Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 04-22-2002, 04:11 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

From room and object descriptions to character descriptions, preferences can range from extremely simplistic to excessively verbose.

What's the happy medium? Or is there one? How much is just enough? How much is too much?

And how can having too little or too much - or just enough - affect RP?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #2
Siobhan

Siobhan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Siobhan Send a message via MSN to Siobhan Send a message via Yahoo to Siobhan
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:25 PM   #3
Miyamoto

Miyamoto is on a distinguished road
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:33 PM   #4
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 04:01 AM   #5
Grey

Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
Cool

Well, I always tells my builders the best thing to do is put yourself in the scene you're trying to create. In the case of a forest, I'd tell them to go to the nearest park or something and write down what they see. Some have taken my advice and their descriptions have come out quite nice making every room unique and add_items full of detail (LPC codebase). I feel long_desc's should be minimum 4 to 5 lines long and every noun should be accounted for in the add_items of the rooms. Also, adding silly actions like picking blade of grass for no reason add colour to an area and give it a character that players will either appreciate or take for granted, and in both cases, they stay.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:06 AM   #6
Pleos

Pleos is on a distinguished road
I don't think character descriptions have to be exceptionally long - if it's enough to give the other players a quality, mental image of the character, then that's what you need. I would say a few lines, 5 sentecens, thereabouts and you should be fine.

As for room descriptions, I think the same concept applies. If it can give people a decent mental image of the room/area then that's what you need. In some areas, a long road, a forest, the descriptions tend to get redundant and can be shorter - for particular special rooms, make 'em a bit longer.

Also for room descriptions, the use of extra descriptions off of keywords in the room description can make a huge difference. This way the room description can be kept a bit shorter, but you can add the detail in the extra descs. Sure, lots of people might not read those - but for those that do, they will truly enjoy them. Not only that, in areas I've built, I've often tried to put important information, clues, quest starters, etc. inside extra descriptions in rooms - so if people just rush through they might miss something of value, something that *could* spark some roleplaying...

Pleos
Pleos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
Yev

Descriptions are meant to be read, they give a player or place basic atmosphere.

One thing about room descriptions, however, is that it can make a tavern for example, feel like a much larger envirorment for rp instead of just a closet where you can almost feel what else is in there. It can make people try to get attention as well, since there may as well be someone back in a corner, or maybe someone that couldn't see your character entering.

Or maybe it's a street, or a flight deck, miles long, could a character see someone on the opposite side? Not in most cases, or that character has telescopic vision, yet this kind of stuff seems to be sacrificed, maybe your character should have to come up with something to attract attention. Not too much, but something of interest, at least.

This is an underused part of descriptions, I think most people keep it general so they look like they know what they are doing, and I'm not saying everyone has to be perfect, but they should be able to have a basic idea of what is going on. While MU*s are based on imagination, it is also based on constraints of the descriptions and those of the other players.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:47 PM   #8
Sapphar

When I read descriptions, I look for what is different. You can write a 15 line description that covers all details, or you can use a few simple adjectives such as:

of average height
or with tanned skin

and then add the important details such as:

a thin lipped mouth, drawn down naturally into a frown
or a snaking scar across the jaw

I would rather see a couple unusual features then every interesting thing about your character. After all, isn't that how we first recall people, by what features stick out?

As for rooms, the more you can interact with features the better. Though I would agree that a desert with nothing but sand does not need a long description, a mention of a piece of bone or wood, perhaps of the slope down or up, or the rippling waves caused by the wind, would all add to the room. In indoor rooms, long to me, is good. Because inside, you may not look around a lot at first (so you just scan the description) but if you spend some time in the room you might begin to notice details (at which point you are reading specific extra descriptions for objects, etc.) Like real life, give layers to descriptions, so as you begin to spend more time around a place, you get to know it better.

Ooh, that sparked a thought. Too bad we can't have extra descriptions on our characters. 4-5 lines for our description, and then 2 lines or so for a few chosen features. So if I had that snaking scar, I could add a description that if you "look sapphar scar" you would see a few lines describing the path of it, or the color the scar tissue has taken, or how it pulls her lip down at an odd angle. *ponder* bet thats something that will never be implemented. *pout*

Sapphar

The forest for the trees - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glomdoring: Dark Forest in Lusternia Estarra Advertising for Players 9 05-07-2005 09:39 PM
dark forest mud asura Advertising for Staff 0 01-12-2004 12:47 PM
dark forest mud asura Advertising for Players 0 01-12-2004 12:45 PM