Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
sorressean

sorressean is on a distinguished road
Looking for a mud

Hello all,

I am looking for a good mud to dedicate some downtime to. Here's kind of what I like.

I don't mind hack-and-slash, as long as it is not the only thing driving the game. I like to have other stuff to do, crafting, some quests, I really like muds that allow for a lot of customization by the player.

I'm not to picky on everything else. It seems like most muds have dragons and demons running around, so I'm not going to exclude those, I just want a well-rounded mud to get into.
All I will exclude is Hellmoo.

Thanks,
~Sorressean
sorressean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a mud

Though it is quite combat-centric and roleplay intensive. If you play a character concept without a focus on combat then you probably miss out a bit.
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Ironclaw is good for play, and the Staff is open to Player input.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Alter Aeon may be what you're looking for. There's a huge amount of stuff to do other than hack and slash, and the new player areas are pretty quest heavy if that's your thing. It's actually possible to level a character without ever killing anything, but I wouldn't recommend that as a goal for a new player.

-dentin

dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

This describes nearly every mud to some extent. I'd honestly just start at the top of the TMS list and work your way down, seeing what you like. For example, Aardwolf is primarily hack and slash driven, but there's some questing and other elements. New Worlds is mostly a mix of combat and roleplaying, but other elements like quests and their version of crafting are there, but kind of occur off to the side. Each of the Iron Realms muds is fairly combat driven, but there are a whole bunch of secondary skills, item making skills, and the like. And so on. Once you've tried out 20 or so muds, you'll probably have a better idea about the specific combat, questing, roleplaying, and crafting mix you're looking for.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Markov_AU

Name: Ben
Home MUD: Adventures Unlimited
Markov_AU is on a distinguished road

I'll throw Adventures unlimited in, we've got crafting, auto quests etc

Markov_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough

Among the many, many MUDs your description covers is . We particularly excel in the area of character customizability. We've been developing in a somewhat different direction from most MUDs for a while, though, so be prepared for past experience to not be a completely reliable guide.
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

90% of our players devote 100% of their downtime to NWA as well as 50% of there work/school time.

Not really a hack and slash MUD. We are roleplay required, but the adventure is incredible. Lots of powers, skills, monsters, areas, and relics to find and explore.

Crafting. We have specific guilds dedicated to this. Quests. Built right into the storyline and roleplay of the game. So no manual or list of quests, you find them in the body of the epic adventure. Intense. Seriously intense!

What isn't customizable? You create all aspects of your character, from history to background to race, description, skill choices, guild, and even the style of character you are. In some areas in the game you can be a servant or even a slave (though I don't recommend that). And the races are sometimes unique and odd with racial languages and historical backgrounds.

We have everything else. Houses, Ships, Caravans, Invasions, Religions, Kingdoms, Wars, et al.
Check out the ships, pets, religions and even story driven and intelligent invasions. Yes groups of defenders 20 to 100 strong join forces to defend hordes of intelligent agressors with siege engines, projectile weapons and insanely thought out siege type combat. If you wanted you can even check out the novel you can read online that gives you an epic historical background to the game.

Dragons eh, well we have Green, Red, Black, all the baddies. But not only that, ever tame a dragon. Possible in NWA. As for Demons. How about a guild that actually calls them from the netherworld? It's here.

92.34% (and the .34% are the gnomes) of the players agree that NWA is robust and well rounded and has one of the best functionalities to really get intense, quality adventure and roleplay in one place. We also have a staff and playerbase that are extremely helpful to new roleplayers.

Dammit, we are hellmoo. Just Kidding, but if we were it would be one hell of a cow.

I invite you to spend a week on NWA and see where it takes you.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough

Newworlds' last line indirectly makes a really good point. As you're trying out each of these suggestions, unless you're really turned off by what you see, give each mud a week. For a decent mud, it takes about that long to really get a sense for gameplay, roleplaying, and all of the features. If you're still having fun after a week, it's probably a good mud to stick with. If it's been a whole week and you're still bored and find everything cumbersome, clumsy, and incomprehensibly tedious despite your best efforts to learn and give the mud a fair chance, find another mud to try. Not that it really needs saying. It's just that I've seen a lot of people try a mud and leave after a day based on their very initial impression.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Newworlds just about has me sold on it.

Far better than what I've spent nearly ten years playing.

darren Brimjhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote