Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 03-15-2004, 11:34 PM   #1
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
I personally wouldn't tolerate an atmosphere of discrimination based on sex, origin, race, sexual orientation, etc., but I haven't a clue what you mean when you ask "should the community tolerate" such a mud. What are you suggesting? Flaming muds for perceived discrimination and demanding they not be referred to or listed on TMS or other sites? Just curious.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:57 AM   #3
John

I was going to say "should such muds be allowed" but that would have obviously created the "muds are owned by private people, they can do whatever they want" so I changed it to "should such muds be tolerated." I'm not saying that the community should try to stop such mud from being listed on TMS, but instead I'm asking do people (a group of people are a community) find such muds tolerable.

I hope that expresses what I meant clearer. I deleted a few explanations to try to make it as clear as possible.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:57 AM   #4

What exactly do you mean by that?
Old 03-16-2004, 01:06 AM   #5

Oh.  Yes.  In fact I've even sought out muds that did specifically discriminate.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:10 AM   #6
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:26 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I think he's asking whether or not the mud community should discriminate against muds that discriminate...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
Discrimination is a seriously sad word used to exclude some particular category of person or preference for a thing and it really relates to degree in my opinion. I dislike ham but I cooked it for the holidays and I discriminate against anything that contains ham. I dislike cheaters and I openly discriminate against them anywhere I find them.

When it comes to comes to mudding, we're all equal in how we display on the monitor regardless of all those small-minded, silly labels the world places on us. It's how a person behaves and comports themselves that dictates how we respect them and that has to have the most weight on a case-by-case basis.

I've had players freak about "oh, player X is gay, let's beat him up" or things relative to color but I've managed to consign them to senseless oblivion before it became a contagion.

With so many muds in the world, I expect there are some discriminatory ones and I've not personally found one. It doesn't matter, I would hate them and I promise they would hate me.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a Thelemic Order of the Golden Dawn mud?
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:36 AM   #9
FrankyB

FrankyB is on a distinguished road
Discrimination is what muds are based on. You have racial cities, clans and in some places even equipment that can only be used by elves, dwarves or whoever. Surely this is discriminatory? How about muds that restrict marriage to monogamy - is that what you mean? I currently play one where there is no stigma to male characters who marry another male character but it is still a one-to-one thing.

Or do you mean harrasment based on a player's RL attributes? I would not stand for any kind of harrasment on my mud. Life's too short for that kind of stuff.

But then I guess you're not talking about in-character discrimination, are you?
FrankyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
How would the community of a game know who the player is, other than their IP address and possibly their city/state/country?

And even those can be masked.

Unless I went out and told people that I'm a Muslim homosexual trans-gender female quadraplegic black man, ain't nobody gonna know.

And if I really -was- such a thing, I probably wouldn't play a game that advertised itself as being against any or all of the above. But I don't know of any games that advertise themselves as such.

I know there are some christian-based muds out there, but I don't recall them ever mentioning that non-christians are not welcome to play. Only that the theme of the game is christian-based, and that non-christians might be welcome as long as they are prepared to accept this.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #11

Ah... like that Armegeddon mud in his .sig.  This may shock you, and I was stunned myself, but they actually discriminate against those who think roleplay is a bunch of crap.  They won't even tolerate non-roleplayers.  Should the *makes quote sign with fingers*mud community *makes quote sign with  fingers* tolerate them?

Note: I actually discriminate against people who do that *quote sign with fingers* thing when they talk.  But I'm learning to be more tolerant.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:28 AM   #12
Gemini

Gemini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gemini
people, i think your all looking to deep into this. They arent talking about discrimanting againt people who are trolls on a game(i get that all the time), or are bards, or whatever.
if someone says, on a global channel: "Death to all __ could be any derogitory term that might refer to black people, jews, homosexual people, or a million other things.
The immortal staff on my mud wont put up with that in any way, and I personally fully back them on that. but what do the rest of you think of that?
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:53 AM   #13

Death to all twinks, munchkins, and smurfs!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
And jaywalkers. Don't forget jaywakers.

I want to find a MUD that has a rule against Muslim homosexual trans-gender female quadraplegic black men, and then pretend to be one. That sounds hella fun. I have never actually encountered a MUD that discriminated in any official way against non-relevant RL information, though. How many of these are out there?
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #15
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Sorry pal, I already got the copyright on the whole Muslim trans-gender homosexual female quadraplegic black man thing. You can be my Jehovah's witness trans-gender bisexual male blind and deaf oriental girlfriend though if you want.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:47 PM   #16
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
It's all good. ^.^
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:21 PM   #17

There are loads of them.  You see there's this list of groups you can't  harrass and discriminate against.  If you're not on the list, you're fair game.  You'll know who is on the list by how many times they were listed as examples in this thread.  

I saw this thread despite the poster's claims to the contrary as a call to action, a trial balloon if you will, to see how many of you all are interested in CENSORING and SANCTIONING other's people's muds because of how they choose to run it.

It's a stupid thread.  I feel dirty now that I've participated on it.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:49 PM   #18
Gemini

Gemini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gemini
wow, this has gone horribly off topic and gotten horribly lame. this is a serious issue, care to stick with it, people?
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:17 PM   #19
Acies

Acies is on a distinguished road
How can a mud discriminate? there's no way I can tell what color/sex/age you are if everything is text? the only way I can tell is if you tell me, and for all I know you could be lieing. sure mudders can be rasists and such, but an entire mud can't discriminate.
Acies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:30 PM   #20
John

Should discrimination be allowed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Foreigners Allowed John MUD Administration 31 03-01-2004 05:18 PM