Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 07-02-2002, 08:41 AM   #1
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

The creators of Inferno, Ice9 Inc. are rolling out a second game, with a lower price, to cater to folks who love roleplay, but also love the hack-n-slash aspect of gaming. This won't be a hack-n-slash MU*, but rather a RPG with looser restrictions on PvP and scripting than the original Inferno has now. The existing Inferno isn't going anywhere, but it's going through a few significant changes as well. The link above explains all.

For those who have tried Inferno in the past and felt it was too rigid in RP, I highly recommend you read the link. For those who haven't tried Inferno and are learning of its existence for the first time in this post, I urge you all to check out their homepage:

or click on the game info here on the Topmudsites listings, and check out the reviews here too.

Jazuela - happy darklander since 1999
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
kleftis

kleftis is on a distinguished road
$30 bucks a month is outragous
kleftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
Jazuela

The game I am referring to - the "second" Inferno game, is going to cost $15 a month. The charge you refer to is for the original game, which has always been a pay-to-pay and in fact used to cost an hourly rate a few years ago. For people who DO play pay-to-play games, Inferno offers quite a lot for the money, with no additional charges for "special events" or "equipment" or that sort of thing.

Keep in mind, not all MUDs are free, and the MUD community has *always* consisted of more than just free games. If you think $30 a month is too much (or even $15), then don't play. There are some of us who have no problem paying for what we're getting, and to us it's well worth it.

The point in my advertisement was to attract those who are familiar with the established legitimate pay-to-play community, and to those who have tried Inferno in the past.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:38 PM   #4
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
And this, my friends, is precisely why Pay to Play MUDs are not particularly well-liked in the community.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:38 AM   #5
Jazuela

I don't know what "this" refers to Dulan, but do bear in mind that the pay-to-play community is recognized as PART of the community. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is. This thread is an advertisement for Inferno, which is allowed according to the Terms of Service of this forum. The ToS does not prohibit advertising for pay-to-play games, and until it does, you have no call to come to the advertising forum and criticize the fact that I choose to post it.

If you have a complaint about the game itself, then by all means feel free to do so in the appropriate topic.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:31 PM   #6
Dulan

I think my previous post speaks for itself in response to your post.

Heh. You seem to be under a misconception about what I said - a recognized part, yes. But the majority of MUDders still dislike them - for reasons other then money.

-D
Old 07-27-2002, 03:12 PM   #7
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

All the same, Dulan: It's rather inappropriate to turn this advertising thread into an attack. As was properly pointed out, there's nothing in TMS' rules against allowing pay-to-play games to advertise.

Would you want to be harassed if you ran a game based on a theme someone hated, and they decided to flame you just because you advertised?

I think it's a mistake to target any text-based game that seeks to advertise using this forum. If you want to rant against the pay-to-play philosophy, use the Tavern of the Blue Hand or write a column for posting here at TMS.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:01 AM   #8
Dulan

And where in TMS' rules is it against commenting on PtP MUDs, hmm?

I'm an equal-opportunity hypocrite when it comes to PtP MUDs, bud.

-D
Old 07-28-2002, 03:31 AM   #9
Ytrewtsu

Ytrewtsu is on a distinguished road
I think Brody's point was that if you want to flame someone (as you often seem to desire), you need to take it to another forum where it fits the topic.

Ytrewtsu
Ytrewtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:01 PM   #10
Dulan

Old 07-28-2002, 02:53 PM   #11
Brody
Legend

Smile

Old 07-28-2002, 04:53 PM   #12
Dulan

Heh. Amusing, Brody.

But, I believe this is the place to <comment> on MUDs that do advertise. Advertising doesn't necessarily imply good or bad advertising - sure, I can go post a nasty advertisement for Inferno, but I really think that that would fall under the heading of 'spam'.

-D
Old 07-28-2002, 05:19 PM   #13
Brody
Legend

Smile

Eh. Just keep in mind that every time you post an addition to this thread, you push it back to the top of the forum discussions and give Inferno more advertising, which, well, seems to run counter to your goal.

The best move would be to go make more productive contributions to other discussions, bury the ad and proceed with your life. You should have better things to do.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:31 PM   #14
Nexty

Nexty is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to point out to Jazuela that the following statment on the Inferno RPG News is incorrect.

<<While the price hike for the original Inferno may seem steep, we believe we offer a strong value in comparison to Gemstone Platinum, priced at almost triple our new price>>

Gemstone Platinum's monthly fee is about 43-45 dollars. That price includes access to the orignal Gemstone 3 and gives premium status to the orignal game. When Gemstone and DragonRealms Platinum first started the monthly cost was around 60 or 80 dollars. I can't remember which. The price was cut down to the 40's in the last year or so. Might want to to cut out the triple the price part.

-Nexty-

P.S. As I was typing this I relised that I might be wrong about the price. I can't check the play.net site to be sure, at the moment, it seems to be down. If I'm wrong then the max it costs now is 50 something dollars.
Nexty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:15 AM   #15
Jazuela

I know. Kaaz (the admin of Inferno) had a meeting with all of the players to tell us about the new game coming, and one of the GSers corrected him at the meeting. He based the comparison on old information, when Platinum was first rolled out in Gemstone. Hopefully he'll fix that soon.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:33 AM   #16
Jazuela

Uh...Brody, Synozeer, any mod at all? This wasn't a poll when I started the thread in 2002. I have no idea how it got bumped up to the current threads list. All the information is obsolete, I haven't even played Inferno in over two years. Would someone please delete this thread?

Inferno RPG - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inferno Is Open For Business Malifax Advertising for Players 13 08-03-2006 04:06 PM
anything  like inferno w/o price tag guru4u Advertising for Players 2 06-19-2003 07:58 AM
Inferno Cprice Advertising for Players 0 01-27-2003 09:38 AM
Drop in to the Inferno Azimuth Advertising for Players 3 01-24-2003 11:11 AM
Inferno RPG Jazuela Advertising for Players 0 04-20-2002 08:12 AM