Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Great MUD: BatMUD

Hello all
After some search, I found a very good mud that is fun,complex,interesting and doesn't require roleplay.
That MUD is BatMUD,which you can visit at

What is BatMUD?

Please visit for specific info on BatMUD

BatMUD has many features including a friendly community and friendly staff, in game realm maps,automatic mapper for the outerworld, many different channels where people can chat.

If you would like more info,please visit
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Great MUD: BatMUD

Batmud is awesome. It's the premiere LPMUD.

I was a wiz there two different times in the early 90s! I have fond memories of a North America Batmud meet in '93(?) at some big amusement park in Ohio. I was too hungover to really ride any rides but it's a great memory.

-matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

It's nice to see how views can change over the years, and pretty encouraging from a development perspective. As luck would have it, I was researching into the whole "text muds are dying" fixation last night, prompted by an , and stumbled across an old quote of yours:

"Although its really a lame hack n' slash mud, the biggest I've ever seen is batmud, which has an imposed limit of 150 players at once on." -- .

You run a few fairly successful muds, so I'd certainly be interested to hear what you feel can turn a "lame" mud into an "awesome" one. Are there any specific features or changes that helped, or do you think it's mostly due to all-round polishing and refinement over the years? Are there any specific things you feel new muds could learn from BatMUD's example?

Last edited by KaVir : 01-18-2008 at 09:37 AM.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
lovechiefs

Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs

Nice Matt.Wasn't aware.
Yea,BatMUD is a great game. Not only do they have all of those features,but in addition to that the game is not roleplay required/enforced. Players can talk in different channels about politics,football,hockey and so forth.All of this while playing. I have also rarely seen as much help for new players as I have seen in BatMUD.
In addition, their client is awesome.Nice colors,nice maps.Basically a very good client

I still like your games Matt,but I am just not into heavy roleplay(even though Achaea files say that roleplay is advised,some of your players and immortals still play like it is enforced). In addition,no mapper(CMUD or any other) seem to work with your games and it is difficult to travel in a text world without automapper.
Your games are also one of the few(with BatMUD)where there is a good support for new players.By the way,I am still connecting to Achaea,but mostly for leveling.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
the_logos
Legend

It's mainly a change in perspective. Around the time I made that quote I was, as a player, going through a heavy fixation on roleplaying, whereas I now view roleplaying as a game feature like any other. Highly desirable to some players, undesirable to others (like the original poster), and not inherently good nor bad. Of course, if a game population wants roleplaying it's something good to support (lest I get any complaints from players of our text MUDs claiming that "Matt doesn't care about roleplaying!")

I'm also impressed by Batmud's level of development over the years. Few MUDs can match the sustained development that Batmud has seen.
--matt
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
the_logos
Legend

Yes, Achaea is definitely roleplay encouraged. If you're flat-out not into any kind of roleplaying, it's probably not the game for you. (All the IRE text MUDs are currently working on including in-game mapping so that the mapping is client-agnostic btw.)

--matt
Old 01-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road

It could be good to look into adding MXP support to IRE MUDs if mapping is a problem. There's special MXP tags to make it easier for MXP compatible MUD clients to build the map.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
lovechiefs

I don't know what is MXP.
However what is also good about Bat is that their mapping is within their own client
Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road

MXP is an extension protocol(Mud eXtension Protocol). It's similar to XML and let's the MUD send more colours than the standard ansi colours as well as change fonts, send output to frames, define gauges, show pictures and probably some more. It also has support to help improve recognition of rooms for MUD clients. There's documentation about MXP at if you want to read more about it.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote