Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #161
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Actually the flaming had pretty much stopped here until you came back.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #162
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Not my fault that Dulan, Molly, and company feel the need to flame me. Blame the source, not the target.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:24 PM   #163
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Dulan, you are SO not able to criticise people for trolling. Pot calling the kettle black, indeed.

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #164
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Absolutely.

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #165

Hey well there's always mud-dev.

Here's a serious professional sample of serious professionals discussing something...

"In order for any profession to mature, a profession-specific nomenclature has to develop that professionals can use to talk about profession-related topics intelligently and with sufficient specificity. For instance, if somebody says "mob" in the context of our profession, I know exactly what they're talking about, even though someone from outside our profession might be thinking "pitch forks and torches." If we haven't decided on a name for the things that our profession works on (something that would seem to be a fundamental building block for any such nomenclature), then it seems to me that further discussion. is warranted to at least come to some general consensus."

"I use the term "multi-user virtual world" IF the world is a prominent aspect of the system. I am not objecting to the term
"virtual worlds", after all I did argue for it while you still wanted some other term. I am objecting to over-extending it. There are other terms too, of course..."

"I would not have guessed the discussion of the effect of newbies would migrate into a debate on definitive minutiae and use of the term "virtual world." Without a more formal taxonomy and phylogeny of "virtual worlds" within a stronger committee-based context (ie. authorative society), the discussion can wander far, far away."

"Personally, I tend toward "virtual world" when pressed. I'd like to find something better -- "virtual" equates to "hopeful" or even
"nebulous" and "world" has grandiose connotations. Not good things when talking to skeptical investors, publishers, or potential partner/customers who don't know a mob from a noob."

Serious and professional. Did I say professional? You can watch professionals argue over the definition of MUD just like 14 year old n00bies for only the price of an email. No extra charge for the 11-letter professional sounding words. Serious professional high signal stuff with nary a mention of women's breasts and no farting. Well not a whole lot of fun either.

Exerpted and names ellided to avoid embarassing the professionals.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 PM   #166

Hey I noticed you don't have an avatar.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:04 AM   #167
the_logos
Legend

Yeah, unfortunately, mud-dev got hijacked by people purely interested in the largest possible commercial graphical MUDs possible quite awhile ago.

Terranova is not bad but again, they're focused almost exclusively on larger graphical worlds. I'm talking text MUDs only really.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:36 AM   #168
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
The_logos; Dec. 08 2004,03:46
If that is what you want, why was the forum you started yourself anything but 'open (ie anyone is welcome)'?

The_logos; Dec. 07 2004,18:21
Did it ever occur to you that YOU might actually be at fault yourself, ie the cause of the flaming starting?

For instance, my initial post to Soleil in this thread was pretty polite, especially compared to what other people wrote about Medievia. But you just had to take a potshot at me, didn't you?
Apparently that is a habit of yours that you aren't even aware of, since nothing is ever your fault.

I freely admit that you quite often annoy the heck out of me with your quite often smug posts. At least you could try to admit your part of the blame.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:31 AM   #169
Angie

Angie is on a distinguished road
Well, it's not like you're not allowed to discuss muds there. If none of us does, how is it their fault?
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #170
the_logos
Legend

Oh, it's not anyone's fault. It's just the way it is. The list is largely structured for professionals or wanna-be professionals, and most pros or wanna-be-pros are going to be looking at the graphical arena these days. There's also the issue of needing common experiences to discuss, and list participants are far more likely to have a common experience in CoH or WoW than in text MUDs, all of which are small by comparison.

--matt
Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM   #171
the_logos
Legend

I want a lot of things in life. I fail to see how wanting one of them precludes wanting another.

No. I challenge you to find a single post from me on TMS in, say, the last -year-, in which I attacked any specific person when that person didn't attack me or someone else first. Seriously, try to find one.

On the other hand, I can point to at least three places in this single thread alone where you attacked me or someone else, unprovoked. The first, when you bitched that we didn't want to essentially single-handedly pay to promote all text MUDs, may have been a legitimate mistake due to English being your second language, though given your record of constantly attacking me and Iron Realms, I'm inclined to believe that Threshold's assessment of the situation is likely correct.

On this page you attacked me for (I can barely contain my chuckling as I write this), not thanking people who made posts in a post of my own, and accusing me of only thanking those who offered financial help. The former is a mind-bogglingly stupid complaint, and the latter is a flat-out lie.

And, of course, you shunned Medievia after they offered assistance, accusing them of using other people's IP without permission while you sit back and use other people's IP without permission. Yes it was a pretty polite attack on Medievia but so what? If I politely suggest that you are <pick your insult>, does that mean I haven't attacked you? It was still an attack on Medievia, and I get tired of seeing them kicked around when so many other people break usage licenses to IP worth orders of magnitude more.

Hey, your posts irritate me all the time, but I don't flame you just because I don't like your attitude (I'm not even going to bring up what it is about your attitude that irritates me, as I have no doubt that would lead to more crap being posted.) If you choose to attack, be an adult and take the blame where it belongs: Squarely on yourself. You flame because you want to, as it's certainly not incumbent upon you to do so.

--matt
Old 12-09-2004, 04:06 AM   #172
wolfpaw

wolfpaw is on a distinguished road
wolfpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #173
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
*chuckle*

He calls for tolerance while using "gay" repeatedly as an epithet and insult.

I'm not sure what is worse: the bigotry or the hypocrisy.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #174
Threshold
Legend

[quote=Molly O'Hara,Dec. 08 2004,03:36]
Hahahaha.

You "politely" called her and her husband criminals?
Old 12-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #175

Hey you should know better than to post quest spoilers to the group. The only thing I need to know is whether anything you were drinking came out your nose and whether there was damage to the monitor. Just type 'score' at the prompt to see how you're doing. ;-)
Old 12-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #176
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
[quote= (Threshold @ Dec. 09 2004,18:08)]...or the complete inability to recognise blatant tongue-in-cheek?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #177
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Since when has anyone in the MUD Community been able to recognize tongue-in-cheek, KaVir?
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:31 PM   #178
Threshold
Legend

Sounds more like someone caught acting poorly and covering it up later by claiming it was an attempt at humor gone horribly wrong.

Ask some gay people you know (assuming you know any) if they find it funny or acceptable even in that context. Many of them won't.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #179
Pris

Pris is on a distinguished road
God, this is the thread that just wont die.

Please, please, please can you ****y little school children just let this #### thread fade away.

Pris
Pris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 AM   #180
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote

Text mud promotion to the outside world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legends of Karinth Staff Promotion: Muirdach Fern MUD Announcements 0 05-07-2006 07:20 PM
Legends of Karinth Staff Promotion: New Imp Fern MUD Announcements 0 06-01-2005 02:06 AM
Aesthetics in a Text Based World Raewyn MUD Administration 26 05-02-2005 07:17 PM
Mud Promotion Nightmare TheDemonMaster MUD Humor 8 07-07-2004 08:01 PM
Text editors for Rot 1.4 shade MUD Coding 0 10-02-2002 04:33 PM