Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 08-30-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Bastien

Bastien is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Bastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 05:39 PM   #2
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
I have the *PERFECT* MUD for you. The Pattern's End is a WoT based MUD, and have RPxp thingy. It's called Estimated Combat Ability (ECA). It counts all your levels, and RP rank into your IC strength. From the helpfile on the MUD:

To calculate your ECA, take your base ECA from the chart belowand divide it by 100, then multiply it by your levels + half your remort level + 1/4 of your extension levels.

I won't put in the chart because it's not important to people who don't want this. If you are in a guild, and your rank is #6 let's say. You are classified as a Junior Officer with ECA of 18. 18/100 x (your level) = IC strength. The rules about battling and that junk are also on the help files. Check TPE out. The information is in my signature.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 05:58 PM   #3
Sapphar

If you're tired of the WoT theme and ready to move on, Inferno would be a great choice. You get experience for being in the world. It is classless and has an excellent group of roleplayers to keep you company. As a fighting type character (variety of magic types to be, wide variety of weapon user types, and a non-weapon user type also) you can get experience through using your skills as opposed to managing to just kill something.

for more info.

Sapphar
Old 08-30-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
Again, if you're sick of WoT, you might try DartMUD. We have a classless system, although we do have guilds, but they're more a matter of RP and such than anything else. (i.e. you can join the Healer's Guild and still learn firebolts if you can get away with it) There are also castles you can join, and political quirks of each. Skillwise, you can learn the art of fighting, magic, thievery, or become a crafter, or any combination. (Theoretically you could learn every skill in the game with one char, but trying to be a fighter/mage would *really* slow down your learning.) Every time you use a skill, you have the potential to get better at it. There's even a skill called channelling, although it's not the same as on WoT by any means. We don't RP as much as we could, but despite that I think it's a pretty good mud.

If you want more info check out or there's also a review of it I posted a while back under the name of Veia.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 08:33 PM   #5
Bastien

Bastien is on a distinguished road
*bump* I want a few more suggestions, PE was alright, kinda different

I dont have much fundage, so Inferno is kinda out...

C'MON C'MON!!!! HELP ME OUT!!
Bastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
TG_Nek

Did you try DartMUD? Their sight looked pretty interesting.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:30 PM   #7
sabia

sabia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to sabia Send a message via AIM to sabia Send a message via MSN to sabia Send a message via Yahoo to sabia
sabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 03:05 AM   #8
Seraph

Seraph is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seraph Send a message via MSN to Seraph
If you're sick of the average mud, one that auto-attacks, or is just based on you killing mobs and gaining levels, then try these ones.

Achaea.com:23 or
Aetolia.com:23

They are two of the most legendary muds I have ever played. They remind me of what TEC used to be like. As you can see, Achaea has recently come to be near the top of TMS and I think if Aetolia were on here, it would be too. It is the most innovative mud I have played.

- Non Auto-attack
- Lots of quests
- Heaps of skills that you have to train up, not just practice
- RP-enforced by the players in the game, not the imm's
- Extensive and involving class and character selection.

Plus many more things I haven't the time to mention. If you're after a good mud, thats is different, these two are it.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 05:58 AM   #9
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae
The Inquisition gives rpxp, which is one thing that I liked about that game. You can also get exp from fighting mobs or from exploring, but I think that rp is the main way to gain exp. It also has a rather unique fighting system and theme. I personally found it a bit too complicated, but maybe if I spent more time there I would have gotten used to it.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 12:01 PM   #10
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
I'm not too fond of Achaea, although I admit I haven't played it enough to know all the inner workings of it. I think it has a lot of potential (nice political system, etc.) but underneath all the add-ons it still revolves around killing stuff to gain levels. It has a lot of skills, but you can only learn specific ones depending on which guild you join, although you do train them up and such. (Training is accomplished by going to a teacher and using up lessons, which you get by leveling or by paying real money.) Like I said, they have some really neat aspects, but I'd rather see them integrated into a system similar to DartMUD than just slapped onto a typical hack&slash base.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:43 AM   #11
John

John is on a distinguished road
I suggest it has enforced RP and isn't your standard H&S. It's set in the harsh world of Zalanthas where anyone will kill you for your shoes on your feet. The cops are crooked, and water is worth more then gold.

Amazingly enough, it isn't a H&S. I've never seen a Mud with RPing this good. It has an emote system that's out of this world, and it has hard coded skills and whatnot, but you can create certain characters who will survive and have interesting lives, but not use a single coded skill.

OOC success isn't measured by IC success either. You can have an amazingly fun time playing the beggar while the rich merchant is bored out of his mind. Or vice verca.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:54 PM   #12
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Arrow

Wow, that's an odd thing to say about Achaea. We've put almost no effort into the monster-bashing part of the game, and made leveling up essentially optional past an easy-to-reach point in the game. Most of our big and important players are not particularly high level. Hell, you don't even get any loot, besides some gold now and then, from bashing, and most of the abilities won't work on mobiles. Level isn't even particularly important in PvP combat, where our top-ranked PKers tend to be a good 20 levels below the top-ranked player in terms of level and xp.

In any case, Achaea is most definitely not a hack n' slash MUD, and, in fact, if that's primarily what you enjoy, you're not going to enjoy Achaea.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 05:03 PM   #13
rhakshai

rhakshai is on a distinguished road
I tend to agree actually- I'm surprised to see anyone describe Achaea as being level-based. Yeah, there is bashing and levels, but I tend to think of the basis and interaction between players. I'm not sure whether I should say player combat or politics is the basis...might as well say both, they're pretty well tied together. Level 30 is a cakewalk, level 50 isn't much harder, by around level 70 you're slogging along pretty slowly in terms of xp gain, but a lot of people get to around 60 and just stay there. It's only as important as you want it to be, really.

On another note, I'm not sure if Achaea has exactly the roleplaying system you want. We have a lot of rp because the system is very player-oriented, especially politically, but we don't really have a system of rewarding rp. There are "rolepoints" but each player starts with a full load, and they are only removed generally if you screw up roleplay. I have only seen a few very serious shmucks with lower than full rolepoints, and I've been threatened with rolepoint loss for losing my temper and saying a number of naughty words during an rp event, but other than that....

As Sapphron said, a lot of the rp is only rewarded by players, in intangibles. Better rpers tend to be more respected and so forth. But if you're looking for a system with concrete rewards for good roleplaying, this may not be it.
rhakshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 05:28 PM   #14
rockcrusher_sargon

Old 10-09-2002, 07:23 PM   #15
Loremaster

Loremaster is on a distinguished road
In the interest of truth in advertising, I would like to comment.

- Non-auto attack.
Not positive what you mean, but there are plenty of 'aggresive' mobs, and dangerous places.

- Lots of quests.
 Yes. there are quite a number of them.  Sadly, the implementation is severely lacking in my opinion.  Most of the quests involve bringing something to an NPC who grants a certain amount of coin and/or decreasing amount of XP based on your level.  I spent the first two weeks in constant frustration because players nearing the end of their stay in 'newbie' areas would kill the quest NPC.  It does not change.  with 200-300 players online, a LARGE percentage of them are 'questing', which means that by the time you are finally  able to do anything more than bashing rats, the quest items are not available. All of the quests I came across allowed players to do them multiple times.  This means that even after performing one, they go right back and do it all over again.  Multiply that by a hundred or so players, with another large number of players who just like to go kill the quest NPC's and you see why quests are a sad joke.  

Quests depend on pure luck of being at a quest item spawn and being able to get it to the NPC before someone else kills it.  Players who have spent a lot of CASH in purchasing certain skills that allow them to teleport have the advantage here.  These skills are at the top of the skill sets all the players I met who got them through hundreds of hours of play were at a level that the XP and coin for those quests were basically meaningless.  

-Heaps of skills that you have to train up, not just practice.
The variety of skill offerings at achaea truly are nice. Being able to fashion a voodoo doll that can kill another player anywhere in the lands is just cool.  Tattos are fun too. However,  most of the imprortant skills are only available to certain guilds.  Wanna be a Serpent Lord that uses a mixture of Venoms with weapons and armor only available to Knights? Nope.  Guild dictates your primary skills, and to a large extent, style of play.  I dont understand the bit about  'train up, not just practice.'  A new player can come into the game knowing nothing. Never killing so much as a baby rat, and if they spend some $$ on purchasing credits they can convert to lessons, they can have the same top-level skills that others have spent months of time in game to be able to achieve.

- RP-enforced by the players in the game, not the imm's.
This is true from my experience.  The best way to deal with the newbie killers (which seem to abound) is to talk to the head of their guild.

-Extensive and involving class and character selection.
Didn't seem that extensive or involving to me.  With the choice of guild dictating your skills, its more a matter of choosing a race that isnt too hampered by your guild choice.  I did not stick around long enough to try all the race guild combinations and cannot definitively say that choosing a race low in the Intelligence stat would not do well with the Occultists or Mages.

==================

On a separate note:  I found Achaea to be very much a non-newbie friendly game.  I tried four different guilds after being completely ignored by the leaders of the first guild I tried... it was not much better in the others.  You would think that members in the same guild would at least show SOME interest in recruiting and training up new members.  None of the guild leaders I met displayed any of the traits normally associated with leadership; they were leaders only in name and title.

When getting any kind of assistance from veteran guildmembers is like pulling eye-teeth, there is something wrong.

I do not consider achaea to be solely responsible for this other than the way I feel they have designed the game to attract and reward players who only care about themselves.

I actually *did* meet three players who were there not only to have a good time but actively took part in making it fun for others as well.  None of them were guild mates.

"If it was really as bad as you make it sound, why did you stay?" you may ask.
One reason is because I kept hoping that things would improve as I gained skills.  Another reason is because I wanted to find another place to play before quitting.

Achaea has some interesting features and it obviously appeals to the 200-300 players I see during prime playing times.   My biggest disappointment is that the crafting/merchant features I originally joined for did not seem to be a realistic path.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:05 PM   #16
Astin

Astin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Astin Send a message via AIM to Astin Send a message via Yahoo to Astin
I wont plug my mud but I will say that the Dawn of Time codebase has an rpxp system. You can find a list of the established muds on the . I think you would enjoy any of these muds. With your mudding experiance you might even land yourself a job if you're looking.

-- Astin
Astin is offline   Reply With Quote

RpXp? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPxp Enzo Roleplaying and Storytelling 0 11-17-2002 04:36 PM