Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 09-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
imported_Synozeer

imported_Synozeer is on a distinguished road
Thanks to Drakkos Wyrmstalker of Discworld MUD for his article, "Unlisting the Listable." Here's an exceprt:

You can read the article .
imported_Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Information wants to be free, as the saying goes.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
Thumbs up

It's the endless information struggle.  Information just can't make up its' own mind.  

Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #5
sunflare2k5

sunflare2k5 is on a distinguished road
And then some games go to extreme lengths to make sure that questinfo isn't shared. For example, The Eternal Fantasy is set up as a mandatory-quest game; unless you can solve puzzles and defeat certain foes, you're stuck in the newbie areas.

Their rules state that any sharing of information will result in both the character who "dared" to ask, and the character who answered, being immediately nuked. Which is why I gave up on that game. I'm not stupid, but I was stuck on a quest. And since I knew there was no hope of any help, there was no way I could continue.

While I agree with your point to stop cheaters, going to extremes can make the players feel persecuted by the staff. And that will drive them away from your game.
sunflare2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
drakkos

Home MUD: Epitaph
drakkos is on a distinguished road
Bing!

I don't think it's ever going to be possible to stop 'cheaters'... if the information is valuable in any way, then there is an incentive to try and capitalise on that value, whether it be for tangible or intangible rewards.

The trick, I think, is to make the information valueless - the only way I can really think of to do that is to make the process into the part that rewards.

As I mentioned in the article, the act of decrypting a monoalphabetic substitution cipher is pretty standard - but knowing how to do it is the easy part. Actually doing it is the hard part, and the process of deciphering should be the factor that rewards the player.

My stance would be that our job as developers isn't to get rid of the cheaters, because that's all but impossible... instead, we should try and remove the incentives for cheating. In quests, removing the value of 'secret information' is a fairly effective weapon.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
drakkos

Home MUD: Epitaph
drakkos is on a distinguished road
Re: Molly.

Thanks - I'm glad you found it interesting. :-)

As far as actually finding these web-sites goes, it's a little bit of both. A quick google search will turn up a number of sites, which the Discworld Admin try to get rid of by virtue of negotiation with the relevant ISP.

But we do have some players who appreciate the spirit of the rules, and quite rightly resent people being able to get an easy reward by abusing quest lists and quest list sites - sites of any kind of real popularity are often reported by Civic Minded players.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
Saren

Saren is on a distinguished road
Nice article.

I can imagine such a player only sharing the solution with their guild, for example. If the reward is significant enough, it could give a guild armed with such knowledge a pretty significant headstart.

Additionally, what's more important to a player - the ability to do a quest no-one else can, or to be the first to publish the solution and thus be credited as the first to solve it? I'd wager that to many players, the latter seems like the greater reward.
Saren is offline   Reply With Quote

[new article] Unlisting the Listable - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
great article I once saw, help?! nass MUD Administration 1 09-16-2003 12:47 PM
Interesting old article Pris MUD Administration 0 07-17-2003 05:43 AM
Excellent Article Mason Advanced MUD Concepts 4 07-11-2002 03:05 PM
New Article: Don't Forget the Cat Synozeer MUD Announcements 0 05-23-2002 09:15 AM
New Article: The End of the World and You Synozeer MUD Announcements 2 04-26-2002 03:58 AM