Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 07-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
rheassi

rheassi is on a distinguished road
Greetings!

It has been some time since I played a MUD. Years before graphical games were introduced I spent lots and lots of time mudding lol.

Recently I decided I wanted to try a MUD again hehe. Iam looking for suggestions for a MUD that will fit what Iam looking for.

1. No PK or restricted PK. I don't like to PK but don't care if the games has PK as long as I don't have to engage in it or be killed by another player without my consent.
2. A fantasy setting
3. Lots of class and races to chose from
4. A good newbie area to learn in but not the stock MUD school I keep running into as Ive tried muds. Its boreing!
5. Roleplaying encouraged.
6. Lots of quests and unique items.
7. Crafting, player houseing. Something that makes the game unique from others.
8. I acutally prefer a smaller populated mud.
9. Completely free muds. No pay for perks etc...
10 Lastly I like a unique combat system. I tend to almost always play casters so a good robust casting/spells system is a must.

I'd love to find a young new MUD. One that is developed enough to play but still expanding.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and links!!

Rheassi
rheassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Kyandra

Kyandra is on a distinguished road
While we do not meet all those criteria you list, you might try Avatar - . We are mostly original, have our own mudschool, have many races and classes available, some not available at startup, 3 tiers and thousands of unique rooms.

Good luck in your search and welcome back to mudding.
Kyandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #3
Luvan

Luvan is on a distinguished road
Clandestine Mud (clandestinemud.com:9476) and Adventures Unlimited (Tharel.net:5005) and Project bob (projectbob.game-host.org:4000) are three pretty solid games that seem to fit your requests very closely. Here are the ways they deviate from what you asked:

Bob has a better (at least I think)\ more enjoyable spellcasting and combat system, but does not have player housing. (at least at last check) It also has a pretty interesting quest system.

Adventures Unlimited is very top notch, with high quality areas and very well rounded gameplay in general, but the combat system is pretty much the usual. It does not bog the game down at all though, and fits in very well. Also unless there have been some major code changes since I have played, the main pure spellcasting class is mainly good as a support class. The cleric there is very solid power wise though.

Clandestine has a pretty fun combat system (mostly because of the massive amount of skills\spells you can acquire) but it is still the usual. Also clandestine's players online gets pretty high sometimes (around 50+? cannot remember exactly) which may not fit with your smaller pbase requirement.
Luvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Hi Rheassi, I would like to invite you to take a close look at Legends of Karinth. Let's skip right to the rundown!

1. PK is allowed, but only in certain areas. I have never ever seen PK that has not been agreed upon beforehand (ie. dueling). The staff take unfair or repeated PKing very seriously.

2. Karinth is a fantasy world with loose ties to Medieval Europe. We have many stories on the website to help set this scene, all original works.

3. We have a wide variety of races. We have no classes - if you can find a trainer for a certain skill, you can learn it. We do not believe in restricting the player to what the implementor thinks a "warrior" or "cleric" should have. In fact, we don't believe that people should be forced to characterise themselves as a certain class. It is more advantageous to select skills that complement each other, but if you want to have magic and healing and stealth and weapons, no one will stop you.

4. We have a custom built newcomer house which combines learning about the game, brief glimpses into what lies ahead in the world, and of course leveling. We also have a seperate area within it, for those who are new to mudding or to the ROM codebase. There are even little quests and brainteasers in the newcomer area itself, although those are of course optional.

5. Roleplaying is highly encouraged. If you have an idea for an event that your character would like to organise, or thoughts about a quest or anything like that, I will personally take the time to discuss it with you and help it to come about if at all possible. As well, you can gain experience through regular roleplay with other players. RP based societies such as guilds and clans are player founded and player run. They are created through character wealth and support, not because "the staff thinks that pirates are cool, so there's a pirate clan".

6. Every area has some kind of quest or brainteaser. Often more than one. You can also earn quest points through finding bugs and typos in the game, which can be exchanged for (among other things) re-strings of items.

7. Player designed and upkept societies (including player designed society/family halls). An ASCII map that moves with you in the wilderness. Flying mounts. Ships. Heck, take a look at the feature list on our website, I'm very confident that you'll spot more than one thing that you find interesting.

8. Playerbase maxes out at around 20 online during peak times. Many are very regular.

9. I promise you that you will never be asked to pay, or be offered an incentive for paying. All donations are free will, to help, and will never receive anything other than heartfelt thanks. I will sell my car before Karinth ever becomes a pay for perks mud, and I don't even own this place.

10. You design your own spells. Name it, choose what components (eg. healing, damage, armour, etc etc) go into your spell, choose how powerful each of them is, choose how long it lasts for... you have spells unique to you. As for melee combat, we have a whole range of stances and styles and special skills for your perusal and enjoyment.

11(?). Definitely developed enough to play (see features) and definitely still expanding rapidly (see news). We welcome you to be a part of that expansion.

See? I got 11/10, so check us out!
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
4 Dimensions would fit most of your requirements, if you can live with their Time Travel theme. At least one of their four worlds is Medieval fantasy, and that seems to be the largest one too.

As for quests, I've never seen funnier or better designed quests in any other Mud. Each of their zones has at least one built-in quest, often a dozen, ranging from very easy to extremely challenging, depending on the level of the zone. And their Quest Academy, which is part of their custom Mud School, is awesome, teaching you most of the tricks you need to get along in this pretty unique mud.

They also have a feature called Trading, where you can advance in the game without having to kill a single Mob. And naturally they have player housing, but not only that, you can also buy personalised servants, pets, mounts and vehicles, (for Questpoints, not RL money, this is a 100% free mud). Read more about this on the website,

The spellcasting classes fight barehanded, using orbs or staffs to focus their energy. And their remort system is pretty unique, allowing you to customize your character, while growing in strength for each remort.

It's not a new mud, but it is a constantly developing one, with a very active staff, and new code and zones are added on a regular basis.
4dimensions.org Port 6000
Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for  new MUD - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a MUD.  Yay... Translucent Tavern of the Blue Hand 8 05-17-2006 03:25 PM
Vote for Medievia!  or else..... betrayed.by.gods MUD Announcements 12 12-12-2005 01:18 PM
Mud Positions --====  HELP WANTED Advertising for Staff 0 07-20-2005 08:35 AM
Hey you!  Yes You!  We need YOU! Mouseglove Advertising for Players 0 02-07-2004 07:11 PM
Aagh!  My eyes! Burr Bugs and Suggestions 11 05-04-2002 08:57 PM