Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD and RPG Webmasters
Click here to Register

Old 08-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
less than sacred

less than sacred is on a distinguished road
I'm redesigning the webpage for Dark Hope MUD and I'd like to get a few opinions about it if you have the time to take a look.
you can find the page at

Thanks
less than sacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
DSer

DSer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to DSer Send a message via AIM to DSer
DSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
Ltriad

Ltriad is on a distinguished road
Your frame sizes should be corrected... certain ones are certainly too large for the amount of information/text/graphics in them and others are far too small to allow a person to navigate freely. IMHO, the lower left frame should just be on a seperate linked page altogether. My rule; keep frames to a min (i.e. max of 3).

My two cents,
Ltriad.
Ltriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:19 PM   #4
less than sacred

I appreciate the input. I would reset my frame sizes but I like seamless frames that aren't visible for the most part. If I adjust them I start getting slider bars that, to me, take away from the overall smoothness.

It's a rough draft and I still have a lot of work to do on it. But I think I outdid myself with the graphics I made.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
Aeledius

Aeledius is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Aeledius Send a message via AIM to Aeledius Send a message via MSN to Aeledius
In reply to a previous comment: You can adjust your frames and still keep a "seemless" look just make them NOSCROLL or SCROLLING = NO, can't remember off the top of my head which it is.  Its been a while since I've used straight HTML.  Secondly, in IE, it doesn't look seemless, you gotta turn off the frame borders, they look horrid.

Third, just a suggestion, but its a big difference between amateur and semi-professional pages: PRELOAD YOUR ROLLOVER IMAGES. That is, when I put my mouse over your nav links, I DON'T want to see it take 2 seconds the first time to change (waiting for the image download) and it be instantaneous the second and subsequent times (when the image is cached).

If you need any help with these, there are code snippets, examples, tutorials, etc all over the place on the net, but should you be lazy/non search friendly, feel free to contact me.

MSN:
AIM: Aeledius
Email:

P.S. That goes for anyone else too, I sincerely believe in giving back to the community that has helped me so much.

James Meyer
aka Aldyn creator and founder of Aeledius (currently down for redesign)
Aeledius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:09 AM   #6
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan
The logo frame is just way too big. Even at 1024x768, it squashes the main content frame so small as to make reading it painful. I would probably only have that logo on my front page anyway, settling for a smaller version above the menu on the left on all other pages. That would allow the entire right-hand side of the screen to scroll.

I would also prefer the style information to be in a separate style sheet but I suppose that's a religious issue. Not much need for all that 'style="color: rgb(204, 204, 204)' stuff everywhere, though.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
less than sacred

New Dark Hope Webpage.  Tell me what you think. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hope its nicer here ladygrace_of_elysium Tavern of the Blue Hand 6 06-15-2007 11:38 AM
Lost: One Webpage Mabus MUD and RPG Webmasters 1 08-22-2006 08:41 AM
TMS icon on webpage? Angie MUD and RPG Webmasters 2 05-01-2004 11:52 AM
Dark Hope MUD is open for business! less than sacred Advertising for Players 1 08-13-2003 10:33 PM
Gold Bonus added to Dark Hope MUD less than sacred Advertising for Players 0 08-13-2003 09:04 PM