Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
TMichael

TMichael is on a distinguished road
Post GDT Ratings & Reviews -- Now Live

Hi Folks!

I recently launched a website which houses a library of game development resources. While most of the information found there won't apply to MUDs, I do have a listing of MUD engines (54 so far, including 2 MUD resource sites).

I would like the list to be as complete as possible, so submissions are certainly welcome! I hope MUD developers and community members will find this useful. The official update announcement below:

The Ratings & Reviews system is now live! Please stop by and rate your favorite books, engines, libraries, and other tools.

At the heart of the new system is the , which is calculated using both the average rating and product popularity. Read more about the Total Score .

A number of other features have been added since launch. Highlights:

- The database now includes more than 2000 books, engines, libraries, and other tools
- There are now more categories in Engines/Libraries
- There is now a full directory option in Engines/Libraries
- Tools->Physics now has four categories
- Tools->File Management has expanded to eight categories
- Tools->Audio now has two categories
- Perl and JavaScript have been added to Books->Programming

About GameDeveloperTools.com:

GDT was created to provide a one-stop resource of available tools for game developers everywhere. While there are many great resources currently available, few are kept up to date, and nowhere can you browse every category in one place.

The website houses an ever-expanding database with links to more than 2000 books, engines, libraries, and other tools. Our goal is to be as comprehensive as possible, and in that vein I encourage visitors to contact us with submissions, corrections, suggestions, or questions.

Cheers,

Tim

A comprehensive library of game development resources
TMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
ScourgeX

Home MUD: Scourge of Time
ScourgeX is on a distinguished road
Re: GDT Ratings & Reviews -- Now Live

Although some would argue this is a good thing, I find it odd that DIKU/MERC/ROM are not listed (as far as I can tell).
Also, I wonder if you should have tbaMUD instead of Circle listed?
ScourgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
TMichael

Post Re: GDT Ratings & Reviews -- Now Live

Hi Scourge,

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get from the community to make this a better resource for you.

-DIKU/MERC/ROM: I probably just never found the specific links, or only found the links on the two MUD resource sites I listed. I'll research this through Google, but in the meantime, would you have any specific links?
-tbaMUD: I'll look this up and add it asap, thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

Thanks ScourgeX I'll take all the advertisement we can get :P
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
TMichael

Post Re: GDT Ratings & Reviews -- Now Live

ROM, tbaMUD, and the DikuMUD official site have all been added.

The MERC link I found was just a sublink from the DikuMUD site. Does MERC have its own site as well?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

I doubt it. Not anymore anyway. Merc's an incredibly dated codebase that isn't really used anymore. Other codebases derived from it are, just not it directly. The same goes for DIKU. I wish the same was true of CircleMUD, but...alas. Not that CircleMUD is bad. I also wouldn't suggest that all muds running it switch to tbaMUD because I understand how difficult transferring work from one codebase to another is. I would on the other hand suggest people starting new muds based on CircleMUD try out tbaMUD before starting their project. I've honestly never known anyone to try CircleMUD and tbaMUD and not find the latter to be the more solid codebase of the pair. I also don't claim to know of everyone who has ever downloaded tbaMUD and looked at it so I assuredly won't claim no one ever has, just that no one I know of first hand has.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote