Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 05-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #41
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
While I may not like Mercthievia, I have to agree with Soleil's point about playing the game before badmouthing it. For instance, I played Achaea, and it was a fairly good game. I just don't agree with the style in which it is run (semi-for profit), so that is why I dislike it. I have never played Mercthievia, so I don't make any judgments about the quality of play. I only dislike it because of the code theft.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #42
Kopribear

Kopribear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kopribear Send a message via MSN to Kopribear Send a message via Yahoo to Kopribear
Belated defense against an accusation... I never said I supported or didn't support Medievia. I've never played it, and as has been stated several...several times before, I don't know the whole issue (and don't care to). But they're right, you know, you're giving them free publicity. My isn't our wrath backfiring?

At any rate ...I give up. Seriously.

*yells over the noise* hey Jeena, wanna talk somewhere else? This thread has been destroyed. I'm up for going to find some civility...

<3
Kopri
Kopribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #43
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
It's utterly irrelevent whether I post or not, as they use the IRE tactic of getting supporters to keep replying to their adverts to bump them to the top (yet another reason why the few high-signal threads get ignored).

I saw the Medthievia code a few years ago, and it was little more than a hacked up Merc with features that are mostly available in snippet form. If they've added anything innovative since that time, they'd done a good job of hiding it.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #44
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
No, not hiding, working, programming, developing. We have re-emerged recently because Medievia V is about to be released. The code you saw 4-5 years ago is NOT the code that exists today.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:12 PM   #45
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
Huge chunks of the code were taken directly from stock Merc and it was called 100% original by Mercthievia. Now they say that their mud is 100% original, or just as original as they said it was back when it was heavily stock Merc. Except now they just stop people from looking at it to see if it is stock Merc or not.

As for turning every thread into one about Mercthievia, it was one of those moralless Mercthievia supporters who brought Mercthievia into this thread.

As for the publicity, the kind of people that go "Hey, Mercthievia's been mentioned a lot cause it stole code and ruined the mud communtiy. Yay! I wanna go play a game like that!" may be attracted to Mercthievia by all those posts, but who cares? Those are the type of players I certainly wouldn't want to play with in my muds.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #46
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
So, your response to direct civil commentary is insult and inflammatory remarks.
I'm sorry, but while you may tell everyone I'm a "mindless" follower/supporter I must here tell you that I am not. I was not asked to come here, and I didn't tell anyone that I was coming here. I did, however, find muchof the jabs and snippy nastiness to be entertaining and decided to follow along.
Obviously some of you are on a higher moral plane than the rest of us. Thankfully, you're out there to remind us of that on a regular basis.
In the mean time, before you slam, bash, and fry something you've never tried...try it. Med V has features you can't find anywhere else. There are unique zones that are always being developed for all levels and skills of players.
Now, since this conversation has digressed into personal attack...I think I'll find kopri and have a conversation with someone pleasant.
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #47
Angie

Angie is on a distinguished road
You mean shameless stealing? I'd rather not.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #48
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
I wish everyone would just shut up about this.

Despite 10 years of 'successful' protesting, Medievia is a solid third on the rankings. I wouldn't have given two hoots about them frankly, but with all this annoying bull**** that is being toted around I logged on to check them out.

KaVir, you're not driving players away from Medievia. If anything, I'd say you're driving them to it merely out of curiousity. The vast majority of players couldn't give a **** about code theft if the game was good, and for all your ranting on here of recent times you've only served one purpose: The promotion of your enemies.

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #49
PhoenixFlare

PhoenixFlare is on a distinguished road
They started out in third when they re-appeared, too, and then slowly slid down to bounce between 6th-8th over the next couple days.

I hate to be pedantic, but trying to prove anything by stating they're in a "solid" 3rd when the voting just reset yesterday is silly - there's only 31 votes between 3rd and 8th at the moment, for example.

Maybe they'd be doing worse if this whole thing hadn't come up again. Maybe they'd be doing better. Nobody really has any way to know for sure at this point.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #50
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
We are not "semi for profit." We are a for-profit enterprise. Either you are or you aren't. You can't be a little bit for-profit anymore than you can be a little bit non-profit. You are are or you aren't.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:56 PM   #51
Ilkidarios

I said semi-for profit because you don't charge a subscription fee, you charge for "pretend money".  Thus it is the user's choice whether you make any money or not. But either way, I think you would still be there.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #52
Kopribear

Send a message via AIM to Kopribear Send a message via MSN to Kopribear Send a message via Yahoo to Kopribear
So in retrospect...

"Medievia is bad. I don't like what they did."

"I don't care if you don't like them. They bring members to TMS, thus benefitting the rest of the MUDs that advertise."

"But stealing code is bad and I don't like it. I don't care if they bring traffic to TMS."

"I care that they bring traffic to TMS. It's good."

"But they are a morally wrong game."

"Shut up, I don't care."

"<random comment that's not quite on topic>"

"Medievia is morally wrong."

"You just said that."

"Omigosh, shut up, I can say what I want where I want."

"But they're back and you can't fix it."

"My complaining fixes everything. I've made over 800 posts."

"Medievia is bad."

...do I have that about right? Since it's all been said over and over... and over... and over... and over... and over again, can it be done?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #53
Ilkidarios

You forgot a couple.

the_logos: You're an idiot because your opinion differs from mine and I am an all knowing diety.
Kopribear: He's right.  Everything he says should be regarded as pure truth without flaws.
Soleil: Reltih leih.  Natas pihsrow.
Hardstadt: Blah blah blah.
Ilkidarios: [something profoundly intelligent beyond your reasoning]
the_logos: You're a stupid.  I like pie.
PhoenixFlare: Your MOM likes pie.  I have good points. (it's true)
Old 05-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #54
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #55
the_logos
Legend

I think you misunderstand what the term for-profit means. It means that the enterprise is started with the goal of turning a profit (In the US, it's also the default for an organization generating revenue unless it qualifies for non-profit status).

In other words, for-profit is a reflection of one broad goal of an organization, not a comment on how it goes about achieving that goal.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #56
Ilkidarios

Yeah, you're right.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #57
Angie

Angie is on a distinguished road
This message was left blank.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:18 PM   #58
Kopribear

Rofl, nice Ilk. My word, you can even spell backwards. I can't top that...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #59
the_logos
Legend

You may not like me, but try to be accurate. I have no problem with people holding different opinions than I do, and I don't flame them for it provided they're intelligently presented and are backed up with some semblance of a rationale.

What I object to is the manner by which some TMS members conduct themselves. Being opposed to Medievia is fine. Using juvenile name manipulation insults like Mercthievia (equivalent to, say, calling Kavir by a name like Gayvir...very 5th grade), flaming people who haven't done anything to you, and so on are what I object to.

For instance, I don't care if you don't like Medievia, and I certainly didn't flame the people who first started flaming Medievia in the Flames thread, because they (even Molly) did it calmly. On the other hand, I post a welcome message to Medievia, and immediately not only get flamed, but get accused of starting a flame war (which is odd, because it's the people that flamed me that turned a genuine welcome into a flamewar).

It's some of the people rabidly against Medievia that are attacking anyone who dares suggest that just maybe their opinions are just that: opinions. On the other hand, you have reasonable folk like Traithe and Brody who, though clearly not fans of Medievia, treat it quite reasonably. They express their dislike, and leave it at that, rather than getting red in the face, screaming over and over and over, and generally throwing a tantrum anytime anyone disagrees with their point of view.

--matt
Old 05-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #60
Ilkidarios

What can I say, it's a gift.