Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 02-19-2004, 03:16 AM   #1
Raith

Arrow

I realize, that I quickly become bored with the internet without a good MUD to dedicate my time to. Now, before everyone just jumps all over this topic, I want to make something completely clear.

I DO NOT want to play a traditional fantasy or medieval game! (This means, no elves, dwarves, etc.)

I DO NOT want to play a class/level based game!
(Pretty self explanatory)

I DO want a game with a creative concept and enviroment, which I can enter and immediately begin to roleplay. (So, I basically hinted I want a Roleplaying Enforced enviroment, as well)

I want to be welcomed into the game as if I'm a member of the family, I do not want to be excluded merely because I'm some "newbie".

Well, If you have any idea of which MUDs meet that criteria, nows the time to let me know.

P.S. I am very picky, so if your MUD doesn't fit that above descriptions, don't bother posting it please.

-- Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:33 AM   #2
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Well, I *have* played it, and I still agree with John. Spooky. For more info, go to , or .
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Raith

Old 02-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Perhaps it would be best if you further explained what you mean by "traditional fantasy or medieval game". Would original-themed pseudo-medieval be in that category or not?
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Jazuela

Uh what Wik said. If you tossed Armageddon into the "traditional fantasy" category, you obviously didn't even bother looking at the 1-paragraph description of it on this website's mud listing.

It isn't traditional -anything.- It's a post-apocalyptic desert planet where magicks are strictly controlled by the templarate in one city, and utterly outlawed in another. You don't see wizards casting magicks for kicks and giggles, there's no such spell as "magic missile," there are no medieval castles, no one talks in quasi-shakespearean accents, commoners often have to beg, borrow, or steal to earn their keep, and there are no "gods" that people worship or believe in.

By all means, explain what you mean by "traditional" fantasy. I'd be interested to hear it.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:54 AM   #8
Venomz

Name: Donovan
Home MUD: Armageddon
Venomz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Venomz Send a message via AIM to Venomz Send a message via MSN to Venomz Send a message via Yahoo to Venomz
I also play ArmageddonMUD. As Jazuela said, it cannot be called high fantasy in any way. Low fantasy, I'll give you.

Armageddon is the most lauded roleplaying enforced MUD (as opposed to MUX or MUSH) in history. I think the only reason that you might not like Armageddon is because of the classes, which do exist. However, feel limited in no way by your class. We have sub-classes to add talents to your character. Given certian situations, and reasons, the IMMs have not been unheard of in granting additional skills and talents.

Races in Armageddon are strictly Armageddonish. They cannot be called anything.

Now, assuming that you have looked over the game, tried it, and still do not like it, you might try Harshlands. They have a decent game and it is also RP enforced. Their code is very good, as well. For me, it simply lacks the excitement of Armageddon, but their players tend to think differently. Humans go by a different name there I believe, as a race, but you can still create a character with the word 'man' in the short desc. There is no elf or dwarf there, as far as I know. They also have no classes.

Given that Armageddon does not satisfy you, you might give Harshlands a try, assuming that you only wish to play MUDs which have coded skills. In any RP required game, you can assume that you will need to read a goodly amount of documentation. It is essential for proper comprehension of the world you will be spending your life in.
Venomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:05 PM   #9
Raith

Old 03-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
Jazuela

Uh, okay you obviously haven't read any of the documentation of Armageddon then. Armageddon is not medieval fantasy. Not even close, not even remotely, not in the slightest. It has nothing to do with medieval fantasy in any way, shape, or form.

As for unique, heh - I've seen games that have "unique" races, which are just elves and dwarves with different names attached to them.

If hairless dwarves who are -not- grumpy miners, who live by their "focus" doesn't fit the description of "unique," I don't know what does.

If elves that are split up into two different types - desert and city - who are -ALL- thieves who take pride in the "art" of their thievery, who are distrusted by the entire populous of the world including most of their own brethren isn't "unique," I don't know what is.

Just because it's called an "elf" doesn't mean it has anything to do with the elves of so-called "high" fantasy or "traditional" fantasy. Oh and we have halflings too - but they're not hobbits. They're nasty viscious vile little creatures that eat what they kill, and sometimes eat before they kill. If that isn't "unique" I don't know what is.

We don't have trolls or orcs or hobgoblins or kobolds..the Armageddon world has nothing to do with any of that kind of thing.

Honestly, if you don't want to play Armageddon or give it a try, that's fine. But please try to base your preference on actual information rather than assumptions which you haven't even bothered to confirm.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:06 PM   #11
Raith

I have made it perfectly clear, twice, that I did not want to play Armageddon. Yes, I have read up all I needed to read on Armageddon, and it has a fairly unique post-apocolyptic theme, but nothing jaw-droppingly original. Also, I had also found out that Armageddon wasn't classless like I preferred which already eliminated it. Furthermore, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned anything else about Armageddon, because I'm really not that interested in it. However, you are, and you are making it your mission to defend it to the last soul when it's not even necessary. Another thing, there are some games with original races that aren't elves/dwarves in disguise. I know of some that are open, and I know of some that are in development. Bottom line, I made it clear earlier that I didn't want to play Armageddon, not because it's some poor and pathetic game, but merely because I just don't like it. So, please, it's unecessary to mention it anymore.

-- Thank you
Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #12
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
You should give game a try.  From everything I have seen it fits all your criteria and might be just what you are looking for.
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:52 AM   #13
Letrus Abbot

Letrus Abbot is on a distinguished road
The Eternal City fits your criterion decently.

Completely original Roman-themed fantasy, nothing resembling 'dwarves or elves'. No commonly available magic. Rp from political intrigue all the way down to the filthiest of scumbags.

No traditional class/level system, many of the more important and powerful characters have very limited 'mechanical' skills.

Systems in place to prevent exessive 'twinking' and make training and character improvement a gradual advancement.

Newbie experiences are varied, however. My experience has been that you get back as much as you''re willing to put out.

Might not be for you, but at least worth a look.

Letrus Abbot is offline   Reply With Quote

I A lonely nomad - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From The Mind Of A Wander Nomad! TheDemonMaster Introduce Yourself 4 07-03-2004 11:15 PM
Lonely... Dionae Tavern of the Blue Hand 13 04-24-2002 12:48 AM