Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #161
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

And you would be wrong. I simply responded to a thread where I would have posted a rebuttal two weeks ago if other stuff hadn't distracted me.

Take care,

Jason
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #162
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

Whatever dude. Nobody checks every forums they post on every single day. Well, not me and probably not prof. You're the reason I don't want people using RPI to label their muds.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #163
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Pfffft,

It is more likely that RPI has now been tagged as something most would keep clear of because of this thread and the lameness thereof. Even labling yourself as RPI I think now has a bad taste to it. NW, is not an RPI it is an IRP.

Get it right.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #164
Delerak

Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak

It doesn't matter what it is. It's the fact that you're trying to "one-up" those muds who came up with a completely new term and system for mudding. Regardless of all the bantering that has gone on, your side will always look worse then ours because we at least have the decency to try and talk things out, no matter how arrogant I seem, I'm willing to listen to reason, but you guys just want to cry and whine about each and every single word that gets used without any real concrete arguements except that "We have intensive roleplay too." which means nothing since roleplay intensive mud never made reference that you don't, we just have features that force a more intensive roleplaying environment.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #165
obit

Home MUD: telnet://we-dont.gotdns.org:1701
obit is on a distinguished road

Yes, well FARTSMOGs are the future of text-based gaming, like it or not. :)
Old 04-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #166
Delerak

Yes it is.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #167
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Again, that is a supposition and a poor one Delerak and the basis for disagreement with you. There is no proof, fact, or even fiction that dictates any of your features result in a "more intensive roleplaying environment."

All of your features and your claim to RPI is entirely subjective. The only thing RBM/MUSHI/RPI/ARP/ says for you is "we're different, we have these 10 (or 20) features other muds do not. That's it. Stop pretending that it means more than just that.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #168
Voidrider

Voidrider is on a distinguished road

Although it isn't about text-based online games, I had to laugh when I recently saw that a new label has surfaced on a website dedicated to role-playing in the upcoming Age of Conan mmo called "serious" rp.

Apparently, it isn't enough for there to be RP-oriented guilds in the game and some are calling themselves Serious RP clans. It kinda makes me want to make a clan called "Clowns" and have everyone take silly names but still RP their characters (but, yeah, I know that would be griefing, which, of course, makes it even more funny - a bunch of clowns "griefing" :P).

Ah, the process of labelling, gotta love it.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #169
Newworlds
Legend

Bahahaha. Classic.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #170
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Since you guys insist on resurrecting this thread, and continuing to try and jam your personal preferences and elitism down everyone else's throat, I felt it was important to quote the best post so far yet on this issue:

Owned.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #171
Delerak

You just proved my and everyone elses point..
Old 04-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #172
Newworlds
Legend

The IRP Mud Ring is now accepting applications.

If you wish your mud to be listed as a member of the Intensive Role Play (IRP) Mud Ring, please mail send a private message to newworlds.

Thank you and good day!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #173
Delerak

Ridiculous.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #174
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road

Not ridiculous. If we can draw a distinction between IRP and RPI and everyone is happy, it's wonderful.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #175
Delerak

If in fact that's the goal, but I don't think it is. If we can all decide that RPI = A set of features that mud users want and IRP = The quality of roleplay that a mud thinks it has. Then so be it. But until people can admit that the adjective use of Intensive is not in regards to the roleplay but moreover at this point in regards to the set of features that a mud has, that won't happen.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #176

newbie is on a distinguished road

The problem dosen't arise with our definition of RPI, but with the common concept of what RPI stands for to the majority of mud players and before entering this discussion I was of the opinon that IRP and RPI meant the same thing.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #177
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

That's what spawned this entire discussion in the first place. A player posted requesting that he wanted an RPI and listed a bunch of features he was looking for. He got flamed for thinking that those features were an RPI. He simply thought that he was requesting a mud where the roleplay was intensive (I'm guessing strictly enforced) and thought that's what RPI stood for. I spent a lot of time thinking RPI stood for the same thing as well but simply never bothered to tack it onto our mud simply because I thought it was just the newest trendy acronym.

Once this discussion dies off, a bunch of players will simply go back to thinking that RPI stands for roleplay intensive mud, and I'm sure this will crop up again, especially with the rather vague definition of RPI that still exists for any site that sports the tag.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #178
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to see IRP become a more prevailant acronym, as it solves the problem of people feeling like they're cut off from a phrase they feel expresses what they do, while allowing RPI's to continue to call themselves RPI. Again, I don't care what they're called as long as they are called something and I can find them, and in one glance exclude anything that doesn't have the features I need in order to have a satisfactory mudding experience.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #179
Newworlds
Legend

Join the IRP Mud Ring. It is really the true designation for Intensive Roleplaying Muds and those in the Mud Ring will work to keep the acronym alive and well.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #180
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

I've no interest in any games like yours. If you include your own game in the category of IRP, then I definitely am NOT looking for an IRP. I'm looking for something that fits similar criteria of what Fifi is looking for, what Delerak has outlined, what several of us have attempted to describe. Come up with a name for that category, exclude yourself from it, and let me know when the name is ready for people to use.
Closed Thread