Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #41
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
OH MY GOD! Since a feature existed on some Dikus (most of which nobody ever played), any implementation of a similar feature is therefore lame and not cool.

Xerox was the first company to create the GUI. It sure didn't do them much good though, eh?

Great logic there, trolls.

It really is amazing the degree to which people with NO ACCOMPLISHMENTS will trash the actually productive efforts of other people.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 PM   #42
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Can somebody tell me how in god's name THE CHAIR THREAD gets more posts than a more intelectually stimulating conversation about race originality, the purpose of life, or something that is not about FURNITURE?!?
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #43
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #44
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #45
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Neither, just nothing to be shouting about, and certainly not something which "pushes the feature envelope for online games" as you previously claimed. The_logos has responded to other people in much the same way when they've claimed to have something 'original', so I fail to your problem.

Or perhaps we just don't boast about every minor feature we implement? What next - an advert about how your mud now has objects that save over reboots, perhaps? Maybe some promotional material about now having colour? Or perhaps you've recently introduced mobs? Being over a decade behind the times is not something I'd boast about.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #46
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

No you're getting it mixed up again. The historical data shows that not only has the envelope already been pushed, it has been pushed further more than a decade prior.

Great reading comprehension, moron.

I don't think anyone said furniture was lame. I mean, where else are you going to sit? It's just not very, very impressive. I know it's convenient for you to see the world in black and white, but believe it or not there are degrees between super awesome and utterly lame.

So you're one of those guys that hates movie reviews because the movie producers didn't write them?

Er, nobody has said anything of the sort. Please read the thread next time.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #47
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Some more player testimonials, in this here advertising thread:

"Those kids on TMS forums are funny. Furniture rocks."

"*squeal* FURNITURE!"

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:04 AM   #48
bbg

bbg is on a distinguished road
the_logos - is there a specific reason why I would not be able to sell my furniture or just give it to someone else if I so like? I would most importantly like to be able to move it - why is this not possible?
bbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:14 AM   #49
the_logos
Legend

Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #50
bbg

bbg is on a distinguished road
ok
bbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:03 AM   #51
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
You seem to be missing the point. Achaea's advertising their furniture inaccurately (like they advertise the RP and most other aspects of their games), crediting themselves with "innovative" features which are anything but.

Instead of responding to the criticisms of his exagerrations, Matt has instead ignored their points and offered "testimonials" from his playerbase, a group that most likely hasn't tried anything but his games, as evidence of the innovation of the features. So yeah, IRE games are going to sound great to them (and even if they didn't, he's not going to post the negatives anyway). But many who've tried more than one MUD often find that what they once considered great is in fact average or worse when they expand their base of comparison. I for one have tried well over 800 MUDs including all the IRE games and not found them the least bit impressive. In fact, having tried Achaea three different times over the last four years, my impression has steadily gone down as I've seen free-to-play MUDs produce much finer games and features in much more impressive manners.

And regarding name-calling, the worst I've seen on this particular discussion has come from you, who've failed to use logic or reason in your posts, ignoring any points made by others in favor of flames.

And as for your criticism of those with "no accomplishments", I've played Threshold MUD too. You fall solidly in that category as well so maybe you ought to take your own advice about being an illogical troll and spend your time bringing that MUD up to par. And try a few other MUDs out there. You might gain inspiration for your own. Just don't call catching-up with what's out there "innovative" or "pushing the envelope."

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:13 AM   #52
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
<headscratch>

All right, maybe I'm having a blond moment and missing something here - but I don't see anywhere in Matt's post a claim that their furniture system is "innovative" in a way that "pushes the envelope."

He's posting about a new feature in one of his games that he's obviously excited about having finished and implemented. No, it isn't the first of its kind. No, it certainly isn't pushing any sort of envelope. But it is a new feature that I'm sure he worked quite hard on to get out there for his players.

Is there something wrong with being revved up about some new work you've implemented? I know I do it all the time - certainly it wasn't the first time in the MU* world when I integrated our game with a phpBB system, or implemented account-based logins, or wrote up wounds- and location-based combat code - but that didn't stop me from being excited and proud about it once it was done. And it certainly didn't stop me from ranting about it to anyone who would listen.

So sue me. I'm a nerd. I have a nerd-like hobby. I get excited about nerd-like things. Is that suddenly not allowed here any longer, or what?

Judging from some of the other advertisements/promotions/bragging posts in this area of the forum that have gone without response, I'm going to hazard a wild guess here and say that the identity of the OP has more to do with the responses to this thread than the actual content.
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #53
TheTrollCop

TheTrollCop is on a distinguished road
Close, but no cigar Traithe. The posts here have more to do with the rabid fanboys that are posting in this thread than with Matt himself. Threshhold and Ilkidarios in particular seemed to be overly boosting this thread and over hyping this system for whatever reason. Whether they get any benefit in game, or Threshold has some deal based upon the old engine, who knows, and who cares. Rampant fanboyism almost always leads to attacks on the opposite end of the spectrum.

The only thing Matt has really done in this thread is encourage flames by posting "quotes" as he calls them. Whether they're truly from players, or utter jargon just made up as part of his "push the post up" campaign, I don't know, and again, I don't care. Just thought I'd bring these things to light for those that can't seem to see the reason behind the amount of posts in this thread.
TheTrollCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:45 AM   #54
the_logos
Legend

More player testimonials:

"Clementius is so awesome! We asked for furniture and bam! It's in!"

"Your furniture system is just another thing that makes me know I made the right choose[sic] spending my time in AChaea."

--matt
Old 03-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #55
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #56
Yui Unifex

Question

I've released two custom codebases to the public domain and am very close to releasing my third. In addition, I've been providing coding help to mud coders for half a decade, and have been coding muds for nearly eight years. Just because we have different audiences doesn't mean I haven't contributed anything to the community.

With that out of the way, credentials mean squat when it comes to easily observable and verifiable facts. It doesn't take a PhD in physics to tell you that the sky is blue. Your focus on credentials instead of the actual points we've all been making clearly shows how your argument is groundless.

You forgot a point in there, where you specifically stated it was pushing the envelope. My response to you was that it definitely was not.

This has nothing to do with a like or dislike for the_logos or his business, and everything to do with the misconceptions you've been stuffing down everyone's throats. I think it's amazing if anyone would take seriously a "recap" coming from someone with such an amazing track record for misunderstanding and missing the point.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:37 AM   #57
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Personally, I have no problem with a MUD advertising their features, so long as they maintain a realistic sense about it. That these features were touted as "innovative" and "pushing the envelope" when they're not is a little misleading.

Personally, I'm glad that people paying to play his game have more features. Less of a waste of their money. But a good number of the advertisements posted, not just Matt's, on this forum are often exagerrations and sad claims of awesome features when they're really not. And often, you're right, noone comments on the overblown claims of those sub-par MUDs either. Maybe I need to frequent the forums more because I probably miss a lot of them.

I'm just as critical about any advertisement, not just on TMS, of products that really aren't that good. That's why I don't watch commercials. Not only do they generate a negative response in me nearly 100% of the time (I'm less inclined to buy most products that advertise themselves because marketing usually brings out my stubborn nature if I see any exagerration or ploy rather than a truthful assessment of the quality of the goods offered), they usually inspire me to comment to those around me of the mistruths and tricks used in them. I do admire when products are truthfully assessed and exagerrations humbly countered by the very people whose products are overblown by others though. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I believe modesty is a virtue.

I still love that quote by Thoreau:

"...instead of studying how to make it worth men's while to buy my baskets, I studied rather how to avoid the necessity of selling them."

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #58
Elof_X

Elof_X is on a distinguished road

There is a difference between being critically constructive and being bluntly inconsiderate, o smug one.
Elof_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #59
Elof_X

Elof_X is on a distinguished road
If you've read all his posts here in this thread, one might say this is hardly accurate. People who cannot counter topics productively with level-headed arguments and must instead lash out bitterly and quickly with excessive sarcastic and self-righteous claims are hardly deserving of the word "mature."
Elof_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #60
Yui Unifex

Question

So back up your claims and quote the topic have I not countered productively and with a level-headed argument. I should note that that someone calling me names will never get a dignified response in return.

Furniture in Achaea! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heraldry in Achaea! the_logos Advertising for Players 2 06-26-2004 02:04 PM
Achaea on TechTv! the_logos MUD Announcements 13 06-17-2004 07:23 AM
Achaea in Wired the_logos Advertising for Players 0 05-25-2004 08:33 PM
Any Help for Furniture Loads? Iluvatar MUD Coding 4 11-03-2003 12:28 AM
Achaea at GDC! the_logos MUD Administration 3 02-12-2003 06:24 PM