Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Omera

Omera is on a distinguished road
Let's try this again... Are there any highly active RP encouraged (with lots of RP)?

I'm looking for a MUD (again). This time with RP encouraged, a highly active community and lots of RP. Also, I get discouraged from playing MUDs when I don't have a map to guide me when I'm stuck in an area made of rooms with the same name.
Omera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Iacobos

Iacobos is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's try this again... Are there any highly active RP encouraged (with lots of R

We're an RP-enforced MUD with active players and a militant hate for overly recycled descs.

Also, we've got a pretty thorough selection of maps. (avendar DOT com / maps.php)
Iacobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #3
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Let's try this again... Are there any highly active RP encouraged (with lots of R

Maybe helpful if you narrow search down to some features you want, because if you're looking for imm-run quests, treasure hunts, etc, as part of your "active community, lots of RP" requirements, then you'd find there are only a few muds that match you and it should be extremely easy to relocate. For example I think AR is one of the few RP enforced games which bothers to have a journalist group to record the world history and sell it in-game regularly (along with their extremely boring poetry). But treasure hunting, we dont do on that regular a basis, as it interferes with the pk'ing. That dont mean the game's players arent "active", just that they wouldnt share that sense of fun, since going find some easter egg means getting the dog kicked out of them by a rogue. IMO there are lots of muds that fit the broad criteria you set, but they have very different experiences.

Try
4-dimensions
Armageddon
Avendar
Aardwolf
Achaea
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
nikolausv

Home MUD: http://tharel.net/
nikolausv is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nikolausv

You might also try Adventures Unlimited (AU)
Of your 4 criteria :-
RP encouraged - Yes [Enforced for some things]
a highly active community - If you want hundreds (or even 50) then no
lots of RP - Umm, usually something going on, don't be afraid to wade in.
Maps - In room description minimap, some in game Ascii maps & some specific area maps on the website.

Also If you let people know which MUDS you have ruled out and why, that might help us guide you to other choices. Or at least not mention the same ones!
nikolausv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
gth

gth is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Let's try this again... Are there any highly active RP encouraged (with lots of R

Shattered Kingdoms runs semi-regular bonanza weekends where immortal-sponsored events are run, although immortals sometimes dabble with their followers every now and then on any given day.

Most people seem to be impressed with the lack of an OOC "channel" (global or otherwise) of any kind at SK, so you can get as immersed in the environment as you wish: and for that mapping crutch, the entire wilderness is online in a roving map on their website, along with maps of the main cities and starting zones.

They're regularly in the top 20 here at if you need further connection info or website links.
gth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Kastellyn

Kastellyn is on a distinguished road

Carrion Fields has enforced RP, level-based PK and over 18,000 rooms - pretty much all with different titles :P. We've also got a ton of ASCII maps, and even a few graphical representations of our world on the website.

Check out our forums at our website to see how active our playerbase is; in game, we've got an average of 45 on at any given time with peaks in the 70s. Same as SK, our listing is usually in the top 20 at TMS. Come check us out!
Kastellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Re: highly active RP encouraged (with lots of R

I just checked online, and I'm getting a hair under 24,000, though I think to be fair you'd need to knock off about 1,000 or 1,500 that are in various stages of development, and aren't directly player-accessible at the moment. It's worth noting that all of those rooms were written specifically for Carrion Fields by people who play the game-- no 'patchwork' maps or smurf villages in sight, and we don't hire builders (*) 'off the street'. It's our way of making sure areas make sense, and are at the right level of challenge.

(And yes, Team Area Review would come after you with a stick if you pasted the same description into many rooms!)

(*): Actually, we don't have 'builders'. All of our staff are cross-trained-- each member has done building, but also gets involved in running quests and other interaction, etc., so they really know the game. We have roughly two dozen active staff available to make sure all the bases get covered.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Before you all recommend your game to the OP, you might consider the OP's previous thread, in which he/she stated he/she is a minor child. I'd say that's a pretty important criteria for playing that he/she left out: that the game be open for anyone without any age restrictions.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the heads up, Jazuela.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote