Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Magnamund

After mentioning it on another thread, now I think about it, it amazes me that of all the worlds that MUD's have copied, one of the richest, most deeply defined, the world of Lone Wolf has never been used.

The creators Gary Chalk and Joe Dever have even given permission for all the books, including the Magnamund companion which contains everything about the world, to be released freely on the internet, and Lone Wolf still won a best fantasy book award only last year.

The art, the world, the classes, everything is so distinctive it is crying out for a game.. all the hard work is already DONE!

*sigh*... if only I had 1) two lifetimes 2) spare time 3) the slightest clue where to start..
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
ShadowsDawn

Home MUD: New Worlds: Ateraan
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
ShadowsDawn is on a distinguished road
Re: Magnamund

I had at one point started making a MUD based way to go through the books using NakedMUD. I kinda lost the spare time so the code sits on my machine.

Also there are still strict requirements on useage of the text. Including, it has to be hosted/only available at ProjectAon if it is made available to the public.
ShadowsDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Oh come now, why create a world that is ripe for the taking and predeveloped for you when you can create everything yourself over a few decades.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

They've given permission to download the books, but . They also require that any software based on their work must be on the Project Aon website.

There's an email address provided, so if you do consider creating a Lone Wolf mud I would suggest contacting them first. It may be that they won't mind, perhaps they'll even offer you hosting - but best to find out for sure before investing too much time IMO.

Shegga ash taag!
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough

Oh I would always do that, a few years ago, I started writing a piece of Interactive fiction based on Sorcery (the FF book by Steve Jackson) which was set some time before the story and eventually led to the main story itself.

Steve Jackson was very imrpessed, but I had to stop work as he had sold the rights to produce any kind of RPG game to a mobile phone company.. who ended up not bothering finishing the project. Really annoying.

I am tempted as a pet project to make a start, there appears to be enough interest to maybe rope in some assistance.. now all I need is a really amazing codebase that handled large outdoor areas really well.. hmm.. wonder if GodWars 2 is avaialble XD

I would not be in it for money, and would expect to host it on project Aeon anyway, and I am sure they would love to not only keep the world of LW ticking, but to move it in new areas.. who knows.. its all pie in the sky anyway as I am so busy right now, and dont have a lot of time for hobbies.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote