Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Odd Raven

Home MUD: Arantha
Odd Raven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odd Raven
Favorite Aspects?

So, I've been thinking about some of my favorite roleplay as a player over the decade or so I've been puddling around in MUDs (Yes. It was a sadly deliberate pun). I've got to say, my early years on Imperian have probably offered the best story-telling period of my experience, but it's over now - come to a natural end, where you just don't really have more to drag your character through. Building a new character's always fun, though and probably my favorite part of the game. As most of you know, I'm sure, I've been kicking around on Arantha lately and I'm enjoying the many details of creating a persona to live behind, figuring out how he or she reacts to certain things, adding quirks (I had a character who was strictly opposed to birth. Seeing it, assisting with it, hearing about it, so on. Outside of her 'realm of interests', she called it. A priest, too. Go figure).

Out of Arantha, I think the thing I'm enjoying best is crafting the character, her interactions with the other Arantha...nites? Aranthians? Well, the other inhabitants of her world. Making poor choices to interact with people who are clearly insane, or befriending a few members of the guard, what have you.

So, what I'm asking is: What's your favorite part of the experience? Smashing stuff over the head with a rock or sword or what-have-you? Creating the persona itself or that rare bit of involvement that lends to your character? Interested!
Odd Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Favorite Aspects?

I've thought about this but can't quite finger what it is that really draws me to a good game. I think mostly it's about my first day playing. I've made the most awesome characters in the world, full of personality and story, with just the perfect niche and role for a mud, and simply put, had no fun whatsoever. I've also made fairly plain characters, just planning on winging it and trying a mud out, and had an absolute blast with how the character's personality and life turned out, completely surprising myself. It all turns on who I bump into that first day and how those interactions go.

That second paragraph of your post is really pretty exemplary of what I'm into. It sounds like you had a fun day, ran into various types of people, got to decide how your character reacted, and made a place for yourself. That day could have been different if you'd run into worse people, had worse interactions, less fun, or not met as many people. I guess you could say my favorite thing isn't creation of a cool character, per se, but the very next step. Seeing whether my creation takes root. That's even more interesting to me than how it grows thereafter. Taking root is the fun part for me.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road

I call them Aranthites, or Aranthans, or You Guys, or Ogre Fodder, etc etc. The one-liners. That and logging in on Saturday morning to find one PC standing on another's shoulders as they attempt to steal a lantern out of a streetlight.
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Odd Raven

Home MUD: Arantha
Odd Raven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odd Raven

I really loved this reply, it made absolute sense to me. It turns out, that is a lot of how it went for me. Met some fun people, they were in-character and interesting, so it gave me the option to be in-character and in turn, become interesting.

Arathans sounds good, I like that best.

I like these mornings. When players just get into mischief and the world reacts to it, whether by will, code or accident (but most preferably by will and accident), it just makes for fun, spontaneous roleplay.
Odd Raven is offline   Reply With Quote