Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Wroat

Wroat is on a distinguished road
Brand new to MUDs

Hi everyone, I'm absolutely fresh out-of-the-bag new to MUDs. I tried MUDs a couple of years ago (on TelNet!), and never understood it. My researching skills have greatly evolved since then, and I found a really newbie-friendly MUD that has captured me.

I'm part of the "young generation" and came from yes, those graphically-beautiful MMORPGs that suck you in (in a horrible way). I've always been a fan of the basic character-creation/stat-dependent RPGs, and because MMOs were getting so bad, I looked to Single-Player RPGs, which were too expensive and too advanced for my computer, and then traveled back in time, eventually chancing upon MUDs.

I'm pretty excited about it. I've always liked reading and gaming as two separate parts of my life, but MUDs are bringing those together in the best way. I still don't know anything, though, with these commands instead of hotkeys, and paragraph descriptions in every room, and the functions I don't understand in MUSHclient. I hope to stick around long enough to understand though, as long as MUDs do.
Wroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road
Re: Brand new to MUDs

Welcome aboard. Don't get too frustated with your MUD client. I have been playing MUD's for almost 20 years and I still do not understand how to use all the fancy features. My skills are as basic as they come. If MUSHclient is giving you trouble you can always try a different one.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Wroat,

You may want to give Alter Aeon a try; we have a custom client with a little bit of graphical support that can help make the transition from graphical MMO easier. It's nice being able to walk around using the keypad and see a map of how things are laid out.

If you're interested, you can get the client at our page.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road

Welcome Wroat! I too was just a lonely youth that happened to sit down in a computer lab next to someone laughing at what looked like a lot of scrolling diagnostic text. Fast forward 12 years (has it been THAT long?!?) and now I program one of the damn things.

MUDding is a great hobby, and that combination of imagination, writing and achievement is unparalleled compared to any other game out there. So enjoy! And if you find yourself unsatisfied with your current MUD, or wish to check out a change in scenery or just drop by for a chat, feel free to come visit -

Cheers!
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae

Holy crap, it's been 12 years since I started mudding too. Damn, I feel old! Though I did take a few years off, but I missed it and got sucked back in, hehe. Welcome to the addicting world of mudding.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Will

Will is on a distinguished road

i played my first online game in 1986. I don't wanna hear it.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Brand new to MUDs

You can make commands into hotkeys on many muds using a command called alias.

alias c=get all from corpse for example. Just use your mud client to assign "c" to some function key and presto hotkey.

Paragraph descriptions: Most muds offer the commands brief and verbose to switch between seeing the long descriptions. brief them if you find them too distracting. Many muds have no useful info there anyways. Mind you, on some you will need to read the long at least once to get vital information.

As far as mushclient goes I'll leave that to someone who knows it, I use PowTTY/Powwow myself.

And welcome to the MUD life!
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello Wroat!

What a refreshing story and welcome to the Text phenomena which is MUDs. I too started Text games and came directly from Graphic Games...only it was 15 years ago heh heh. I came from the fathers of WoW and Halo namely Ultima Online, Meridian 59, and DOOM. I too loved the mouse and graphics and sound but when I found true Roleplaying I learned the commands.

It was VERY odd to play text at first, but the roleplaying is what hooked me and I never looked back. Now adays there are numerous clients with mouse commands, macros, aliases, pseudo graphics that can assist you like CMUD one of the better clients and others.

Good Luck and have fun!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Wroat

Wroat is on a distinguished road

A thank you for the welcome and the recommendations. I'm definitely checking out as many MUDs as I can, trying to get exposed and starting to understand more.
Wroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road

Hey, you made me feel younger. That's when I was born!

I played my first MUD sometime around 1994.
Yes, I was 8. My Mom supervised >.>
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Odd Raven

Home MUD: Arantha
Odd Raven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odd Raven

Why, hello there, Wroat.

All of these fine people are encouraging you to MUD and welcoming you to their addictions. Get out while you can, Wroat, lest you be lost like the rest of us. My first MUD, I played for a month. The second, ten years. The most recent I've been playing for a few months now and basking in it quite a bit.

If you can't escape and are, indeed, hopelessly lost as it stands: welcome to the club.
Odd Raven is offline   Reply With Quote