Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

View Poll Results: Which mud client do you primarily use
MUSHclient 30 28.85%
zMUD/cMUD 22 21.15%
Portal 4 3.85%
RoAClient 3 2.88%
Gmud 7 6.73%
Mudmaster 2 1.92%
SimpleMU 3 2.88%
Pueblo 0 0%
Telnet 6 5.77%
None of the above (please post below which one) 27 25.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
Fiendish

Fiendish is on a distinguished road
Re: The mud client poll

The Atlantis website appears to have been just about completely inactive for the past few months. I hope that development hasn't stopped, but, if it has, other more full-featured clients will work in OS X on an Intel Mac through WINE or in a virtual machine.
Fiendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #22
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough

It's more like calling a help desk, you'll find that in 90% of the cases the guy on the other side is either stupid, or thinks that you are stupid..
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #23
Fiendish

Fiendish is on a distinguished road

Typically when one calls a help desk it's because there is an expectation that the person at the help desk knows more or has better resources available. I fail to see where you're going with this, however. To what does "It" refer?
Fiendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #24
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road

While it's certainly possible that Sparks might have to stop development on Atlantis at some point, doing so without making a very clear announcement would be quite a bit out of character. Also, a quick look at the Atlantis/Riverdark forums doesn't show abnormal "inactivity." It was six months from the last version to this most recent (June) one, so I think four months without a release shouldn't be much cause for worry.

However, if someone wants other Mac options, there's also Trebuchet. I don't like its user interface, but it may be alright for most. And, there's TinyFugue. Neither of those are clients I'd use, but at least neither of them require setting up and running WINE (talk about potentially flaky development) or a virtual machine. For that matter, someone could install Windows through BootCamp and running MUSHClient in Windows... but why go to all that trouble for text on a screen?
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #25
scandum

A universal OS X binary is available for tintin++ and quite a few Mac users have been very enthusiastic about it.

Haven't both Trebuchet and Tinyfugue been out of development for over a decade.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reminder about tintin++, but as far as the others - no, they haven't been out of development that long. It would be hard for software that runs on Mac OS X to be over a decade old, since that OS was not publicly released until 2001. Stuff from before then that has not been updated won't run on a Mac. That's the problem with Rapscallion, which says existed only in a "half-Carbonized" (i.e., rewritten for OS X) version when development was abandoned back in 2003.

Sourceforge gives the latest version of Trebuchet for MacOS as Dec 03 2005, and the latest version of TinyFugue is from Jan 14 07 for 5.0 beta 8 (I can't find the date for the 4.x stable version). It looks like tintin++ certainly has them beat as far as current updates, but I have used both and found that they work at least as recently as MacOS 10.4. Of course, even Savitar works, kind of; it just makes me sick to use an application with a GUI design that would have looked like ass on Windows 3.1.
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #27
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough

I use gMud for a whole host of untenable reasons:

1. It's free.
2. I started using it probably 15 years ago, and I'm a relentless creature of habit.
3. After playing a bajillion muds on it, all with macro sets, aliases, preset login output, etc, I'm too lazy to translate all that data from one client to another.
4. I used an older unsupported version of zMud for a while, and all the bells and whistles didn't do much more for my actual play experience than the act of taking up hard drive space.
5. I've found or created a hack or two for it that makes up for its dearth of font choices, and a few other shortcomings.
6. I can live without a pause feature in my scripting, although it IS a pain.
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #28
scandum

Most C programs written for Linux compile on OS X without too much trouble, even if over a decade old.

Trebuchet is indeed more recent than I thought. The 4.x stable version is from 1999, which I guess means that 5.x has been in beta for 9 years now. Maybe Hawkeye is going for a world record of some sort?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 AM   #29
Mugo

Mugo is on a distinguished road

Where is tintin on that list! I use it because it quick as heck and i run osX so I use x11 as a shell. 1 window = main, 2.window = tells/gsays/says/assosciation etc. (tail -f chat.txt) :P

Tintin is great because its quick and simple. If I want to edit my warrior I use my fav txt editor to edit warrior.tt and go to town. Save. #load warrior.tt = bingo .. no rebooting or any BS :P

My 3 cents!

Last edited by Mugo : 10-31-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Mugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #30
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno

It's just a MUD client poll, jeez.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #31
Violette

Hmm sorry! I was going by the most mainstream mud clients, but totally forgot about TinTin. Forgot about the Mac clients too. And I guess no one uses 'telnet' really unless they're forced to. Darn, there's no way to edit that poll.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #32
Mugo

Its ok. Don't worry .. we all know that Telnet is the way of the future! *duck
Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I use something called SecureCRT to log on to the shell, and then I use the shell to log on to the Mud.
It isn't a Mudclient, but it's good for building, which is basically all that interests me.

To tell the truth, I never used a Mudclient in my life.
I used to mud with plain telnet back in the old days. I used to have a crappy and really expensive dial-up connection back then too.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #34
Mugo

Yeah, shell programs are all you need for building. Putty, Secure CRT, X11 (for mac) .. I actually run tintin using multiple x11 windows.

Was actually quite useful on multi-play day on my fav mud. See screenshot :P

Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #35
Kaltez

Kaltez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kaltez

I play using JMC(Jaba Mud Client). I used GMud when I first began MUDing but moved into JMC because of the neat little scripts you can create with it. ZMud has some nice script properties but was just too confusing and too much to go through. Also, it seemed odd that JMC wasn't even listed and yet telnet was lol. Okay, maybe not odd just a little funny IMO.
Kaltez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #36
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno

Never heard of a JMC, so I took a look.

Is it lacking on a lot of features, or did I miss them? Aliases? Multiple worlds open? Triggers?
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #37
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road

Zeno,

It looks like you missed something. The original (Runglish) help files for JMC are a pain to read; Jaba was (and is) a brilliant programmer but not a native English speaker (to say the least).

Certainly, JMC has aliases and triggers (the latter are called #actions). In fact, it was developed to be fully compatible with tintin++ and that was one of the reasons I choosed JMC when switching from a Unix station to a Windows box. Further on, JMC was the very first client to implement some powerful features (e.g. active scripting).

Jaba retired several years ago and opened the source code for the client. However, there are other groups of developers that keep working on JMC. You may have a look at:

P.S. Just as a historical fact, Jaba was an active player in ArcticMUD in ~1996-2003. Back at that time, other clients were lacking many important features and JMC was originally written just as a powerful client for personal use. I remember at least 2 or 3 other ArcticMUD players who also implemented their own clients, but unlike JMC, those applications were never made public domain and remained unknown to the MUD community.
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #38
Vardigon

Vardigon is on a distinguished road

I use tintin++. It works most of the time. Although I hate when #split messes up sometimes.
Vardigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #39
SlothMUD

SlothMUD is on a distinguished road

Wintin95 and the newest version Wintin.NET are used by at least 50% of our player base. Of course one of our creators was the developer but .net has everything a person could want from a client!

SlothMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #40
Hyena

Hyena is on a distinguished road

I use jmc - jaba mud client. I have tried zmud and tintin++ but jmc is the ****! Btw I didn't know that jmc 3.5 exists! I was using 3.26 all the time. I am very curious about the fact that jmc is open source because I might be wanting to write a couple of modifications for it
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote