Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Spearman

Spearman is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone, looking for a good MUD

Hi folks, I recently started learning spear in my aikido class. I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with it, and I'm hoping to find a MUD where I can pvp effectively with a class that makes us of a spear. Any suggestions?
Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello everyone, looking for a good MUD

I don't think any PVP mud can match God Wars 2 for ranged combat.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

Hi,
The thing is, most muds have "spear" skills; that is, a weapon named spear. I've played many, however, and very few actually differentiate among weapons. In most, a spear is just another name for a sword; it might have more damage output and be slower, perhaps. That said, the requirement you've stated leaves this very, very wide open. By which I mean, just about any fantasy mud based off diku/rom, or any fantasy mud, for that matter.

So, a few reccomendations. Godwars 2 is probably the way to go if you want ranged combat; it's full pk, and uses a fighting game-like combat system. If you've played muds before, you have to throw everything you know out the window, and I do mean everything.

Another that has good pk, sometimes, is lost souls; this mud makes godwars 2 look like kindergarten, but pk doesn't happen that often. It is unbelieveably hard (think nethack hard), and death is actually far from the worst thing that can happen to you. O, and did I mention this is hard?
That said, lost souls does have a lot of cool features, like the erision liberation front, and there is the brute squad which everyone calls the "easy mode". For uniqueness, lost souls takes the cake, here.

Another option is the old godwars codebase-based muds; there's a few that are really active, still, such as moments of hatred. Again, this doesn't differentiate between spear as anything special (I'm not even sure it had one to be honest), but it does have brilliant pk.

Finally, just a couple more names to look up: Project Bob (no pk, but differentiates nicely between weapons with a wide variety of playstyles and diablo-like loot), Dark Legacy (no longer being developed/supported, but you're not going to beat it for crafting-related stuff anywhere), and batmud (wide variety of guilds, huge playerbase: upwards of 200 often).

If you give us more information, we can probably be more specific; your best bet from what's given is perhaps to go find a role-play intensive mud (rpi), where you can pretend to be whoever you want to be; I don't personally like these, but that's mainly for lack of rp skill. They, again, don't generally tend to differentiate a spear as something different from a sword or dagger, but you at least have the option to pretend that they do in-character without being thought odd. Mind you, this is just a way out there idea, as spear fighting wouldn't, or so I think, change your personality or conversations much.

In short, more information would help.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

The spear in God Wars II is used a bit like a martial arts weapon when wielded two handed, although not to the same extent as the staff. Combat is manual, with each weapon having its own fighting techniques - here's an example fight using a spear, to give you a better idea of what it looks like:

You draw your spear from across your back with your right hand.

You grip the shaft of your spear with both hands.

You raise your spear into a defensive guard.

You raise the shaft of your spear into a blocking position.

You prepare to perform a counter-attack with your spear.
The hideous ogre throws a clumsy left punch at your stomach.
You block his fist with the shaft of your spear.

You roll your spear past the hideous ogre's guard and counter-attack!
You slam the full shaft of your spear into the hideous ogre's ugly face, breaking his nose!

The hideous ogre throws a clumsy right punch at your face.
You duck under his fist.

You whirl your spear around your body.

The hideous ogre throws a clumsy left punch at your face.
You block his fist with your spear.

You hook the hideous ogre's legs out from under him with your spear.

The hideous ogre crashes to the wooden floor.

You stamp on the hideous ogre's groin with your right boot.

You thrust your spear into the hideous ogre's bare chest, drawing blood.

The hideous ogre clambers back up to his feet.

You slam a front kick into the hideous ogre's groin.

The hideous ogre throws a clumsy left punch at your stomach.
You knock his fist aside with your spear.
The hideous ogre snaps at you with his powerful jaws.
You sidestep to the left of his bite.

You slam the haft of your spear into the hideous ogre's ugly face, shattering his already broken nose!

You perform the technique known as 'Striking Hawk'.
You spin your spear swiftly across the hideous ogre's neck, decapitating him!
The hideous ogre's body goes limp.
You have hit your Primal cap, and thus earn nothing (see 'help primal').

A hideous ogre's severed head crashes to the wooden floor.

The hideous ogre's headless corpse crashes to the wooden floor.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae

Yeah, not sure if you're looking for more of a rp or hack-n-slash mud. is a nice rp mud with an interesting combat system, somewhat similar to what KaVir posted about GodWars II, though not quite as detailed. You can set offensive to defensive fighting moods, and different weapons allow for different "specials" to be used in combat, plus they have different speeds of attack and different parry abilities.

Spear is a pretty popular weapon. I think two guilds in game have spears as their special guild weapon. It might take quite a bit of training before you become an effective pvp player though (unless you happen to fight pretty weak chars). Most of the pvp occurs between guilds, which can be thought of as "classes" although it's a level-less and class-less mud. Anyone can pvp though, but unless you have a good reason you might be charged with attempted murder.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Come to ArcticMUD, start your career as a thief, find a decent spear and start to wreak havoc! A legendary thief is one of the most dangerous and feared classes since they can kill almost every opponent in PvP with just one carefully placed backstab!
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I would have to agree with KaVir if you are looking for a pk game with an emphasis on combat strategy and technique. God Wars II is what you will want.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
ReanA

ReanA is on a distinguished road

Achaea is a pretty good MUD for both melee combat (including a class that utilizes a spear) and ranged combat, but I'd say it isn't as detailed-manual in weapon-combat as God Wars II seems to be (as in raising spear to block, etc.), but I haven't ever seen a MUD with as many different skills with such varying effects as Achaea. Ranged combat is pretty fun as well, but lately the metagame has shifted from 1v1 to group combat, which is a whole different beast.

Whether you stick with God Wars II or give Achaea a shot, welcome and have fun!!
ReanA is offline   Reply With Quote