Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 07-23-2002, 04:35 AM   #1
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
I admit to not having kept great tabs on the patches that have been coming out recently for various codebases, but I haven't heard of any kind of disciplinary patches coming out.  Would there be any interest in patches derived from stock code that can get the game itself to enforce rules the admins come up with?

Templates can be easily drawn up in extra source files that can be patched in quickly enough, enforcing punishment for multiplaying, spampking, spamming, or whatever other rules someone may want to enforce.

Simplistic templates (theoretically) could be written up in not too long a time, and a few of these could be used to demonstrate to even novice coders how to go about coding rules into the game.  A wider enthusiasm and understanding of how to do things like this may be a good way of making MUDs work more the way their admins want them to.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 10:44 AM   #2
LordKiev

LordKiev is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LordKiev
I haven't taken a look at the code, but the HC/Owner of the MUD I'm coding on modified socketing a little bit, and one of the things he did was check to see if two people are logged in from the same IP. If they are, it flags. Since we have limited multiplay, it isn't a problem. As for the spamming, we have an emote checker piece of code. It saves your last 20 emotes and if you repeat, it flags. Same with excessive color coding, etc. But checking for multiplay is iffy. If you have shell access anywhere that's an extra IP/host. There are tests that humans can run, but they have to be evaluated by humans.
LordKiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
Multiplaying on the MUDs I normally admin/play is usually not a big deal. I'd just like to see/help with a group who would enjoy creating templates for the code-based enforcement of common rules that immortals normally have to be bothered with all the time on a MUD. Take the personal conflicts out of the game by coding punishment for transgressions.

Multiplaying would be an interesting one to deal with, however, and it would be very different for each MUD. Some want no multiplaying at all; some allow for 2 characters, and some don't care as long as you don't use it to gain a big advantage in play, e.g. spamkilling a multi to get a better pk ratio, etc.

I'd enjoy exploring different reasons for each rule, and coming up with code that could be used as a template upon which administrators can (without a whole lot of coding knowledge) implement their rules a little more effectively than just saying "don't do it" and catching the random idiot who doesn't realize that imms can be online and incognito.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
It's fairly easy to check multiplaying, simply iterate through the descriptor list a second time and look for matches. It's better to either disable the hostname lookup - gethossbyaddr() (which has problems of its own, when incompetent ISP techies set up their name lookups poorly) - or store the numeric IP address in a seperate field prior to resolving the name, as comparison of numerics is more efficient than string comparisons. So, store the octet IP and check for its presence on other descriptors. If you'd like, include the subnet mask as well, but if you check only against the domain and not the host, you'll get a lot of false matches (as two people from the same server cluster on AOL connect, for example). Do this in a snippet form, or even standalone prior to the descriptor being passed to the game loop,

As far as other templates.... I'm not sure that it'd be more trouble than it's worth. In my exerience, those who rely entirely on snippets will either a)install the template you use and not even give you the decency of a notification, or b)use it and gain absolutely no knowledge out of it. Call me cynical (I call it pragmatism), but I think that there'd be little or no knowledge gained from it by those who used it. And, apart from being very generic, it's difficult to account for everyone's changes they've made to their game. And the time saved from shoehorning a generic template into a game would be offset by the advantage it would provide.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote