Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 05-13-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Hello
Since I restarted playing MUDs(about 1-2 weeks ago),I love it very much. It is a good change from the usual MMO.
I like it so much that I would like to become more involved.
So, I was wondering how one becomes a MUD staff.I don't know how to code,but support(items purchase and so forth) would suit me best I think.
Any ideas,suggestions,experiences?
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:10 AM   #2
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
It depends on the MUD. Some admins find staff by searching the player base themselves for people who would suit the job. Others take staff applications. It depends on the staff position as well.

The "easiest" way to get a staff position is usually by applying to a builder position and go from there.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Know the game in depth before applying to a staff position.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
What exactly do you mean by

Most shops are automated and don't require a staff member/immortal/wizard to help in the purchase of items.

As for becoming a staff member, I agree with Fern that you should know the mud thoroughly, or find a new mud that is just starting out and learn the codebases OLC.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are multiple ways of joining the ranks of the staff of games-

1. Apply for posts advertised on places like mudmagic, mudconnector and topmudsites etc. However, you have absolutely NO way of knowing what the game is like before you commit real time to it. Also majority of new muds that sound absolutely great crash and burn in no time therefore there is a real risk of you wasting your time.

2. Join in with a group of people you know who set up a new mud. Again, in these really competetitive times there is absolutely NO guarantee that the game would succeed.

3. And what I would recommend and what I have done myself, find yourself a mud you like. Play it for a few months. Get a feel of the place and understand the game mechanics of the world. Then if you feel that you fit within the general climate and would be able to stick around for good, and ONLY then, apply to be a member of the staff. It would be recommended to see that its an established (running for a long time) and highly rated mud (preferably on a majority of mud rating boards) so as to make sure that the game isnt going to disappear on you in a few months along with the hours you put into it (writing, interacting with players, RPing , enforcing rules etc). Of course if it IS a highly rated mud, you would find that joining the staff would be more difficult.

Which brings us to the next question, WHY do you want to be a member of the staff in the first place? Is it because its cool? Is it because you want to contribute to the community (there are often less time consuming ways of giving back to the mud- there are mentors, gamemasters and other mortal positions in many games). Also what skills DO you bring to your imm position- do you write well, are creative and are extremely patient (perhaps be a builder) how good are you dealing with irritating players who break rules (enforcer of rules)? How good are your RP skills? (RP Imm) etc.

What I am basically saying is, becoming a member of a mud's staff isnt something that you do lightly and (most of the time) isnt even fun. Think twice before you apply. And if you do, make sure its the right one for you.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
lovechiefs

lovechiefs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to lovechiefs Send a message via AIM to lovechiefs Send a message via MSN to lovechiefs Send a message via Yahoo to lovechiefs
Thank you for the responses.

Why interested in mud staff?When I like something, I like to be more involved.
I am no good at coding, building. Could probably defend myself in writing. The best I am is dealing with people
That i due to my extensive involvement with anti-cheat communities in America Army and such
lovechiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
W like to take our Imms from our "veteran" playerbase. This just means getting a pinnacled character on the game, and reaching some kind of noteability with it. Most people take about a year to get pinnacle characters. I wouldn't care if it was well-known because he was clanned, a feared pk'er, nice roleplay etc, point is just that he'd have to be well-known and obviously respected. That's about it. You can always open up a QuickMUD of your own if you don't want the hassle of getting a foot in the door at an existing mud. I'm sure you could find a place that'll just let you build though, whether they'd use the material is another matter. ..
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
If you cannot code and are not confident about your ability to build, that leaves you with the possibility of an enforcer position and/or RP. Both of these are likely to require you to have played in the mud for a long time before permitting you to actually unleash havoc on the playerbase alternately, if you are a friendly sort and really want to give back something to the community, many MUDS have opportunities for players to get involved in the form of stuff like mentors (newbie helpers) who are usually mortals. Either way, as Davairus pointed out you would need to have actual playing experience to imm on an existing mud.
And yes, I am assuming you want your contribution to the game to last which is why I recommended an established game. If you are trying to learn and get a hang of how things are, sure, a QuickMud -any form of quickie thing that may or may not last would be equally good.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote