Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD and RPG Webmasters
Click here to Register

Old 08-31-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Persnickity

Persnickity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Persnickity
I have just opened a mud related site which offers listings to free-to-play muds. I have a question for those of you who have websites.

How long does it take, on average, to get traffic flowing through your web site? Do you have any suggestions for increasing visits and/or users of a website? At what point do you give up and throw in the towel?

I've already listed with the major search engines. Promoted the site on various other mud-related websites and message boards. The site is at the three week mark. The first week and a half there were quite a few new muds listed. After that there have been none. Is it time to give up and close the site, or should I wait a bit?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Persnickity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Common mistake people make is to give up. Nothing works on the first try, it takes time.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
bassy

bassy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to bassy Send a message via AIM to bassy Send a message via MSN to bassy Send a message via Yahoo to bassy
bassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Toraux

Toraux is on a distinguished road
Toraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Naked women usually generate traffic.

Just kidding.

The only thing you really can do is to hang in there or compromise the integrity of your site by widening the appeal. I recommend the former since the latter essentially destroys the purpose of your site.

Word of mouth is a powerful tool and finding an audience where it was presently not known to exist is another. Try posting on forums that might have potentially-interested players but not necessarily those familiar to MUDs to begin with. Role-playing or gaming forums are one such possibility. If you have any semblence of a budget, try advertising on sites that offer it.

Good luck and take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Toraux

Toraux is on a distinguished road
Or improvise and put Naked women in your meta-tags!
Toraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Persnickity

Yes games in development can be listed. The only requirements that I have are that the game be free-to-play, follow licensure requirements and give no in-game benefits for donations.

Thanks for the support. I'll stick it out a bit longer and keep fishing around for forums to promote the site on. There is no advertising budget really since the site itself does not allow advertising--very low overhead for right now.

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
Rathik

Rathik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rathik
I think there is only a demand for so many mud listing sites..when the number of sites exceeds the demand, then you are going to have to get creative and do something better or different than what the dozens of other mud listing sites are doing. From my player's perspective, your site doesn't have anything to offer that I can't find better at TMS or TMC. Things like the ability to search for MUDs by different criteria (alphabetically, RP or not, PK or not, etc.) Otherwise it's like playing Russian Roulette with my time by picking random muds that likely will not be my cup of tea. I can give you several ideas that you may or may not want to use if you want to pm/email me.

Anyway, don't give up. It's only been three weeks, and personally I would check weekly stats for up to 6, 9, 12 months to see how you do in visitors.

Word-of-mouth is usually the best advertising, but to start off with, it will mostly be your mouth. Share with your friends, post in mud forums, even webmaster forums ("how can I improve my website" "how can I increase traffic" etc) will help get traffic, and likely you will get several that may bookmark it.

If you are looking to add listings, why not contact muds directly by email? Most mud admins will realize that any free advertising helps their mud, so it's a win-win situation.
Rathik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:08 AM   #9
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
What Rathik said is true, you do need to offer something that the others don't. Take a look at how TMC does submitions and searching, then improve upon it. I think they have the most "options" for mud admin to fill in so players can search for something specific. Look on TMS/TMC forums and you can find quite a few "feature request" threads, take some of those ideas that the bigger sites didn't.

You've got to make yourself stand out a bit more, saying "no ads" and "no for-profit games" isn't enough to draw players to it, as quite often they can filter those out(to a point) on these sites.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
Persnickity

You know, you're right. I can't compete with sites like TMS, TMC, Mud Slide, Mud Bytes, or Mudmagic. I don't have the overhead or the knowhow to create a site of that caliber. I guess it's time to put my efforts into what I want to do most and that would be my education. I've decided to close Mud Wire.

Thanks for pointing those things out.

getting traffic and visibility for a website - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Medievia Website! Soleil Advertising for Players 0 08-13-2005 06:58 PM
Lusternia Website! the_logos Advertising for Players 29 10-15-2004 01:12 AM
New ROE website unveiled! Brody MUD Announcements 1 10-13-2004 05:51 PM
Copying a website Xorith Legal Issues 18 05-07-2004 05:57 AM
God Wars II website KaVir MUD Announcements 3 04-23-2002 09:09 PM