Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Adok

Adok is on a distinguished road
Searching for my next mud

Hi guys,

I've been on the search for some time now for a new mud to fill in the void of the old mud I use to play. I'm hoping someone might see this post and suggest something i'd be interested in. I've got a couple of other guys in the same situation.

Requirements:

- Level based (Don't mind grinding)
- Fun and encouraged grouping and group skills
- Group quests ect
- Pk (Open pk. Hunting ect.)
- A consistant and online Pbase
- I've played a rom based mud for about 10 years now, so I guess rom based preferred.
- No power hungry immortals
- Questing
- Large-ish map, plenty of exploring
- (might be a long shot but some muds have it) Random eq drops

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adok
Adok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Searching for my next mud

Threshold has all of the above except for the fact that Threshold is not ROM.

The emphasis on Threshold is on role playing, but the "monster bashing" part of the game is also highly developed. We have some extremely challenging quests as well. They are story based - they are not of the "kill 10 orcs" variety.

Check out our web site for more information:

Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Adok

Adok is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out
Adok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

If exploring and questing is your preference, you should check out 4 Dimensions.

We have most of the things you requested, except that our code base is Circle, but that usually doesn't present any problems, since there are helpfiles for almost anything. And in spite of the numerous features we offer, 4 Dimensions is 100% free, no hidden costs, no buying game advantages for RL money.

4D has a large, all original and detailed world - in fact we have 4 different worlds, since our theme is Time Travel. You'll never run out of things to explore in 4D, and to facilitate things, since we have so may zones, we also offer maps on our website of many of them.

We pride ourselves in our hundreds of Quests, which are built into the zones and vary from the very easy to the extremely hard. Most quests have an elaborate background story, which makes them entertaining as well as challenging. Our unique Quest Academy on top of our customized Mud School gives an introduction to the special brand of Questing in 4D, and there is also a system with Questcards, to give hints and info about many of the available Quests.

Our playerbase is a bit on the small side, especially during the summer low tide, but it's consistent, and there is usually someone on line around the clock.

PK is optional, but most of our players tend to go PK sooner or later. To protect the ones that prefer peaceful mudding, you can only attack another player if both have the PK flag.

Apart from the usual gameplay, we also offer a number of features that you don't find in many other Muds.

For instance you can try out our Gladiators, which gives everyone a chance to check what PK is like with a high level character, regardless of their own level.

Or our latest feature, which is presently being playtested; the Trainable Golems, that learn from fighting and rise in level, and which you can keep over logout, as long as you remember to deactivate them first.

A look at our website will give an idea of the numerous things we offer.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road

Heyas Adok, I'll answer from my own game's stats, see if it's a near fit .

Ansalon has 101 mortal levels.
Grouping is heavily encouraged, I think most of the FUN in mudding is when you get 4-5 guys and go beat down the mobs. To encourage grouping we actually give a bonus based on number of players in the group (not mobs, charmies don't count). Up to 2x exp bonus if you have 8+ in the group. (Also bonus for how many hours the MOB has survived 1%/hour up to 2x, and alignment vs yours, how many killed (standard ROM there heh), if you have more hours more exp etc).
Group quests are more an IMM run thing (staff), nothing coded for automated.
PK is pretty open, it's level restricted as level really counts in the game (+/- 7 levels to PK), NOPK characters aren't allowed to interfere or assist etc (code enforced so it just doesn't let it happen). Also no worrying about 'crap I got a 101 spellup and I'm 21 vs this 15, am I cheating? Um, no, you attack and your spells are too high, it simply pulls the ones that are OOL (out of level) range.
Pbase has fluctuated a bit over the years, usually 10-15 players on. At times 25-30 but it's been summer.
Ansalon started as Rom 2.4b2 in 96, thousands of changes, but one of my goals has always been to KEEP the core system. So that the game isn't 'man how the hell do I ____', but there are additional things you can do etc. More on that at:
We had a split in 2003, left the icky ones behind (that version has since folded and I think is just a dark smear now). Seriously though, that's as big of a concern as can be, so IMMs that act all that, usually lose the job in a hurry.
Vasago's with some mods, but qp and things to buy with it, grinding for items etc if you like.
About 15k original, a few stock areas left but we tend to convert or vape for 'in theme' areas.
Only off of the dead bodies of hapless... er, sorry. There are some mobs that randomly load an EQ item, and won't load that one again until next copyover. So that increases the rarity and fun. But usually not just 'insert random treasure' off mobs.

Anyway, hope it helps!
Dragonlance based, timeline is War of the Lance (DA not KOT if you're a fan). 12+ years and going strong.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Here's how NW stacks up.

Requirements:

Yes there are levels and skills.

Yes, group adventuring is HIGHLY encouraged and rewarded, from caravans to exploring, from fighting ten orcs, to mighty dragons. The guilds in the game are created to warrant a good mix of group adventuring like you would see in D&D.

- Group quests ect
All quests are integrated into the game so as you find out about them in your exploring versus in some drop down list. So quests can be handled singly or in groups and harder quests require groups.

Yes there is pk the only stipulation is that you have roleplay reasons to pk. We do not allow people to run around pking other players just because they think they can. (I say think because everything is roleplay integrated and you may or may not know how powerful your opponant is without being around them for some time.

Yes. Ranges from 60 to 100 constantly.

- I've played a rom based mud for about 10 years now, so I guess rom based preferred.
Our creation and playing system is very user friendly and enjoyable. Create a character and see for yourself.

There are no immortals in this game. Only Administration, Staff, and Guides to help new players.

- Questing
Yes, as described above.

There is a global map on the website and smaller map in game, but so far no player has seen every area and we've been publically open for over 4 years.

- (might be a long shot but some muds have it) Random eq drops
You will find this, but it is all roleplaying and in game integrated. So, you'd have to find out for yourself in the game how this works.

Based on many of the answers here you may have noticed that NW is a roleplaying game, which it is. We require players to stay in character at all times except on non character channels and in non character areas (places in the game wehre you can talk normally about things). Because of this you will find a fully immersed and integrated experience while enjoying the excitement of character development, combat, and leveling.

While promoting NW, I would also recommend that you try two of the other MUDS that have given responses here, namely Threshold and 4 Dimensions.

Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Zivilyn

Ouch, recommend 2 others, only 3 posted, kind of a slap eh there Newworlds? I realize I haven't posted a lot on the new forum, but I generally am a helpful individual and have donated much to the community. I step on a toe somewhere along the line?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Not at all Zivilyn. I just haven't played your game before but have played the other two, so I recommended the one's that I played. Sorry if it felt like a slight. I'm sure your game can be just as fun ;-)
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Zivilyn

Lol, no worries, I was just wondering . Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Sandra

Home MUD: LegendMUD
Sandra is on a distinguished road

I'll give you some information about LegendMUD here as well.

Legend is a level-based mud. We have 50 levels and a post-game set of Era levels that allows you to learn special skills and abilities.

Of course we think it's fun! We do encourage grouping as well as solo play.

- Group quests ect

We have well over 100 quests. Some are group oriented, some are solo. They also range from simple to epic in nature.

Legend boasts 3 different pk systems. We have a dueling system for those that just like to dabble, up to our PKE system which is standard PK where you can be attacked by any other PKE character. With dueling, you can duel to a certain amount of health, or to the death. Our third system is called PKOK and it's our "middle ground" in pk. You choose who wil be allowed to attack you by accepting them into your list of enemies.

Right now, we're at our summertime low, like a lot of others. But we range from 10-26 players online, and there are generally people around the clock. During the normal season, our numbers will just about double.

We're not a rom-based mud. We're a severely modified DIKU. But with loads of helpfiles, learning the ropes isn't too tough!

Nope, won't find that here. Our staff is very professional.

- Questing

As above, we've got well over 100. Each area has a minimum of 2 with some upwards of 12. All completely automated. We have no immortal-run quests. Though we often do have immortal-run games.

We currently have just over 6k rooms. It is 100% original and we're constantly working to add more areas. We've 2 more in progress right now.

Good luck in your search!
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote