Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2003, 07:31 AM   #1
Enignon
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2
Enignon is on a distinguished road
Have you been loyal to your RPG for what seems like an eternity?
At Medievia, we have players who have been loyal to us for over ten years.
The reason is that Medievia is never remade; instead, it's upgraded every
day. It has become the largest game in the world in size and in features.

We can do this because Medievia is a text RPG game. Everything we program is
all about new features and functionality instead of wasting time with the
latest graphics and sound. As an RPG player, you know what's important for
maximum fun in a game. Come check us out.

We know you're loyal. We know you shy away from trying new games. We have
over twenty-six thousand players who felt the same way when Medievia was
recommended to them. The difference is Medievia is not just a game, but an
international group of friends and family who just can't seem to part ways.
No other RPG game connects people online like Medievia does. We have five
hundred people playing together right now.

If you think your latest RPG is fun, we dare you to enter Medievia. It will
change your RPG life forever! Come check it out at http://www.medievia.com.
Enignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Molly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sweden
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Posts: 566
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
You forgot to mention that Medievia ripped off its code and is currently making a lot of money from the illegal abuse of the Diku licence.

You also forgot to mention that it is not listed on this site for that very reason.

In view of those facts, I consider advertising for it here bad taste, to say the least.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #3
Wik
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: OtherSpace
Posts: 140
Wik is on a distinguished road
Wow. You have some huge balls coming here.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
Enzo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 342
Enzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Molly O'Hara @ Feb. 28 2003,06:34)
...I consider advertising for it here bad taste...
You tell him Molly.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
Eternal
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 28
Eternal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Eternal
Wow... the infamous Medievia...

Go there at your own risk, play at the risk of your reputation within the MUDding community at large. That's all I'll say.
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
Enignon
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2
Enignon is on a distinguished road
*bump*
Enignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Falconer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Paris
Posts: 35
Falconer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Falconer
Quote:
Originally Posted by
The reason is that Medievia is never remade
Right from the horse's mouth, ladies and gentlemen: Medievia was never 'remade' from DIKU code, as Vryce originally claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
It has become the largest game in the world in size and in features.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
*bump*
I've sent an email to Synozeer recommending that you be banned from these forums.
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:44 PM   #8
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,303
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Molly O'Hara @ Feb. 28 2003,09:34)
You forgot to mention that Medievia ripped off its code and is currently making a lot of money from the illegal abuse of the Diku licence.
Is that conjecture or have you proof of that? (And "everybody knows they did it" is not a valid indictment.) I don't have an opinion one way or another, as I've not seen the code or ever logged in, but if they have been profiting illegally from stolen IP, it would seem that either nobody actually has any proof or the license holders don't consider it worthwhile to sue. That's really no different from the numerous muds on here that are blatantly ripping off other people's licenses (whether they make money off it is irrelevant.). Dragonball Z, for instance.

Now, I know that if I was the DIKU license holder and I had evidence that someone was making money off the work I had generously released for free, I'd have a lawyer on them asap. If it's as clear-cut a violation as you say, it'd be easy to shut them down and suck some money out of them at the same time.

I'm not defending Medievia, as I don't know anything about them, but I, at least, would be interested to see proof. I'd consider helping fund a lawsuit against them if it is a clear-cut case. I detest people who steal other people's intellectual property.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:58 PM   #9
Yui Unifex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 323
Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Quote:
Originally Posted by (the_logos @ foo)
Is that conjecture or have you proof of that?
A great deal of evidence is here: http://med.kavir.org. It's pretty damning.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #10
Valg
Moderator
 
Valg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Posts: 643
Valg will become famous soon enough
These seem to be several of the better-documented accusations:

http://slithytoves.sytes.net/~kurt/Medievia.html

http://520006811875-0001.bei.t-online.de/med.html

http://www.oz.net/~gpine/med/MudMaster/omaspew.htm
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:27 PM   #11
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Is that conjecture or have you proof of that?
Quite a few people (myself included) have looked through the source code after it was put up on a website for download, and done various comparisons. We're talking files which (when compared with diff) have as little as 14% original code (the rest being EXACTLY the same as Merc 1.0). There are even comments left in from some of the original Merc team.

We've also got hold a copy of the faxed statement, signed by the owner of Medievia under penalty of perjury, in which he identifies the code as being that of Medievia, and demands that it be removed from the website.

There's also numerous quotes from other people who have been through the code, including ex-Medievia staff members, and the original owner of the mud.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #12
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,303
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (KaVir @ Mar. 22 2003,19:27)
Quite a few people (myself included) have looked through the source code after it was put up on a website for download, and done various comparisons.  We're talking files which (when compared with diff) have as little as 14% original code (the rest being EXACTLY the same as Merc 1.0).  There are even comments left in from some of the original Merc team.

We've also got hold a copy of the faxed statement, signed by the owner of Medievia under penalty of perjury, in which he identifies the code as being that of Medievia, and demands that it be removed from the website.

There's also numerous quotes from other people who have been through the code, including ex-Medievia staff members, and the original owner of the mud.
Yeah, looking through the sites people listed in previous posts, there does seem to be a lot of pretty clear-cut evidence that they're violating the license. So why haven't the DIKU license-holders sued them? Why not use the DMCA to harrass them? As at least one of those sites correctly pointed out, if they started with DIKU and slowly re-wrote it, it's still a derivative work under US copyright law. He's flat-out admitted that he did this.


--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Have you been loyal to your RPG for what - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for loyal players UnKnOwN1205 Advertising for Players 0 07-09-2004 02:48 PM
What traits characterize race-loyal players? Burr Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 02-12-2004 01:50 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014