Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #61
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for RP-focused MUD with as little combat as possible

If you want to talk about weak code and memory leaks. I went to a "supposed" top role-play intensive MUD the other day that does an autoboot every 24 hours giving the players a 2 minute warning to log off. If you don't log off and get booted out you are penalised (or punished as they call it). Apparently this is for memory cleaning. Armeggedon used to (don't know if they still do) shut down every week for a day for clean up and updates.

I have no idea how you'd keep any kind of playerbase with this type of odd programming.

As for Threshold's reasons. They are purely roleplay and style reasons. Similar to choosing permadeath over resurrection death or remorting over not remorting. You either like it or you don't and both styles have pros and cons to them.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #62
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

No Role-Play Intensive MUD penalizes or punishes players for not logging off before a reboot nor have they ever. Such a policy is contrary to the principles of RPI because reboots are OOC and hence are not treated within the game as in-character. Southlands uses CircleMud but again I've never seen any sign that they do something as you've described. Shadows of Isildur, Harshlands and Black Sands use a soft-reboot which made this type of interruption unnecessary. As for Armageddon, they used to shut down for part of one day each week in order to do any code and building updates all at once instead of disrupting RP with reboots. All of the other RPIs are either not yet open or not active (essentially not open since their staff aren't checking character applications). Hence your statement could not be true.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #63
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

Not particularly, I was just commenting in general on the legacy features common in many older muds. I have no vested interest in any roleplaying muds, although I do like internally consistancy, and prefer not to enter the game butt-naked after logging off fully dressed. However (as I mentioned in my previous post) I recognise that different people have different preferences, and that some might prefer their equipment vanishing for roleplaying reasons or whatever else.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote