Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 11-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #81
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

I hear you on CF, I personally didn't think they were doing anything odd, I just wondered why the stats seemed so low as far as players online. I know the Mudstats site seems pretty accurate on mine, although it doesn't account for invisible people (or doesn't seem to). But it does seem to update quite regularly, so the 'average' would seem to be close to correct?
Back to the OP's post though, it seems like a witch-hunt. Although, at least one of them proved to be accurate with 90+% of it's votes being proxy. Perhaps Lasher can just set up the voting so it doesn't include any votes from any IP's on the proxy list.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #82
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

I have seen disagreements on this website before, but this comment is low.

I dont see any evidence of cheating, WoT has been around for a long time, it is officially endorsed by the author, and is based on a very popular series. Just because the admin have activly engaged on a promotion to get new blood, and the loyal player base have responded is not grounds for cheating. It doesnt take more than a cursory glance at their forums and website to realise that WoT has a much more active community than most of the other MUD's in the top ten have. I have personally never played it, but the website makes it seem like a very attractive prospect and will probably be the first mud in a year or so that I have logged onto... when I have some spare time.

I am sure TMS owners/admin will admit they are not the centre of the MUD universe, and being in the top 20 is not a sure sign of a great mud.. just a mud with a more effective voting scheme. (please dont think I am saying the top 20 are NOT great muds.. some are brilliant).

If WoT decided to really push for votes, I am sure they would probably be in the top 3 on a regular basis.

Being pushed with TMS votes on muds I have played I found quite annoying, and I am sure it is a difficult thing for game owners to have to ask for their players to take a little time away (even if it is measure in mins) from the game to help market it.

All accusations of cheating should be blocked by moderators unless they come with hard facts, not made up fiction, and that all posts by Anjanas should be moderated before being made public.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #83
valan

Home MUD: WoTMUD
valan is on a distinguished road

I play WoTMUD. I'm not sure how that MUD stats page collects it's info, but if it's using a bot to logon and check the who list, it's likely incorrect. Reason being, there's 3 races, and each races only sees a who list for that race. So one might see 50 players, but there's actually 70 players. Plus, there's one (very interesting I might add) area with it's own who list. I believe there's also a stats page on the website, though, that lists accurate numbers if anyone is interested.

In regards to the Mud Connector, and I'm sure it's like this with a few others, we've more or less stop bothering there it seems. The registration appears to make it too tedious for some. Regardless, I still cast my vote there when I remember.

Regardless of the accuracy, that site is still interesting to check every now and then

Also, MudMann, thank you for the kind words towards WoTMUD

Last edited by valan : 11-09-2009 at 12:12 AM.
valan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #84
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

As I said before, if you feel MUDStats is unfairly representing your mud you might want to consider adding support for . Otherwise MUDStats is going to continue displaying the same player numbers, and anyone using their site will use those numbers to judge the popularity of your games.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #85
Anjanas

Anjanas is on a distinguished road

I don't see any evidence of not cheating. I brought it up. You keep it going. They came on and made all these claims about how great they are and all these players voting so much. Well, Mudmann, I called them on it with there silly 3 votes on TMC and it made them and you cry, apparently. Truth hurts. Proof is in the pudding.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #86
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

Argumentum ad ignorantiam - one cannot prove a negative, so the burden of proof is on you. If WoTMUD is cheating then show the evidence, otherwise I suggest you withdraw your accusations.

WoTMUD was in 5th place on TMS. And according to MUDStats, WoTMUD has the 5th highest average population of the top 10 muds on TMS. While one might argue the accuracy of the MUDStats data, there is certainly nothing suspicious in the statistics.

Furthermore, Lasher has already said that he's looked into proxy cheating, and removed Avalon as a result - this would suggest that there were no obvious problems with the other listings.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #87
Anjanas

I didn't bring the subject back up. You people keep doing it. I am not a tissue, get the picture? Let the cheaters speak for themselves mister Avatar.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #88
MudMann

I dont play WoT, I am not crying. The issue was looked into as a result, some people were found to be breaking rules and dealt with accordingly. WoT was not one of them.

You dont have the manners to appologise but keep with the accusations so I had my say as I want it making perfectly clear to any WoT players / admin who may come onto these forums that myself and I am sure others do not in anyway believe they are cheaters.

Thanks for proving what a prat you are. Troll would be too nice a term.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #89
Anjanas

Sticks and stones mister. You are crying and you remind me alot of the boys in gradeschool that used to pull our ponytails just so they could get attention. Keep up the insults it won't change the outcome. Cheaters never prosper and so we see that they aren't.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #90
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

You two bickering isn't going to add anything to the thread. Just PM each other if you want to do that.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #91
valan

Not so new, eh?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #92
MudMann

*Chuckle* coming from you that is quite amusing. but your point is quite correct, and this thread is exhausted, welcome BACK to the TMS WoT, you non-cheating crew!

I shall make full use (first time ever on ANY forum) of the wonderful ignore facility so I dont take the bait of the irritating yapping mutt anymore....

.....of course not without that last tempting pull of the pigtail before I cover my ears, stick out my tongue and run of going "nah nah nah cant hear YOU!!!" :-D
Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #93
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

Anjanas, you are a disgrace to yourself, and the bad thing is that you don't even realise it.
Since you made this low watermark post, WoTMud has successfully proved their innocense and kept their position on TMS.

And you still call them cheaters in later posts.

The only so called 'proof' that you offer is that they have a low position on another Mud voting site, TMC.
The only thing that proves is that they don't ask their players to vote on TMC.

Using the same flawed logic, you could also prove that Achaea, who currently holds the #2 position on TMS, are cheaters. They currently are listed as #911 on TMC, with a total of 0 votes.
That only proves that Achaea doesn't send their players to vote on TMC either.
Or are you going to call them cheaters next?

You should apologise to WoTMud, or crawl back into the hole you came from.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #94
Anjanas

No I will not apologize. The intent of my post worked. The people cheating quickly changed their tactics. Look at my original post. I said that WoT voted 150 times in one night. Has that happened again since my post? No, not even close. And yes, I've watched them. It worked. They didn't stop the cheating but at least slowed it down.

As for Achaea...draw your own conclusion.

Someone suggested a fix to this voting system by going to a TMC style voting system. I concur. Many in the top twenty here don't even make a dent on TMC. You have to ask yourself why and you will find the answer in my original post.

Molly, Mudmann, and Valan your responses to my valid accusations are rude and defensive and exactly what one expects from guilty parties. You may continue to defend the guilty, but it will not make them any less guilty.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #95
valan

I was not defensive in either of my two posts, the reason being is because I didn't want to appear biased since I play WoTMUD, and have played it for almost 10 years now. I did, however, point out a couple minor things which really have little to no relevance here. If I came across as rude, I apologize, as that was never my intention.

If you're really interested in why our numbers have dropped some, it's probably because over at WoTMUD there's been no talk about voting in the past week, and not much talk for the week before that. Though that really doesn't concern me much. We know our MUD is great, and we don't need high rankings on TMS to prove it. It's just an added benefit when it does happen.

It is obvious, however, that nothing that anyone says or does here will change your opinion of who is cheating and who isn't, especially when you're the only person who thinks we're cheating and there's people who don't even care for WoTMUD who are still defending it. But I really don't care what you think about it, you're not going to cause me to lose any sleep tonight. Perhaps WoTMUD's PK will, when I get caught up in it and stay up too late, but that's beside the point
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #96
MudMann

Dont feed the trolls Valan.. you will never get rid of them that way.

It baffles me how I am accused of being a guilty party when I dont even play / admin any of the games concerned. Most bizarre. I am just one of the people with a modicum of common sense that can see things laid out on this issue and draw likely conclusions, and also accept results of investigations.

We should be thankful for our wonderful troll... helps us realise that not matter how pathetic we can be, there is always someone far far worse.

Now shhhhh.. its late in the UK and time for bed!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #97
Nikkotek

Nikkotek is on a distinguished road

Well... On WoTMUD we have plenty of trolls. Except not Anjanas type trolls... Our trolls can smell people in their zones, see in the dark, run further than a horse and have a bonus to get 2 extra strength points other races can't get. So our trolls are pretty badass and everyone's welcome to play them. Just know I'll be killing you if you do play one!

Ok... Maybe we do have a few Anjanas' on our forums... But who doesn't? :P
Nikkotek is offline   Reply With Quote