Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Raesanos

Raesanos is on a distinguished road
iPhone MUD Client

You may have heard the news about the iPhone SDK today. I'm thinking about making my learning-the-tools project a MUD client.

How much interest is there in a MUD client for the iPhone? Would you use it? This would be a free program that you download through the iPhone App Store that launches in June, which does not involve unlocking your iPhone.

To me the biggest use of this would be for MUD administrators, since for playing it'd be hard to type fast enough to really do much. Since there will inevitably be a generic telnet client, I'd be interested in adding some features that full MUD clients offer in order to differentiate this application.
Raesanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: iPhone MUD Client

I personally think it would be great. My staff and I would enjoy it, no doubt.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Brigala

Brigala is on a distinguished road

I would love a client for my iPhone. I have thought about porting TinyFugue. It should be a fairly straightforward port, it's already open source, it is already well-suited to a small screen, and it's designed for unix. My problem is that I haven't done anything like that in so long, I've forgotten how; and I am too busy right now to re-learn.
Brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

Might want to poll and see how many mudders (at least on TMS) use iPhones.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
ShadowsDawn

Home MUD: New Worlds: Ateraan
ShadowsDawn is on a distinguished road

Though there are no phones released yet that make use of it.. but you might also want to consider the Android platform. The SDK for it can be found here:

edit: Phones using Android will be out, just still a little ways away. However, they have released the SDK for it quite early.

Last edited by ShadowsDawn : 04-28-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: clarify Android & phones
ShadowsDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Threshold
Legend

Threshold will become famous soon enough

I think it would be a huge boon for MUDs if someone created a good iPhone client.

It might even be better though if someone were able to make a clean, fast client for the Windows Mobile platform. The Windows Mobile phones seem to more commonly have a "full" keyboard.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Yes, but then let's look at something for the Blackberry.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Threshold
Legend

As far as I know, the blackberry is fading fast. They got a big head and started charging businesses GIGANTIC user fees for email server licenses and such, and as a result a lot of business users have dropped it. That has given Windows Mobile and iPhone a huge benefit in trying to break into those markets.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Markov_AU

Name: Ben
Home MUD: Adventures Unlimited
Markov_AU is on a distinguished road

I take it you don't work in It, Blackberry is pretty much the only supported enterprise smart phone platform out there form what I've seem there is the smattering of windows mobile devices and the ocational iPhone, but Blackberry is the one that is supported by companies, and it the most widely used
Markov_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
Zenn

Name: Zenn
Home MUD: SW: Dark Nebulas
Zenn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zenn Send a message via Yahoo to Zenn

I wish my PSP had touch-screen, or even an attachable minikeyboard, would make using the PSP MUD Client alot easier.

Can't wait for 4.0 to come out so I can get custom firmware so I can try the client
Zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Threshold
Legend

Well, you gotta get with the times. What you are saying was true a year ago, and may still be true in SMALL companies, but in the big companies, that is changing... and changing fast. And most likely, if the big companies change, that will trickle down to the small companies as well.

Last year we were vacationing in Disney World with our best friend who happens to work for one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms. He was annoyed because the company was in the process of switching away from Blackberry to Microsoft. He informed me that this was a widespread and growing trend. And he'd know, since he visits a huge portion of Fortune 500 companies to do audits (he specializes in computer security audits).

I asked him about it recently, and he told me that the trend has definitely continued. He barely sees any blackberries now in the Fortune 500 companies.

Blackberry got the big head, jacked up prices through the roof, and they may destroy their company as a result.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

In Q4 2007 (the most recent quarter for which data is available), the different smartphone platforms broke down like this by OS (according to the Canalys Worldwide smart mobile device market, Q4 2007 report).

1. Symbian OS - 65%
2. Windows mobile - 12%
3. Blackberry - 11%
4. iPhone - 7%
5. Linux - 5%

Now, that's worldwide, of course. Symbian doesn't have much penetration into North America, and Linux's boost comes largely in China.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #13
Threshold
Legend

Thanks for the info. The fact that Windows has now passed Blackberry doesn't surprise me, given the information I already posted.

Wow @ Symbian though. I guess the fact that they aren't heavily involved in North America explains why I don't know much about them, but that it still a staggeringly huge market share.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
Newworlds
Legend

Okay, I found a client for myself and logged on to NW on my Blackberry today. Very interesting way of mudding, not to mention handling Administration. Just to have fun, I ran an invasion to see how hard it would be to handle from an iphone. Not too bad, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are like me and want to log on in a movie theater or at a bbq without lugging a laptop.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
hogarius

hogarius is on a distinguished road
Question Re: iPhone MUD Client

Newworlds, what client are you using for your blackberry?
hogarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 AM   #16
Newworlds
Legend

Midpssh. It is similar to Windows Telnet and believe me it is difficult to use because of the inability to control screen scroll. You really have to set up many server side aliases to help you speed things up because typing is slow. But it is very effective for the staff to check out things when out of range of a computer.

Here is the link to download:

Warning: some versions of this thing didn't work right and I had to mess with it a bit to get it to work properly.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about

I use the same thing to MUD from a Blackberry Curve (TMobile). I ssh into my shell account and use tintin++ from there, so aliases etc are all available.

Interestingly, there's been times when I'm out in the middle of nowhere I can't use the browser on the curve, but midpssh somehow always works. You can also tether the curve to a laptop effectively using it as a cellular (slow) modem. Being able to get a full screen on the laptop from pretty much anywhere is very nice. As a bonus, calls made over wifi vs the cell network never count towards your minutes, so all calls made while home are free.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough

I lurve my Curve. Tethering is awesome.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road

Bump. Er a bit anyway.
I'd love to see a mobile mud client though, I've started to have more players logging in with a cellular IP and found them most to be using some kind of SSH/Telnet. Honestly, with the way phones are going, and how muds are text.. I could see this being something that revitalizes MUDding in general. Look at texting and it's impact.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody

I agree, generally, that the iPhone can help text games reach new users - just look at how Frotz made a bit of news by offering the old Infocom text adventures on the iPhone!

It's possible with current iPhone apps to Telnet directly via iPhone to a MUD. That part's easy. The interaction, though, isn't much to write home about - and trying to run a roleplaying scene using that tiny virtual keyboard would be infuriating.

Texting is popular, sure, but no one expects decent prose from texting.

However, if all we're looking for is the ability to go NSEW or repeatable commands over and over - iPhone may be a great way to go.

Regardless, any venue that gives MUDs more exposure is a good thing.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote