Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 10-03-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
Could we do for descriptions what Whitney did for machinery?

1) Every creature is essentially composed of a set of parts from a predictable, larger set: abdomen, neck, head, arms, legs, wings, horns, hair, hands, tail, etc.  An amorphous blob could at least be said to have a body.  A walking tree could be said to have legs (roots), arms (branches), abdomen and maybe a head (face).  A snake has a head, neck, abdomen, and tail.  Mud creators have already developed this concept somewhat by distributing damage to particular parts of the body rather than to the body as a whole.

2) Descriptions are easier to follow if they follow some sort of logical progression (often from most obvious to least obvious and, related to that, from top to bottom).  This progression is also fairly predictable.  It generally goes from part of the body to part of the body, starting with the head and descending, often with the addition of an indicator of general size and/or color near the beginning and a conclusive statement of how the character looks overall near the end.

What I'm thinking, then, is that instead of taking you to a blank editor, the "description" command could take you to a series of description editors for each body part, one by one in the predicted order, with the option of skipping those parts that are uninteresting.  Parts that a particular character can't have would be automatically removed from the series, since they will have already chosen their race and whatnot.

The most widly applicable benefit of this is that it would likely improve the quality of the average description in the game.  A series of questions will encourage a more detailed description than a single question.  Furthermore, the standardized progression will make it easier to quickly figure out what a character.  True, it would slightly restrict the freedom of your better description writers, but only in terms the progression.  And if they are so creative, they should be able to work around that much.

Also, a player could 'look eyes Timaki' or 'examin arm Gwendolyn' to get specific information, rather than rereading an entire description.  For those creative description writers, you might even allow them to create longer versions of each body part description for when the part is examined closely.

But the most interesting benefit, IMO, is that you could have interchangeable body parts that maintain an individualized description.  You could look at the severed arm on the ground and see something other than "A severed arm lies here in the dirt."  A knowledgeable player could possibly tell WHOSE arm it is, or at least what race of creature it came from.  With the help of a good healer and some shady dealings, a player could possibly buy himself some wings or new arm to replace his severed one or whatever.  Rather than simply raising zombies as is, necromancers could build them to their own aesthetic or mechanical specifications.  This would also make coding more flexible for shapeshifter, transmuter, and (some) psionicist classes.  Rather than 'shift wolf' a shapeshifter could 'shift wolf head'.  Rather than spending 50 mana to reinforce their entire body's cells, a psionicist could use 30 in total mana to concentrate on their head, abdomen, and arms.

Anyhow, I've seen some muds that ask multiple-choice questions about eye and hair color.  And I've mentioned muds that distribute damage to particular body parts.  So I wonder if maybe they were originally thinking along the same thoughts as I but ran into problems or something.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
So you are talking about a dynamic Description for the character?

Instead of having players type up a description of the player themselves just have the system determine it by what they are wearing/have adjusted on themselves.

If your characters are into tattos then have a tatto shop where they can buy tattos and then add a tatto slot on the player and draw the description from there.

This is how I imagine my system working, it is rather similiar to one that has been discussed by KaVir rather often...

You see a (sex)(race) in front of you. (he/she) has (color) hair, (color) eyes, and is looking (mood). (name) is wearing; (equipment/clothes check). (weapon Description).

So it would translate into something like this:

You see a male human in front of you. He has blonde hair, blye eyes and is looking surprised. Ashon is wearing a hat, a tan colored jacket, blue jeans, and brown shoes. Strapped to his waist is a sheathe with a long weapon in it.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 12:00 PM   #4
Seronis

Seronis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seronis
Hmm making them write descriptions for every body part?  Now *I* for one think this is almost rediculous.  A players _race_ is what will determine these body parts so you should leave it up to your race object fill in default descriptions of what a player generally looks like.  If i'm looking at an elf the description should not mention that his ears are pointed unless i specifically look at the ears.   ALL elves ears are pointed.   Even if i _do_ look at his ears the only thing it should return as a description would be mentioning jewelry or such.

The way i see it is if every player has to have these 'extra' descriptions you are wasting a lot of memory by having it mandatory.  Also to simplify your look code you might want to do

>look <target>  <bodypart>

That way you can have any such 'extra' descriptions just in a linked list of description objects much like diku does for rooms.  This will also keep

>look ear

from looking at the set of earrings on the ground rather at bob the elfs ear.
Seronis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 01:17 AM   #5
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote

Body Parts and Descriptions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dynamic Descriptions Sidmouth MUD Builders and Areas 13 09-17-2003 04:23 AM