Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Enola_Phoenix

Enola_Phoenix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via MSN to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Enola_Phoenix
Ok this was posted on that extremely long board the top 20 one. But this is serious question.

How about the pay to play muds, actually stop allowing votes for one voting period (15 days). Only free muds are allowed to be voted on, a true free mud free for all, in fact if the free ones on the top 10 list wanted to be exempt great. Let the small homegrown true Free non company ran muds just have a free for all. This way its gives them a chance to be seen for a while. I also think it will boost MAJOR traffic to this site. and For those on the top 10 I would personally write a discussion forum about them and putting up their info, and keep that on the top so that they aren't completely lost during 15 days of high traffic.

If anyone likes this idea, or has suggestions, critism or heck anything Id love to hear it......

Enola

p.s. I have nothing to gain from this, I'm not even open yet :-P but as noted I will one vote myself to the top MWAHHAHAHA beware evil doers.
Enola_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
That would be great, but only if the pay-to-plays (which I suppose could include the "pay-to-play-optionals" and any other for-profit methodology) get their turn for the next 15 days.

The pay-to-plays have the money to pay for advertising, which they do. If you tell them that their listing on the top mud list is not welcome, you are alienating not only their company, but the vast majority of text gamers - since it's those pay-to-plays (and pay-optional and other profitable entities) that have the highest playerbases.

Iron Realms, Simutronics, et al - can boast over ten THOUSAND paying accounts combined. Take a look down the list of the top mud list - go all the way down to the last page. Count the "average players online" for each "totally and utterly free no matter what" game. Triple that number to account for players who aren't around during "average" times of day.

You won't see 10,000.

You wanna **** off 10,000 people who pay to play their games and are proud to see their games on the top mud list, I'll just stand back and stay in my corner while the bloodbath ensues.

Or

You can give them their turn and play fair.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #3
Enola_Phoenix

Send a message via AIM to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via MSN to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Enola_Phoenix
Old 08-20-2004, 12:44 AM   #4
Atyreus

Home MUD: The Dreaming City
Atyreus is on a distinguished road
How about for one voting period all muds with names that begin with vowels not be allowed to accept votes? It'd have a pretty similar effect. Or all muds with only one word in their titles? I'm sure there are plenty of ways we could think of to reduce traffic to TopMudSites.
Atyreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:47 AM   #5
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
I really don't think it would make much of a difference.

I count, what, 5, maybe 6 commercial MUDs in the top 20?

So that means 5-6 MUDs on the next page would move up a half a dozen rankings for 15 days. Likely not worth all the trouble and reduced traffic that would result from implementing such a suggestion.
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:50 AM   #6
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
I don't see any reason why a pay to play, or pay for perks mud(which are free to play) would be moved to do this. The two top to three rankings muds get thousands of hits a month from the advertising, which I know from posts made by The Logos has contributed a great deal to their playerbase, and profitability. Given muds started as a commercial venture, I would say that they don't have any sort of obligation to the free to play world.

In short, they give a lot to TMS and they get a lot back too. TMS is a forum for all muds, and not just free to pay ones. If you're so passionate about the issue, why not start a free mud specific traffic linking site?

Leigh
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Enola_Phoenix

I think this was taken completely out of context to be turned into an argument. No, this is not an attempt to shun or diter pay to play for the top 10. It's only a period of a time for those who don't have 1000 players because they have a paid staff to develop their site and mud. This is them stepping aside for a period to allow the smaller muds to compete, do I think it would deter hits to the site on the contrary, during those 15 days those small muds and all of their members will vote and visit like crazy, because they have a chance of being number 1 and seen. I'm not saying completely leave out those which are there now, something should be done so they still recieve hits and what not, consider a kind of special olympics for the handicapped muds (those without highly trained paid staffs).

Now when I said I'd love to hear anything, I mean't anything constructive, maybe a similar suggestion or tweaking of the idea, also why don't I build a free-only mud list
1) Full time legal assistant, Full time student, weekend Bartender.
2) Why reinvent the wheel, we already have a popular site here.
3) Cause I just don't have the time with working on my own mud.

Like I said I personally have nothing to gain from this, this is just so that smaller muds shine for a day, and get noticed. There are hunders of muds listed, only 20 are seen everyday.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
As an admin on a free (*) MUD, I still don't see a reason to do this. If someone wants to check out smaller games, they can click over to the #21-100 MUD right inthe sidebar, or browse any of the other listing options.

It's only a period of a time for those who don't have 1000 players because they have a paid staff to develop their site and mud.

We're not that big, we don't pay anyone, and we're #3. We like the kind of visiblity this gives us, and I don't see why the votes our players are giving should be subverted.

(*) Defined: No fees, no subscriptions, and money has zero impact on the game.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #9
Enola_Phoenix

Old 08-20-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
aardfrith

aardfrith is on a distinguished road
As a player on a homegrown, free mud (can you guess which one?) that regularly features in the top 20, I heartily agree with this idea. In fact, I would also agree with the response on the other board - make it one vote per person per voting session. Maybe link votes to registered members of TMS?
aardfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:07 PM   #11
aardfrith

aardfrith is on a distinguished road
Oh yes, I almost forgot. In return for their players not voting for one round, the muds concerned would pay nothing for their banner advertising on TMS for the entire voting session.
aardfrith is offline   Reply With Quote

Free mu*d FREE FOR ALL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-MUD Free client garouppa MUD Announcements 1 07-13-2006 10:20 AM
Free mud hosting available vrakk Advertising for Staff 0 02-09-2005 09:55 PM
Win a free T-Shirt! * Amnon Advertising for Players 0 11-20-2004 09:20 AM
Anyone know of any free... Almondine War MUD Administration 5 02-22-2003 08:28 PM
Set your demons free.... TheDemonMaster Advertising for Players 1 08-09-2002 11:46 AM