Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 07-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Check out the September issue of CWG. There's a half page article about Achaea in there. Text hasn't been completely forgotten by mainstream games media!

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
Myrd

Myrd is on a distinguished road
Or at least Achaea hasn't been completely forgotten by mainstream games media. Not to bash Achaea or anything, but it seems all recent mainstream publicity has been focusing on Achaea. Besides Medievia's $16000 PC Gamer 1page advertisement a while back, and all of Achaea's publicity, I haven't heard any other MUDs mentioned anywhere in the mainstream. Is it just a case of other MUD owners not trying as hard as Achaea to get their PR out, or is it some other parts of the equation?
Myrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
Maybe because Achaea is the biggest and most popular MUD out there that is (Mostly) free to play, and still manages to have a good level of Roleplaying? And you answered the question about advertising yourself- they have the money, small muds don't.
Kenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:08 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

Well, honestly, no, I don't think either of those has anything to do with it. Remember we're talking about PR here, not advertising.

It boils down to a few factors.

1. Mainstream games media (after all, Computer Gaming World is hardly mainstream media generally, just mainstream games media) isn't too keen on covering hobby projects, which make up 98-99% of text muds.

2. Most text mud admins devote no time whatsoever to PR. Why should they? If you're doing something for a hobby, does it really matter? The attention might be nice but that's all that's really driving you in that situation, unless you're angling to parlay your mud into a job in the games industry.

3. Most text muds don't really do anything worth being covered by the mainstream games media. What this type of media reporter wants to see are things that will make sense and be of interest to his readers (ie people who don't play text muds). This definitely does not include roleplaying, nor does it include having a new fantasy race or cool monster bashing, etc. Gleam got us a lot of attention because drug use is a familiar, controversial subject to people generally, whether they play text muds or not.

--matt
Old 07-27-2004, 06:06 AM   #5
bbg

bbg is on a distinguished road
Plus, you must remember that this is **Matt's** mud and Matt is the only one who has ever managed to run a mud as a business (or so it would seem from all the confidence eminating from every single word he ever says...)
How annoying that arrogance is becomming!
bbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #6
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Actually i think he use to mention gemstone and all the other more profiting muds runned as business... So its not like he's saying achaea is the only mud managed to make a profit.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #7
Harker

Harker is on a distinguished road
Arrogance backed up by demonstrable gameplay. I started on Achaea two years ago, from an ad on . Funny, that. Battle.net was down, and I thought I could pass an hour or two in this odd little text game.

I no longer have Diablo 2 installed on my computer. Advertising pays! Matt and the team at IRE have a good product. It doesn't take much to sell a good one.
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
bbg

That Achaea is a brilliant mud I don't doubt for a moment - it is one of the best that I have ever played. All I am saying is that Matt's blowing his own horn is going to make some people deaf! It is just becoming boring and a bit much and if you look at many of his posts about himself and the company and the way he often speak to newbies and newcommers it just radiats arrogance which is most of the time uncalled for. Like you said - a good product sells itself hey!
But anyway - I don't suppose this is the place to moan about people and to get personal (I know I started it)... If there is any other place where I can go to incriminate him, please let me know...
Old 07-27-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's because Achea can afford to advertise itself because it is a pay to play mud? There are many much better muds that are free to play but because they are free, they don't have the money to do things like this. It seems pretty simple, really.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
the_logos
Legend

Yep. Simutronics is better than we are at doing commercial muds. There's no arguing with the bottom line. Medievia also seems to be doing nicely, as does Threshold. Not sure how Eternal City is doing these days but they had a fair few players once.

--matt
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
the_logos
Legend

Old 07-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #12
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
In related news, McDonald's is profitable, popular, and gets a lot of media attention.

It's not where I want my dinner prepared, but there's a place for it.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #13
bbg

Ah heck - I must admit the truth about the mud that I have enjoyed more than any other one I have ever played, and will do my best to promote it!
( Where's that money you promised me?  The transfer hasn't come through to my bank account as of yet? )
Old 07-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #14
the_logos
Legend

Old 07-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #15
Wenlin

Wenlin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wenlin
I've, uh, got a September issue of CGW, and I can't even find the article. Anyone know what page it's on?

Edit: Never mind, between page 28 and 29.
Wenlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:51 AM   #16
Beren

Beren is on a distinguished road
Beren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #17
vitae

vitae is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

That's funny, I thought Achaea was a free-to-play.
I mean, i tried it, didn't like it in the least, and didn't stay, but at least I didn't see anything about needing to pay.
I am sure that it's good as far as many others are concerned since it is #2 ranked and at times #1, but I sure as #### wouldn't play any place that was pay-to-pay.
vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #18
Treestump

Treestump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Treestump
It's called jealousy.
Treestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #19
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Maybe Logos can be annoying with his very loud pats on his own back. Maybe not. Doesn't bother me, personally, but I can see how it would annoy others.

The fact of the matter is though, that text games are a very narrow niche in the gaming community. We're not a dying breed by any stretch of the imagination, but we are - an odd duck when it comes to the world of "games."

There are people out there in the "rest of the world" who don't know that text games exist. Some of those people don't care. Some don't know that the opportunity to care exists, but would care if it was pointed out to them.

Achaea's good fortune and money spent on promotions and efforts in public relations gets the word out to the "might play if I knew it existed" population that these games exist.

Sure, it draws attention to their game - and well it should! But not everyone who "might play if I knew it existed" will like that particular game after giving it a try. And some of THOSE people will think - hm. This game exists, and oh what's that "VOTE" button on their website? And click just to see what else is out there. And then - THEN! Another game gets a visitor from someone who "might play if I knew it existed."

One successful commercial game drawing attention to the text-game community can only be a GOOD thing, and so I applaud the efforts of anyone who is willing to go to bat for the genre in such a public way, and I feel they deserve to pat themselves on the back and tell everyone "Hey lookie what I did!"
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #20
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I agree with Jazuela. Whether the_logos gets on your nerves or not, it's fantastic that his games get some print in magazines that normally only care about graphical MMORPGs or standard PC fare.

I've been lucky enough myself to have my games featured in a Tampa Tribune article - major mainstream media - but I don't think that's nearly as effective as the exposure Achaea got with CGW.

The beauty of Achaea's exposure, whether you like the_logos or not, is that it's good news for all text game operators. In our character creation process on the JTS games, we ask where our players come from and what experience they've had. I've lost count of how many newbies we've received by way of Achaea, Imperian, Aetolia and The Eternal City - commercial, well-publicized games.

Good publicity for Iron Realms, Skotos and other commercial MU* projects amounts to good publicity for everybody in the MU* community. Celebrate it.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote

Achaea in Computer Gaming World! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The future of text-based gaming? Delerak Tavern of the Blue Hand 49 07-04-2007 06:33 PM
MUD Computer Language Imagine9718 Newbie Help 3 11-18-2004 12:50 PM
Dream Computer Burr Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 04-25-2004 04:05 PM
Win a real-world Glamdring in Achaea! the_logos Advertising for Players 17 11-25-2003 07:51 PM
Florida Online Gaming Alliance Brody MUD Announcements 0 02-13-2003 05:09 PM