Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Cirion56

Cirion56 is on a distinguished road
Post Returning RPer looking for in depth MUD

**Please READ this post, if your MUD does not fit, don't waste both of our time by posting one of those, "Well, it doesn't have this, but what it does have..." replies**

**Just as a heads up, not interested in Armageddon (See Permadeath), Echoes of Albion (See Magic), or Atonement (See Application and Freedom of Character), No Star Wars, No Dragonball, No White Wolf**

Hey guys,

I've been out of the RP scene for awhile and now I'm looking to get back in, but I'm finding the pickings slim for MUDs that I might enjoy. This is mostly due to the fact that some of my tastes have changed and most MUDs I see just do not make the cut for me personally.

I guess rather than write an essay of what I'm looking for, in an effort to appear human perhaps, I can just list them with a short description.

* I'm more into a modern fantasy setting, though one with a medieval timeframe will not be ignored.

* Magic system is a must, I like playing the magic user and possibly the healer in a roleplay setting. If your magic system is restricted or a only stock spells then you need not apply.

* Some sort of economy beyond buy/sell/rinse/repeat with NPC shopkeepers would be great.

* Form of government RP'd out.

* Permadeath is rare.

* No application process. Sorry, I'm all for character development but I don't want to wait three days then hear something is wrong with my character, reapply and then another 3 days later be told by a completely different staff member that there is something else the other staffer didn't mention that is wrong.

* Freedom of character. I understand your MUD has a theme and that is how you want it but if I cannot even have a chance to TRY to make an impact on your world then I'm not interested.

* Playerbase should be not so huge that you cannot make a difference, but also not so small that your actions mean nothing in the end.

* No donating. I don't care how much you say it doesn't give people an advantage, if your MUD does it, I'm not interested.

* A classless system is okay, can take it or leave it.

*Levelless...Yeah, most likely leave it, but I can take it too.

Thank you very much for looking at my list. I'm really anxious to start MUDding again if the MUD is right for me.
Cirion56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
Re: Returning RPer looking for in depth MUD

The only game that I can think of is DartMUD. I really enjoy that game. Please note that i'm a newbie and I'm talking about everything from my point of view.

DartMUD is set up in a medieval timeframe and uses a feudal system.
There's plenty of magic to be learned/discovered. There are few mage guilds and a healer's guild. The spells definitely are not stock. My character is a newbie mage and so far I've been able to heal, call animal familiars, send messages. There's so many spells in the game. Some must be found through exploring and questing. Others, (mostly the low-level spells) are available in the mage guild's study rooms or by getting experienced mage's to write them into a spellbook for you to study.

DartMUD has a great economy. You can explore, quest, hunt, gather or crafting for items to sell. Everything in the game is player made and everything can be customized down the smallest detail. There are over 300 food items to make (that number was found in an OLD post, back in 2007).

I'm not familiar with this. But there is a Lord/Vassel system. Lords can appoint Knights and stuff. Guilds are player run and there's so much more. Commonfolk and gather support and rally against the current Lords and take their thrones.

Dartmud has permadeath, but I don't think its very common as long as player takes precaution. I'm not too familiar with this either, but you should have an amulet that traps your soul if you die. If you have that you can find another body. Even if you don't you can "tell" to another player who can rally help and resurrect you. But you'll pay with skills or coin.

There isn't an app process. But you do need a valid email address. Its only for getting your password. But after that there's no application or three day wait. The email thing should only take a few moments.
DartMUD has an easy to understand theme. Lots of helpfiles and tons of ingame books to read.

In my opinion, the player base is medium sized. But, that may be affected by when you log in. I log in in the middle of the night sometimes and still find a few players to RP with.

There's no pay for perks. I think there is a shop, or something though. But it sells shirts and cups.

Its basically a classless, level-less system. Each race has a preference to certain skill and every body has different talents. I've been told that learning to fight slows your magic learning down, though. But, I'm not sure if any other skills clash.

That's all I can think of. Hope you try it out. Everyone is helpful and can help you get started. If no one is in the center of tough, head south and through the gate (I think) to find the healer's hall. That's another place where people like to hangout. You can learn magic, find someone to show you around and a lot more.

Good luck on your search!
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Cirion,

You sould like a serious and well thought out roleplayer who knows what you want. Unfortunately, you are asking for an exact system with little leeway on your requirements. I can give you 3 excellent games that meet nearly all of your requirements and five more so-so games that meet most of your requirements. However, any game out there that meets every one of your requirements is either going to be made by you or not really meet the requirements only say they do and are likely going to disappoint you very quickly.

Good luck, my friend, it is always good to meet new serious roleplayers.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

Check out Isles of Aedin. While no game will fill all your requirements, I think Aedin fills most of them.

They have an emphasis on RP and the world is very player driven. Player ran temples, government, shops etc. You can make an impact on the game world almost immediately. During peak playing time they average about 20 people, lately it has been up into the 30+ range.

The game is fairly new and that makes it easy to be competitive in a short amount of time. If you like casters. There are several types of casters which includes: 4 types of mages, clerics, templars, and shamans.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Anjanas

Anjanas is on a distinguished road

Hey stupid, read the OP's original post. The first thing in his post is the following:

**Please READ this post, if your MUD does not fit, don't waste both of our time by posting one of those, "Well, it doesn't have this, but what it does have..." replies**

By the way, I checked out Isles and it has numerous problems. First, it has an annoying registrar. Second it has no real direction or focus as if the creator is just trying to throw as much in as possible as fast as possible without thought. Third, and most important, it is very haphazardly constructed (help files, functionality, command structure) and while one person related it to Dragon's Gate (since they plagurized it), it is 10 years from being close to that good of a roleplaying game. Don't bother with this one, but if you do, don't say you weren't warned.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

Does this mean you won't be playing Aedin? With your personality and way of communicating I can't imagine anyone not wanting you to play their game. Perhaps a more mature reply to my post would have been more appropriate and constructive. Apparently you are disgruntled over something. Ohh well..Try Aedin or not. I dont really care, it was just a suggestion.

Edit:
I went back and read your other posts and as it turns out, you post this type of abrasive stuff all the time. You are just a troll and now that I know, I will no longer feel obligated to respond to you.

Last edited by IZDemon : 04-25-2011 at 02:03 PM.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Anjanas

I have an idea. Perhaps you reply to my comments on topic. The fact is you didn't read the OP's request and were criticized for it. Just accept that and apologize. For someone who's signature is a "Demon" you sure have a thin skin. Incidentally, making critical remarks that are on topic is not trolling.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

It's really funny. This set of criteria sounds like a really average list that nearly everyone would be interseted in. Yet so few muds fit all of these. I think a lot of muds are so interested in trying to be unique that they overlook the fact that most people really want a mud that just does the basics, but does them right, rather than a niche mud. Add a good roleplaying scene to this list of criteria, and I'd be playing that mud right now.

Honestly, if someone took Aardwolf and made it a roleplay-enforced mud, and added a few roleplay enhancing features, that would probably be my ideal mud. That is one smoothly coded and robust mud, despite its stock feel. But I can't think of any mud I'd name where I wouldn't have to begin with a disclaimer about this one feature or those two features that don't fit the list. The hardest two items to meet are the economy and the freedom of character. I have yet to see a mud that does economy well, and very few muds will let a regular player just up and change the world in a manner that makes more work for the owner just because a player had an idea. But there are muds where a capable player can become well known, important, and influential pretty quickly. That's almost as good.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Cirion56

So just as someone who right now is an outside observer, this whole flame war on a persons post looking for a MUD probably is not the best way to get someone to join any type of game, or for that matter, the MUDding community at all. Some people are just more abrasive than others and it's usually best to understand that and then move forward.

I do appreciate the post about the MUD, and also the subsequent negative review of the place though, so thank you both for that.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road

The list is too restrictive.

There are a few MUDs who come close but definitely not a single one who has all the required features you listed.

Geas ( ) for instance fullfils parts of these criterias:

- Magic System exists (albeit still restrictive, constrained to scroll magic and a bit more, there are not "full" or "real" mages right now as this has to be researched by players actively and pursued slowly)

- Healers (well... via potions ... and clerics of course ... druids can heal too too although they are fading due to both IC reasons and a changed game world)

- Economy exists somewhat though it's a bit weak (crafts mostly)

- Government loosely exists, mostly via judge/themes but not really a tangible solid clan system or other way of completely player-driven government

- Permadeath does not really exist. Although frustrated players do tend to retire their characters sometimes.

- No application process indeed. You create a char and that's it. You can skip the tutorial too so you are in full control of that.

- Freedom of character is possible. It is partially constrained in that you can rarely do something which does not make any sense in-game. But common sense applies here too ... as long as you can come up with a solid in-game reasoning, you can basically roleplay how you want to.

- Playerbase fluctuates heavily. There are times when there are only 5 players in total logged in, then there are times with +20 players. It comes and goes. Often the biggest problem is a too frictionous way to roleplay, which can lead to some players be disgruntled or frustrated. But otherwise, you almost always have sufficient players to interact with in my opinion.

- There is no donate button and no pleas for donations either.

- Well, "classes" don't really exist per se. Knowledge derives through skills. These more or less define what a character can make or do (except for clerics, and of course facilities or tools available)

- It is levelless. Through skill xp though, chars have difference in "XP" levels. But XP is not an in-game concept ... just the concept that, the more a character has trained something, the better he is at it.

Last edited by shevegen : 04-27-2011 at 11:11 AM.
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Kitriana

Home MUD: genesismud.org 3011
Kitriana is on a distinguished road

Check out Genesis: mud.genesismud.org 3011

I've been playing this game since 1995.. and there is always more to learn, explore and experience.

* I'm more into a modern fantasy setting, though one with a medieval timeframe will not be ignored.
- Medieval/Fantasy timeframe with domains that are inspired by novels or from coder's imaginations

* Magic system is a must, I like playing the magic user and possibly the healer in a roleplay setting. If your magic system is restricted or a only stock spells then you need not apply.
- Magic System exists in multiple ways. There are several Magic based guilds... as well as potion options, herbs, and different scrolls or items in game that use magic or rely on it.

* Some sort of economy beyond buy/sell/rinse/repeat with NPC shopkeepers would be great.
- Forging, Auction house, money from herbing, gems, imbued items

* Form of government RP'd out.
- Guilds have varying forms of rulerships/governance with many opportunities for RP and politicking

* Permadeath is rare.
- No Permadeath

* No application process. Sorry, I'm all for character development but I don't want to wait three days then hear something is wrong with my character, reapply and then another 3 days later be told by a completely different staff member that there is something else the other staffer didn't mention that is wrong.
- No Application process to enter the mudd. But there are application processes to join some of the guilds based on theme, roleplay, alignment, race.... etc..

* Freedom of character. I understand your MUD has a theme and that is how you want it but if I cannot even have a chance to TRY to make an impact on your world then I'm not interested.
- Yes -- there is freedom to develop your character or characters if you choose to make a second (No double logins allowed).

* Playerbase should be not so huge that you cannot make a difference, but also not so small that your actions mean nothing in the end.
- Used to have 100 plus people in game at a time.. currently down to about 40-50 at peak times. But enough areas,guilds, etc to substantiate a playerbase of larger size.

* No donating. I don't care how much you say it doesn't give people an advantage, if your MUD does it, I'm not interested.
-No donate button. No required donations. Once in a blue moon (twice in the 15 years i've been around).. they've asked players to donate something if they wanted to in order to do an upgrade on equipment. But its not required.

* A classless system is okay, can take it or leave it.
- No Classes

*Levelless...Yeah, most likely leave it, but I can take it too.
You can level up but there are no numbers.
Kitriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Cirion56

Still looking for the perfect place guys. Found a MUD that is pretty fum but not sure I want to stay, few things I dislike about it. Keep your MUDs coming.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Wow.

Charming.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Anjanas

Thank you. I do understand your sarcasm here and I did call the person stupid, but you know he was just trolling his lame game and didn't even read the OP's original post.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

At worst, he made a mistake. Nothing in his post sounded like "trolling."

And either way, your reaction was excessive and uncalled for. Try giving someone the benefit of the doubt and if you must correct them, do so politely the first time. If they persist, then stronger language may be in order.

There is nothing gained from coming right out of the gate spewing insults and rudeness. That's a lesson I learned the hard way over the last 20 years, and I'm passing it on to you for free.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Backspace

Backspace is on a distinguished road

I would recommend as well if you have not tried that yet.
Backspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
ezgoezit

ezgoezit is on a distinguished road

I don't think Dartmud is what the OP is looking for. I am pretty sure he wouldn't like it and it wouldn't like him.
ezgoezit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #18
Turxx

Turxx is on a distinguished road

check out torilmud.org 9999

the rp government is in the form of guilds and ofc theres staff
but otherwise toril rocks
i posted an overview on this forum
Turxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Lanian

Lanian is on a distinguished road

Ever tried Avendar?

Avendar.com

Last edited by Lanian : 06-28-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Lanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
Anjanas

The difference between me and you is that I don't have to kiss anyone's buttox to play my game because I don't have one. If you must patty cake around for the sake of players do so, but I won't. I don't like trolls, I don't like mincing words, and I don't like cheaters and when I see them I'm going to call them out.