Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb High maintenance?

This is a link to a commercial blog and specific to customers, but I don't think anyone who has been a MUD admin for more than 5 minutes needs an explanation on why this is revelant here:

So, what's your breaking point?
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Re: High maintenance?

Good grab (and anything Seth writes is a good grab).

We've banned three players over the years the game has been in existence ... two for unconscionable harassment of another player and staff, and one for a DDoS on our server. Those three lost my respect and will not be allowed to return to Karinth on my watch. Our prime rule - respect the game, respect the players, respect the staff - stands above all other rules. If a person - player OR staff - can't follow that one, any other rules are pointless. So, I suppose that's my breaking point.

We deal with humans, not 'players' or 'customers.' Sure, it can be a test of strength to keep that in mind. But, personally, I prefer to hear of difficulties and be given a chance to resolve them calmly and rationally, rather than arbitrarily state that the 'top ten troublemakers are outa here.'
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

Either we have a lot more players or a lot lower tolerance level.

We've banned people permanently for everything from DDOS attacks to throwing homophobic insults to credit card fraud to persistent, aggressive jerkdom to trying to spread Christianity in-game.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum

Ok, all the others I would expect ... but the last one has me stumped. Maybe I'm niave, but how was someone trying to spread a religion in game in such a way that it got them banned??
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

Someone (actually, we've had this problem more than once) objected to the Gods in Achaea, opining that Jesus Christ was the only real God, etc etc. Wouldn't shut up about it so off he went. Achaea's not a place to spread your real-life religion, only your in-game one. Besides, Jesus isn't going to throw lightning bolts at you like the Gods of Achaea might.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Markov_AU

Name: Ben
Home MUD: Adventures Unlimited
Markov_AU is on a distinguished road

You've all seen one of our "troubles" players we've banned, on way too many of occasions
Markov_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
fjin

fjin is on a distinguished road

If messages are going through mud server, then it would be easy to replace certain words to others, or based of few keyword in messages it sends another message instead.

* "I have serious troubles to different what's fiction and what's reality - I have been told that this game is all about fiction and enterntainment but I feel this is very real."
* "I want to get banned from this game"
* just word replacing can get interesting ones "Jesus" -> "Satan", or just one of the game's god names.

Misbehaving in Game would also set Wanted or similar status in game world - perhaps even reward of killing that particular character.

Trying to proglaim real world religion in game world would transfer that player character to "enemy" of that particular area ( as well known example: to Orc in Rivendell , or to Noldor in Mordor ). If those religion freaks are persistent, they would make up very good mob.
fjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough

If this makes it to the front of the coding list (instead of simply talking to the player and removing them if they don't respond to conversation), your game needs more people developing new content.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote