Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 05-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
envision87

envision87 is on a distinguished road
Carrion Fields, currently third in the runnings of best muds. Is it well coded? Versitile classes? Good playerbase? Yes, yes, and a GIGANTIC no. The playerbase of this mud has dropped off dramatically in the past couple years. Wonder why you might be thinking? A few select "vets" are ruining this game for all. Making life quite hard for any n00bs who do decide to try it out. Some seem to purposefully seek out these poor souls and run them into the ground, repeatedly might I add. I do admit that this game DOES top all other muds in my mind but whats the point of playing if your being run into the ground? Sure, yes, crap happens but it seems a little overboard these days. Perhaps this mud can be saved yet but my gut tells me it's doubtful. This is the end of my rant feel free to flame all you want. I'm done trying.
envision87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
Meh. Once upon a time there was a new rp mud with an admin that was the biggest ogre in the universe. I played about 3 months and quit. I came back a few years later and the guy had turned pro and had 50+ players on at any give time. I thought to myself, "whoa, this guy must have really changed."

Mmmmm, nope.

The playerbase was just of the type of people that found him cool-to-tolerable is all.

You'd be surprised how far the old saw about one man's trash being another man's treasude really stretches. Hate to hear a game you like seems to be moving off in a direction you can't follow though.

I think as time goes on though you may learn to just grin and bear it more. Anyhow best of luck.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:37 AM   #3
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
Although I can't say I played Carrion Fields for long enough to judge, player bases are a problem with a ton of muds. Take a look at Realms of Despair for a great example of a well made mud with a bunch of really crappy players. This happens with any sufficiently popular game though, and I think you'll find that there are a lot of really cool people in these games too, if you stop focusing on it. It's like a headache - it hurts, but as soon as you can bring yourself to focus on something else you stop noticing it so much.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
Dovolente

Home MUD: Avendar: the Crucible of Legends
Dovolente is on a distinguished road
Dovolente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
I concur. Please post rants in the reviews section.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
Chayesh

Chayesh is on a distinguished road
Another key thing to remember is the positives.

Does CF have a strong, active, administration? YES

Does CF have a creative and unique world? YES

Does CF have strong races, classes, options? YES

Does CF have a strong, solid playerbase? YES

Does having one or two douchebags change this? NO

Does reporting the one or two douchebags change this if the administration is strong and active (echoing what Valg said)? YES

Every MUD will have its players who believe this is FFVII or Neverwinter Nights or Quake or some other quest RPG or shooter and not the dynamic RP environment that it is. A certain percentage of players will think there is a way to "win" at MUDding, most often by hackandslashing new notches in their belts. True, you can measure you personal successes a number of ways, but "winning" at MUDding is like trying to "win" at life itself. Last I checked, everyone loses to death in the end. MUDding is about projecting or portraying an alter ego...living another life essentially.

My advice is similar to what's already been stated. Post reviews, make the admin's aware, but don't start trash on a forum designed for new players to find a new home.

Shout outs to AR and CF from FL. Props to you guys for helping keep truly free MUDding alive and well.
Chayesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
That pretty ****ing rude, to just up and call someone a 'douchebag' as simple as that.

He probably could have done something more constructive, but as of posting neither you nor Valg (yet) had any idea what he'd gone through. If he was that one in a hundred that had a -real- problem, you've only just irritated it further, and Valg may have lost a good (if loudly spoken) player.

His statement was ambiguous, he didn't trash anything aside from some unnamed players (and pretty lightly at that, if you've seen some of the 'ex-player' flames), and he seems to like the mud as much as you do.

Valg put it just fine himself, without the little cronie popping up and calling someone a douchebag.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Umm... he said those that were griefing and making it hard for the topic poster were douchebags....
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
Step 1: Actually read the post in question. The whole thing, no skimming.

Step 2: Remove foot from mouth.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
BURNED!
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Chayesh

Thanks for the backup, Baram and Disciple.

Yes, Lark, I was calling the people alleged by the original poster, envision87, to be "ruining" Carrion Fields the douchebags, not envision87 himself.

I have no doubt he legitimately has experienced some "trashy" play, for lack of a better term.  Whether it's the same people or veterans, only the staff at CF can say.  My only point of contention with the original poster was that posting here does nothing to help resolve the situation nor is that the type of post this particular section of the TMS forums is for.  

Lastly, I am no one's "cronie".  I know of CF by reputation and word of mouth, not affiliation, as I am head of staff at another MUD of similar genre and origin.  I give CF and AR props because they've earned them.  Just wanted to clear that up.  Not every post of praise for an IMP of a MUD is a suck up post.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
One thing that comes to mind from this thread...

Every game out there will have someone complain about:

1) Some of its players
2) Some of its staff
3) The fact that the game isn't 100% the way they would have built a game.

As well, every game out there will have people praise:

1) Its players
2) Its staff
3) How they can't ever leave because they're addicted.
4) How it's just The Best Game Ever.

I don't find any of these comments, pros or con, useful. Everyone says them about every game to the point that they have absolutely no meaning.

For example, a review that just says "I love this game! I quit five times but I always come back because you just can't stay away!" hasn't told me anything useful. Of COURSE they came back to a game they're used to, everyone tends to do that until they get driven away for good one way or another.

Of COURSE someone complained about Carrion Fields's players. There's always someone who doesn't get along with someone in an RPG, and always someone who feels the other someone was messing up the game because they didn't do things right one way or another.

So what. It's barely worth noting.

---Brett
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I've said it in other threads, but it's not useful to post "I do not find this thread useful!" in random threads that you find useful. I find lots of threads not useful, but I somehow resist the urge to post about it in each one. Vote with your feet and move on, and if the thread isn't interesting to people it will fade away on its own.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
Heh! It's really interesting how differently some posts can be perceived from their intent.

I did not post to say "Ho hum, I'm bored", but to say "I hope nobody takes these attacks on games seriously." I know that I've never played Carrion Fields but this guy's gripe will in no way influence my opinion of it toward the negative.

It could have something to do with posting late at night when I should have been sleeping.

---Brett
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #16
Lark

Red face

Old 05-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #17
Lark

Old 05-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #18
Chayesh

Carrion Fields, good or bad? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100% XP day on Carrion Fields! Valg Advertising for Players 9 04-01-2006 10:55 AM
Carrion Fields Aarn Advertising for Players 0 02-09-2006 01:11 PM
The Carrion Fields Amaranthe Advertising for Players 1 01-08-2006 08:17 PM
The Carrion Fields Amaranthe Advertising for Players 1 02-20-2005 10:48 AM
Carrion Fields Valg Advertising for Players 2 11-06-2003 09:09 PM