi

tommi is on a distinguished road

While technically not a mud, I played Legend of the Red Dragon on a local BBS back in the day, followed closely by LORD2 which was very rogue like in how it played, it was heaps of fun and was also where i learned somewhat to code using pascal. Good old days for sure.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Milawe

Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

Threshold RPG was my first mud. Then I played Darkwind. Now I flip between three different ones.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
ShadowsDawn

Home MUD: New Worlds: Ateraan
ShadowsDawn is on a distinguished road

Heeee... good old LORD/2. I do so love me some BBSin
ShadowsDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about

My first MUD was an LP Mud called Valhalla. Not the current Valhalla, this one closed in 1996/1997.

Things were pretty tough on that game - a stable connection was essential and we're talking around when 56k was super fast. The most dreaded thing was a "modem retrain" while fighting. A death took about 2 weeks to recover. Everything was black and white and when it hit 40 people online you had to wait for someone to logoff. Still, the depth of the areas and the balance of the MUD was incredible.

Oh, and you had to do all this uphill both ways, in the snow
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
Threshold
Legend

Threshold will become famous soon enough

I started off with a couple of BBS style MUDs in 1991/1992. At this point I even got into coding them, and sold a number of modules/addons to the creators of two BBS door MUD-type games (if I recall their names, I think they were Legends and Illusions). By either 1993 or 1994, a BBSer told me about MUDs, and how they were so much better than BBS door game MUDs.

I do not recall the first true MUD I played, but I think it might have been Genesis. Things I recall were you either had to kill, or got a bonus for killing, whatever mob killed you. There was a constant battle between two sides (I think good and evil) who were sacrificing items at some temple. There was constantly some dude in the center of town running a bot who would teleport you back to town or buff you if you sent him the right message in a tell.

The first MUDs I played heavily were Darkwind and Realmsmud. I played them to death.

Then I got back into creating, and from that point forward I have mostly just created MUDs. Though I did return to both Darkwind and Realmsmud a few times, and have played a few other MUDs here and there.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

Threshold... 11-12 years ago maybe on an Apple Mac 240C. Had to choose that one as I was playing from work (on night shifts) and port 23 was the only one open on the firewall.

Used to hang around with this player called... um.... Wyden who was quite excited as he had just recently learned how to sharpen a sword :-D
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

I don't recall the name of the first one I ever played way back in January 1997. I only recall that there was no color, it was a level-based H&S and that it had "lurker" as part of the telnet address. I played it only once that first weekend for about a half hour and never again.

I would toy with the idea of playing a MUD again, and frequently looked over information on various games without actually creating a character and playing them, for the next year and a half before mentioning them to a friend of mine over lunch. He had never heard of MUDs so after lunch we went to the library and started searching for a MUD to play. We tried out a few before finding one that we liked. That first MUD I played consistently was the H&S MUD Necromium (March 1999 through December 2002).

In the fall of that year Necromium went down for a few weeks so we started looking at other games. My friend discovered Harshlands as he was familiar with table-top Harn. It was the first RPI I had ever seen or played. Played it for a very short time in November 1999 (my character died in less than an hour) and didn't try it again for a few weeks. Ended up playing nonstop from December 1999 through June 19, 2007.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Telelion

Telelion is on a distinguished road

Avendar, since 2006. The lore is spellbinding.
Telelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Wynn

Home MUD: Tir na nOg
Wynn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wynn Send a message via Yahoo to Wynn

Star Wars MUSH, in 91/92. It's been a long while so the specifics escape me, but it was there that I first started tinkering with MU* code, and then officially switched hats from player to programmer (after learning C) at the Thanksgiving '93 release of Merc 2.2.

Ah, fun times.
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Violette

Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Threshold
Legend

Threshold will become famous soon enough

Hahaha. I'm going to tell him that story right now. 12+ years later he still plays a couple hours a day.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 AM   #15
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

My first Mud in around 1996 was Age of Chivalry, which closed down years ago.

In retrospect, it must have been a rather crappy mud, mostly stock and very unstable, it used to crash about twice a day. But I loved it to death, had lots of fun and made lots of friends.
I was what is known a 'trouble-maker' there, but I also built for AoC, starting out with my own Clan HQ. I was totally inexperienced, but got some good tutoring, and almost immediately realised that building was my vocation.

After a pretty intense year, some of the staff members in AoC tired of the rather arrogant owner, and decided to start their own game, which became 4 Dimensions. I was recruited by my old tutor to build there, and when she dropped out for RL reasons some months later, I took over as Head Builder.

AoC and 4D are the only muds I have played for any length of time, and I never really played in 4D either, except to playtest new areas. It's a choice one has to make.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 AM   #16
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

One incident I remember also involving a young Wyden, is there is a certain place, in a cave near one of the big cities (trying to respect your help area rules) and in that place there is another smaller cave with a boulder blocking the entrance. We (that is Myself, Wyden and one other warrior) were luring people into the cave telling them about a secret in there and giving them all kinds of false leads, all the time pushing the boulder back into place as they searched in vain.

It was then just a case of mocking them outrageously on the guild channel as they pleaded to be let out.

I am sure that boulder has now been fixed so it can be moved from both sides, or open only :-)
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road

Whispers of Time Lost. It was on the Dawn of Time codebase and very active when I played it, though I think it has since died and been unsuccessfully resuscitated a couple of times.
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

Pretty sure it was Dawn of Time back in 97 or so. I used to be big on mIRC back then and DOT had a IRC client they used. I originally connected through IRC and was playing around for a few days. Then I discovered mud clients like zmud and I downloaded zmud and eventually bought it. The rest is history.

Next came Lothlorien, a pure pk mud. And then Armageddon, SOI, etc.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 AM   #19
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum

Though I tried several, including Genocide a pure PK mud, the first I actually played on for awhile was Epic back in 1992. Then from there I moved to Rivers of Mud (before Alanader released ROM) and then to River of Mud 2 for a bit. Those were some fun times!
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #20
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

Dawn of Demise back in 1998 or 1999, still running today, but never anyone on any longer, more or less a shell of what it once was.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote