Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 05-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #1
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

Greetings,

For the past six or so years I've been working on a mud codebase.  Much of this time coincided with learning to program, so you can probably guess that it wasn't always crafted with exceptional skill.  I realized this many times, and rewrote the base from the ground up three times.

I wish to share some of the experience I've gained from mud codebase design, in hopes that many coders will avoid the mistakes that I made.  To this end, I'll be releasing the (hopefully? =)) final rewrite of the codebase in stages as they are completed.  These stages should coincide with the major areas of a mud's featureset, providing a good starting-off point for people that want to write their own codebases and games from scratch without having to worry about their foundation.  All code is completely public domain, so there should be no conflicts of interest.

Written using sound object-oriented techniques, the base is oriented towards extendability and robustness.  The language used is C++, and the primary development platform is a FreeBSD machine, so there is no Windows port available at the moment.

Version 0.1, released a few weeks ago, is a barebones talker.  It dumps all connected users into a common chatroom.  This is the perfect release for one that wishes to write a codebase from scratch, but doesn't want to worry about all that icky socket stuff.

Version 0.2., released just yesterday, is a much more fully-featured chatting environment.  It has a nodal chat system similar to IRC.  Of much more interest are the subsystems used to create this environment: A basic object subsystem as well as an extensible method of linking objects lay beneath each node, and rudimentary commands affect the world.

Downloads are available for all releases on the Deus section of the : .
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote

The Deus codebase - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
d20 Codebase caspin00 MUD Coding 8 04-29-2004 04:31 PM
Looking for a particular codebase... Scrod Fungus MUD Coding 4 02-11-2004 07:43 PM
An age-old codebase Delerak MUD Coding 14 08-19-2003 08:07 PM
Looking for Codebase Khadgar MUD Coding 1 08-16-2003 01:25 PM
SWR Codebase:Help Metathran Elf MUD Builders and Areas 1 07-19-2002 10:17 AM