Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 01-11-2004, 08:27 PM   #1
Blade

Blade is on a distinguished road
I am currently looking for some awesome RP enforced muds. I have tried out several, but none have fit my tastes. I am not a fan of DIKU/ROM/SMAUG code bases, unless HIGHLY reconstructed. Please feel free to advertise your mud here only if it RP is required. Thanks.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Mercan

Mercan is on a distinguished road
Are you interested in MUD's only? Because there is a lot of other good MU*'s out there, some of which are a lot more RP intensive than straight MUD's. Of course, they often rely on less coded features and more pose or emote based rp supplemented with a few coded systems.

Also what kind of theme are you looking for? Medieval Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Futuristic fantasy, something based on a book, film, or movie?
Mercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:57 AM   #3
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
If you're looking for RP-enforced MUDs, I highly recommend Harshlands and Shadows of Isildur. Both are DIKU-derivitives, but there's less of the original DIKU there than there is unaltered features on Michael Jackson's face.

prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:21 AM   #4
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Carrion Fields is RP-enforced, and 100% free to play.  Our most recent ad is .
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
If you are looking for *strictly* RP text games, you'll probably want to go the MUSH route rather than the MUD route. A typical MUSH will have no significant coded commands/skills/whatever at all, but rather you will emote or pose pretty much everything. I've never played one, but I can't say the idea appeals to me. I like coded skills that can improve over time and with effort.

If you're looking, instead, for games that have coded skills and other coded commands, but where roleplaying is required and expected and enforced, I would add Armageddon to the list of those already mentioned in the above posts.

It is a Diku-derived codebased, but extremely modified and in some parts completely gutted and rewritten. It is a harsh desert post-apocalyptic genre, without a bunch of wizards casting magic missile on mobs or anything like that. In fact the spell magic missile doesn't even exist, and magickers are considered suspect in some parts of the game world, and evil in other parts.

You won't find many "socials" or "verbs" in Armageddon, because the emoting system is so well-created that you can personalize your character's interaction with the game world much more efficiently than any social can possibly provide. Other games have similar systems, but Armageddon's seems to be the most complete I've experienced so far.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
CandidatusLupus

CandidatusLupus is on a distinguished road
You might want to give Accursed Lands a try if you already havn't. It's RP-enforced.

Port 8000
CandidatusLupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:17 AM   #7
Vateska

Vateska is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I would highly suggest examining if you haven't done so already. While I can't tell you from personal experience that Chiaroscuro is "awesome" I can tell you that another of Brody's three games, OtherSpace, most definitely is awesome. The staff and players have been hard at work making these three stories come to life, as you can see from some of the posted RP logs.

Chiaroscuro is probably your best bet if you want a MUD-like variety of coded systems. It, like the other games, is RP enforced. (That's not so much an admin-controlled thing as it is other players nudging you into keeping up your end of the story.) The setting is an original fantasy. (No orcs or smurfs)

Reach of the Empire is set in a dangerous and exciting branch off of the Star Wars universe.

OtherSpace, the oldest of the three games, is not much like a MUD at all, and so perhaps not to your tastes. But I'd still highly recommend trying it. OS is a completely original universe, generally science fiction but with elements of any other style you can think of. The OOC environment is friendly and the storytelling is awesome.
Vateska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
The Vorpal Tribble

The Vorpal Tribble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Vorpal Tribble
The Vorpal Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
lumikant

lumikant is on a distinguished road
I run a mu* called the Twilight Reconquista. Its the closest you can get to a mush without having to type +pleasejustletmegonorthorimgoingtoblowmybrainsout every time you want to move. We don't have any mobs or kill that and bring that back quests. We have storytellers that run npcs and gripping storylines. We have an average of 8-16 players on, giving you plenty of chances to roleplay, and our world is completely open ended, unlike most muds. Want to break into a house? Just use the request channel, and a storyteller will handle the rolls for you. We use White Wolf's Dark Ages setting and support Vampires, Garou and Inquisitors, as well as normal mortals. Our website is so check it out, and see what you think
lumikant is offline   Reply With Quote

Strictly RPing Muds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old muds makila Tavern of the Blue Hand 13 06-08-2012 05:13 AM
Looking for RP MUDs Almondine War Advertising for Players 13 10-22-2005 02:07 PM
Top 20 muds Cayn Tavern of the Blue Hand 141 08-25-2004 12:30 PM
Any Muds? Asalyt Advertising for Players 6 03-10-2004 09:10 PM
RP Muds.....again Realedazed Advertising for Players 3 08-14-2003 10:43 AM